Phillips Screwdriver basics for beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll second the Wiha recommendation. Found them when I was looking for a full set of Pozidriv drivers and bits. Nice tools.

Craftsman Pro are also good.

I like the hole in the handle, let's you put another driver through for a bit more leverage.

I got so tired of Philips screwdrivers that wouldn't last, that 25 years ago I switched to a screwdriver that uses replaceable tips and never looked back. These tips are 62 HRC. If you shop around you can get many different sized tips for about 10¢ a tip. It's not unusual for tips to last over 10 years.

Edit: 62HRC is an excellent hardness for the tips, but too brittle for the shaft. Solid piece screwdrivers are at best a compromise in hardness and toughness reqirements between the tip and shank. I believe replaceable tips or hardened tips are the way to go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
The people who are claiming the HF Chinese screwdrivers are better than Snap-On or MAC are fooling themselves, I believe.

Also, first world screwdrivers don't have to be expensive. But, avoid the regular Craftsman drivers, they aren't very good. There are just too many good, affordable American and European screwdriver choices to go Chinese, IMO.

Pratt-Read screwdrivers are pretty decent and can be had cheap at Harry Epstein.

But, there are some good European drivers to consider.

I don't own these Wihas, but I've been considering buying them. They're made in Germany. Wiha tools have a very good reputation on tool forums.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002FTA4A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
41UYTz4T8PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These Weras are made in the Czech Republic. I bought sets of these for all my friends for this Christmas. They have hard handles. The tips appeared to be very well shaped.
http://www.amazon.com/Wera-Kraftform-Cla...2494&sr=8-6
41J4Cchva6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Williams USA made screwdrivers are very similar to the Snap-On drivers. They're a little pricier than the other options.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NH5...8-2&seller=
41rp6JGzv5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also, I've owned a couple of the Craftsman Pro screwdrivers and I think they're pretty high quality. They're a big step up from the regular Craftsman drivers, IMO.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00949020000P?prdNo=23&blockNo=23&blockType=G23

And, here are some other options to consider.
http://www.amazon.com/Felo-07157-28009-P...804&sr=8-13

http://www.amazon.com/Felo-0715750174-Sl...804&sr=8-16

I don't see anyone posting that HF was better or even equal to Snap On. I own Snap On, Craftsman and many other tools - even some HF. I know the HF won't top the better brands, but I can't help but notice that their quality has gotten a whole lot better while other popular makes are starting to be made in China anyway and that makes the value content of HF tools rise.

I soooo agree with you about the regular Craftsman screwdrivers - they stink. I got tired of them rounding out just looking cheap. I may try thier professional line one day, but for now my Snap On set from 1980 is still doing well plus I have about 4 sets of HF Pittsburg brand to last me
smile.gif

You posted some good links - looks like some real good options there.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I don't see anyone posting that HF was better or even equal to Snap On. I own Snap On, Craftsman and many other tools - even some HF. I know the HF won't top the better brands, but I can't help but notice that their quality has gotten a whole lot better while other popular makes are starting to be made in China anyway and that makes the value content of HF tools rise.

This person is claiming they don't use their Snap-On or MATCO screwdrivers because the HF ones are so great, in their opinion.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

These are very good though. My Snap-On and Matco Screwdrivers sit in the tool box now and I use these exclusivly.
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-color-grip-screwdriver-set-36788.html

I'll admit the new HF screwdrivers don't look too bad, but there are too many good American and European choices to go for Chinese screwdrivers, IMO.

Last edited:
I don't plan to know a lot of screwdrivers, but here are my thoughts: i wear out phillips heads a lot. I use #2 the most, followed by #3 and #1. Occaisionally a #0

Craftsman regular: Average of everything. Slips out of screw when a more torque is applied, Average wear, the #2 I replace about every 2 years. Ive had these a long time, over a decade.

Craftsman socket-bits: I like these a lot. The grips well despite undergoing higher torque and I havent worn them out yet.

Vessel Megadora 930: Japanese made, and very nice. They dont slip at all, I have only had them about a month

HF Free black ones: Grip well and dosent slip out - but I snapped the P1 using hand strength alone! Also, They wear out really quick. I'd say they're completely mangled after 30 wood screws. So instead of slipping out of screws when higher torque is applied, Ive basically destroyed the tips instead. Ive gone through 4 sets of these in the last year - freebes, yes. Long lasting, No.

HF Green handle #2. Only got one of these a month ago, seems to grip similar to slightly better than regular craftsman. Cant say as to longevity.

HF 1/2 drive socket bits. These seem to slip out fairly easily, yet they havent shown much wear after a while.

When did Craftsman clear handle screw drivers start becoming bad? I have a set which I am happy with but it was purchased many years ago. I also have Klien and I find both Craftsman and Klien equally good.

A question for OP, where do you use screwdriver when repairing car? Often, one can use a nutdriver instead if that fastener allows both a screwdriver and a socket. Otherwise, it is usually time to take impact driver to it. A regular screwdriver would most likely ruin the screw if it has been on the car for many years. And it would not matter which screwdriver you used.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
When did Craftsman clear handle screw drivers start becoming bad? I have a set which I am happy with but it was purchased many years ago.

I think around the late 1990's to 2000's since every one I've owned since that period has been soft and basically disappointing to me.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
When did Craftsman clear handle screw drivers start becoming bad? I have a set which I am happy with but it was purchased many years ago.

I think around the late 1990's to 2000's since every one I've owned since that period has been soft and basically disappointing to me.

But I bet you haven't owned any Canadian ones
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Klein are one of the best American made tools on the market, not cheap but they will last a lifetime.
IMO for pliers forget the rest and just buy Klein they rival or exceed any brand including the German makes.

One brand that is often overlooked is Witte, these are top shelf German and sold in the US.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WITTE-C...CFcZM4AodzB1iQA

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/KLEIN-T...m_vc=IDPRRTEST2

You know your stuff
thumbsup2.gif
All my Trade (electrical) hand tools are Klein, used just about every brand and IMO Klein is top notch.

[edit]= everything is Klein except my Channel Lock pliers.

Last edited:
When did Craftsman clear handle screw drivers start becoming bad? I have a set which I am happy with but it was purchased many years ago. I also have Klien and I find both Craftsman and Klien equally good.

A question for OP, where do you use screwdriver when repairing car? Often, one can use a nutdriver instead if that fastener allows both a screwdriver and a socket. Otherwise, it is usually time to take impact driver to it. A regular screwdriver would most likely ruin the screw if it has been on the car for many years. And it would not matter which screwdriver you used.

- Vikas

What I took the fastener that has both a socket indention and a slotted of phillips head in the center is that to tighten you use your screwdriver until it is almost tight, then you hit it with a socket wrench just to snug it (like 1/10 of a turn). I love those fasteners they make judging torque values elementary.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
He did?

Quote:
Is there a good American-made set anyone can recommend (or good German failing that)?

I don't see anything about inexpensive there?

Nope, not looking for inexpensive, just mentioned that I don't have to spend a lot if a lesser price tool would be durable and functional for a home mechanic/around the house use.

- Vikas

Vikas, as to craftsman quality. I got my Dad a Craftsman slotted screwdriver in the late eighties that was very well made that I still have and use (and guard). I got a craftsman torx set a couple of years ago and it feels much less substantial and looks less well made by far.

As to your question to me: I use a socket if the screw offer the ability to do it. Most of the screwdriver issues I've had are up under the dash of my Jag working on the A/c blowers. Also, the cam cover uses screws that aren't rachetable. I don't have an impact driver.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

This person is claiming they don't use their Snap-On or MATCO screwdrivers because the HF ones are so great, in their opinion.

If you find this person, let them know I will buy them a new set of HF screwdrivers to trade for their old used Snap On drivers.
smile.gif

If working on a lot of Japanese vehicles you'll need JIS phillips - although you find a mixture of JIS and ISO on Japanese stuff. I have both - if my T&E doesn't work, I'll get out my Matco.

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
The Armstrong and the Wright both have good looking sets. Also went and looked at Wiha that I've seen recommended in other settings; they have a dizzying array of choices.

Back to part of the original question, what are the things to look for - handle, tip, etc?
Hardened tips make a difference and last much longer. Handle style all depends on what's comfortable to you, size of your hands, finger length, etc. My old-school A&P uncle only used wood handled screwdrivers. I bought a set and still use them, but I also own 30 year old Craftsman and a newer set from Wiha, which are really nice. Finally, it's best to always match the driver size to the screw, Phillips will easily cam-out and wreck the screw if the wrong size is used so make sure you have (at least) one in each size. Sometimes you need a real "pointy" headed, small driver while other times you need a big, fat, "dull" headed one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back