Pennzoil Platinum VS Ultra Platinum.

I've used PP and PUP for a number of years and, in recent batches, have found that there is less valve train clatter on a cold start with PUP. For that reason alone, I'll keep using PUP.

The only difference I know of is one is for sale while one’s not haha:D Most people here on bitog will get what I mean.

Pennzoil's syns are very thin, and they won't say why. :rolleyes:

Pennzoil's syns are very thin, and they won't say why. :rolleyes:

They meet the specifications for their grade.

The only significant difference between PP and PUP *might be* the service life. I remember reading that PUP is good up to 15k miles (like M1EP) and PP is good up to 10k miles (like M1 vanilla). I highlighted *might be* because to my knowledge this difference is not documented, but it seems plausible.

This is not an answer but an observation on the PUP.

I have a Hemi which consumes oil. The Platinum High Mileage 5W30 will go 3,000 miles and will still be in the safe range. The PUP 5W30 will need a quart added in only 3,000 miles. In short, the PUP goes through an oil burning Hemi fairly quickly.

If I recall correctly it may have something to do with the limited base oil viscosities available in GTL. They make grade, but yes thin for grade in 30 anyway.
From (Joe) SonofSonof,

Group I & II base oils come in light, heavy & very heavy varieties & are primarily good for 15W40s & 20W50s. You can make 5W30s, 10W30s & 10W40s with them but only if you're prepared to accept very high Noack.

Group IIIs (& I believe GTL) only come in light varieties (typically 4 to 6 cst). You can make narrow 0W-xx grades & wider 5W-xx grades with them which importantly have lower Noack. You definitely CAN'T make 15W40s & 20W50s from them. Given that the bulk of commercial synthetic oils are Group III based, going synthetic inevitably means a shift to thinner oils.

PAOs come in light, heavy & ultra heavy varieties. The most common varieties are 4 & 6 cst & these find most favour in 0W-xx top-tier oils where they have a small but significant advantage over Group IIIs. However you could conceptually make a full PAO 20W50 from PAO 10 & PAO 40. It would probably be a VII-free mono grade with a zero Noack!! It's commercially reality that rules out such oils rather than any technical reason.

This is not an answer but an observation on the PUP.

I have a Hemi which consumes oil. The Platinum High Mileage 5W30 will go 3,000 miles and will still be in the safe range. The PUP 5W30 will need a quart added in only 3,000 miles. In short, the PUP goes through an oil burning Hemi fairly quickly.
You are one of many who have had oil consumption issues with PUP 5W-30, myself included.

why pennoil not putting aluminum foil seal on their 5qt jugs? It comes handy when you buy it online, prevents messes during shipping.

Last edited:
The PPPP 10W-30 used to have better Noack than the PUP.

Not sure if that’s still true.

I tend to think of PUP as having a high VM content, and would avoid it for that reason.

obviously. I was expecting some feedback. Maybe you need to take a chill pill
If you message SOPUS they'll just basically blow you off and give you some kind've marketing spew answer. I'm probably sure a foil seal will cut into their budget too much.

Speaking of, who all does have the foil seals? From what I remember,M1 and Edge had them I think.

Back