Pennzoil Ultra... any further news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having rebates available for the motivated, allows me to be generous with my stash. I gave my friend 5 old quarts of PP for his new G5, and then he went and bought a jug for his truck.

fwiw he BYOed the oil to his Pontiac dealer and will go full olm on it.

I just found it on the shelves in Hilo Hawaii. I don't know why... But it is here in the middle of the ocean. Wally-world had 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30. I did not catch the price but i think it was about $7.50ish (Mobil1 is $7.00 here).

I thought you fellow oil guys would like to know.
Greg

Originally Posted By: sneakboxer
I just found it on the shelves in Hilo Hawaii. I don't know why... But it is here in the middle of the ocean. Wally-world had 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30. I did not catch the price but i think it was about $7.50ish (Mobil1 is $7.00 here).

Greg

1557.jpg

Originally Posted By: sneakboxer

Greg

None here on Oahu been going to WM weekly checking things out.

Maybe it was PP by mistake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: beast3300
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Pennzoil Ultra 41.39 for 6 quarts.

WOW! Where did you see it?

I do believe that was old postjeeprcr's way of cracking a joke.

Nope. That's the price at one of the online oil stores.

Originally Posted By: pennzoil_guru
Let's hope this oil becomes available in Canada. We Canucks still can't get EDGE anywhere.

Another thread on here mentions it has been spotted at Canadian Tire but it's $13 a liter!

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
PENNZOIL ULTRA MSDS

5W-20
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00061492.PDF

5W-30
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00061491.PDF

10W-30
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00061493.PDF

MSDS for Ultra in section 2:

"COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS"
5W-20: Blend of synthetic hydrocarbon, polyalphaolefins and additives.
5W-30: Blend of polyolefins, hydrocarbon solvent and additives.
10W-30: Blend of synthetic hydrocarbon, polyalphaolefins and additives.

Why is 5W-30 different? Is one composition better and if so, why?

Good, more for me. That's a deal for what you are getting. No other oil available meets more specs and has that high of a Tbn.

Originally Posted By: buster
Good, more for me. That's a deal for what you are getting. No other oil available meets more specs and has that high of a Tbn.

Looks like Amsoil and RL better get back to the drawing board.
27.gif
My bet is AAP will work this oil into an OC special very soon. I still have some PP to use up, and will wait for more reports. I can use their 5W30 based on feedback from here.

Not even in the same league as redline, but certainly priced close enough to make some think it is? Marketing works.

I think Quattro Pete hit the nail on the head. It's all about slotting. If you gain more slots you (a) have a more prominent presence and (b) deny those slots to competitors. It has to be one reason why XM has proliferated so many iterations of the M1 brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back