Permatex instead of cork gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep getting leaks from the bolt holes in my transmission pan. They don't make rubber gaskets for my transmission pan, so i'm thinking of using some permatex gasket sealer instead of the cork gasket.

Do you think this will help with the leaks? Or, should i use another cork gasket AND some gasket sealer?

thanks!

Cork gaskets suck Oh I mean they leak
smile.gif

gasket sealer works good but your silicone levels will
spike for a while.
Ken

i would clean both surfaces really well, wipe them with carb cleaner, then the gasket , really thin permatex with cork. Better would be the rubber gasket and no sealer.

Yes, RTV by itself can work just fine- that's how Mopar has been doing it for years. Just make sure you clean the surfaces well.

Personally, I'd just use the cork gasket- they work ok if you're careful with them... not great, but ok. First, make sure the gasket surface on the pan isn't warped- often it'll be pulled in around the bolt holes. I've hammered them flat... that might work for you if you're awesome like I am. But if you're not as awesome as I am, you might mess up the pan. So be careful. Anyhow, I prefer to glue the cork gasket onto the pan with 3M weatherstripping adhesive, and give it some time to set up. Then make sure that the gasket surface on the bottom on the trans case is clean and dry, and don't put ANYTHING else on the gasket (Putting RTV on it will just facilitate its squishing out). Install the pan and don't tighten the bolts too tight- just snug them up with one hand. Too much torque, and it'll split and/or squish out the gasket.

Fill the transmission, make sure nothing leaks, use the vehicle for a week, then tighten the bolts again. This has always worked well enough for me.

But whatever you do, DON'T install a cork gasket with RTV. It just doesn't work well.

RTV can work by itself, but #1 or #2 permatex is a poor choice for this application [by itself].

An old trick is to glue the cork gasket to the pan. 3M weatherstripping glue works well, and is fast. So is 'Seal All'.
#1 permatex dries hard and will work.
These will keep the gasket from splaying out when you tighten the pan. At least a lot better than a squishy slippery lube!
You can apply a less vigorous sealer to the tranny side of the pan to ensure a good seal, and allow removal. You still can't overtorque those bolts!
See if a modern material gasket is available as your first choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back