Pentastar Engine Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a '13 Durango with the Pentastar last week. The more I've driven it (only abt. 300 miles so far), the more I'm bothered by the engine noise on moderate or greater acceleration. All the magazine reviews I've read prasied the NVH overall. But I rented a Traverse and Enclave a month ago on a family trip and both seemed quieter and more refined in terms of engine noise & vibration from what I remember.

Anybody else driven a Pentastar-equipped vehicle and another V6 vehicle in the same class and noticed the same thing? Or the opposite?

Originally Posted By: kam327
Anybody else driven a Pentastar-equipped vehicle and another V6 vehicle in the same class and noticed the same thing? Or the opposite?

It's certainly not what I'd call a "quiet" engine. To the contrary, I'd call it somewhat loud in my folks' 2012 Wrangler. I rented a 2012 300 with the Pentastar and found it to be fairly quiet, though not as quiet as our Acura's 3.5L V-6. It does seem that you would expect it to be quieter, given how smooth it is, so I know what you're saying. That seems to be just how they are. Does your engine have the insulating cover on top of the intake manifold? That does make a difference.

See if it is coming from the right or left head, or just ticking injectors. They are having problems with the left cylinder head. They aren't quiet engines, but Google Pentastar tick to learn more about it. It was noted with early Pentastar engines but even some of the early 2013's had the problem too. Here's a thread I started about it. HTH

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2892217&page=1

Last edited:
I had this experience with a different make/model. Eventually discovered one of the firewall plugs around the brake pedal was not fully seated, letting in engine noise.

You could ask to drive a new one at the dealership and see if it's comparable.

Hokiefyd - It does have the engine cover.

demarpaint - yes I read about the ticking symptom. This is not a ticking, just general engine noise.

Danh - I did test drive a lower trim level at another dealer and the engine noise did not strike me as unusual. Then the next day I test drove this one and wasn't quite sure about it. Then asked to drive another nearly-identical one right after that and it was exactly the same way. Not sure why the one the previous day seemed quieter. Perhaps I just wasn't paying enough attention the previous day. But I may ask to drive another one anyway.

if it's not a specific tick or pop I wouldn't get too concerned. Even ticking itself is not a big deal. even valve tap.

I had a jeep 3.7 that was raucous under the hood from day 1. The injectors made a TON of noise. I figured it was the valves, but it wasn't.

Some runs of the pentastars have had a head problem, but that doesn't sound like what you are experiencing. could be some buyer's remorse trying to make you nervous and antsy as well.

The few times I have driven that 3.6, I have been very impressed by the power, early torque, and fuel efficiency. Great driving motor.

Just bought a Dodge GC, with the Pentastar 3.6 engine. It's definitely nosier then the old GC 3.3 it replaced. That 3.3 was about the quietest modern engine I've ever owned, on a par with my old Dodge Dart slant 6. We're 937 miles into a 10 day shake down trip right now. 26.3 MPG so far. Not too bad.

Originally Posted By: meep

The few times I have driven that 3.6, I have been very impressed by the power, early torque, and fuel efficiency. Great driving motor.

Totally agree meep.

Wayne

Last edited:
seeing as how less than 1% of them are affected the odds are definitely in the OP's favor. Well over a million on the road already.

As is typical with the Internet these days the issue has been greatly inflated by excessive speculation. Pretty much old news now.

demarpaint - yes I read about the ticking symptom. This is not a ticking, just general engine noise.

It is a noisy engine. I'd drive it and not worry about it. If you get a CEL then worry about it, otherwise enjoy it!

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Just bought a Dodge GC, with the Pentastar 3.6 engine. It's definitely nosier then the old GC 3.3 it replaced. That 3.3 was about the quietest modern engine I've ever owned, on a par with my old Dodge Dart slant 6. We're 937 miles into a 10 day shake down trip right now. 26.3 MPG so far. Not too bad.

That's some good firsthand feedback Wayne. Thanks. My neighbors have a '12 Town & Country. I assume it must have the Pentastar. I always thought it was noisy from the exterior when they accelerate down the street. Guess I shouldn't be surprised it's so noisy from the inside in my Durango.

This V6 is significantly noisier than the 3.5L in our old '08 Taurus.

GM vehicles of the last couple years are extremely quiet, so I would expect the Traverse and especially Enclave to be a little quieter inside.

I've rented 300s, Caravans, Chargers and Avengers with the Pentastar, and I could hear the engine a bit but I didn't think it was obtrusive or too loud - the Pentastar has a great sound to it and I liked hearing it a bit.

That's a great truck and a great engine you have there. Smooth, great power and great fuel economy. Enjoy it!

I drove a hired Challenger with the 3.6 for 4 days and I don't recall the motor being especially chatty.

Maybe I just liked the way it sounded...

^^^ they have a sort of "growling" undertone. I personally like it.

Yes, a "growl" is a good word for the noise I'm describing. But it's not necessarily a muscle car growl. It's more of an overloaded, raucous growl. It would be ok in the Charger and the like, but to me it's out of place in a $40k crossover.

My parents have a T&C with the pentastar. A raucous growl does describe the engine note pretty well when i've rode in it but I kinda liked it as well. Not as smooth as my 5.3 GM V-8 but still entertaining IMO.

I can't say I noticed any annoying noise from the pentastar in driving a rental Grand Cherokee. Sounded OK to me, even lugging the GC around.

^^^ they have a sort of "growling" undertone. I personally like it.

Yes, a "growl" is a good word for the noise I'm describing. But it's not necessarily a muscle car growl. It's more of an overloaded, raucous growl. It would be ok in the Charger and the like, but to me it's out of place in a $40k crossover.

Yeah. It sound like the cam phasing when it operates throttle open, in an atkinson cycle. One could probably eliminate it with more intake resonators/mufflers, usually the opposite of other people do
smile.gif
The intake design on the many vehicles it's fitted to are obviously different and would make the engine sound louder/quieter in different apps. That's my guess. It sounds sporty, but not everyone likes that "CAI" sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back