Pennzoil Platinum vs. Amsoil annual cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Webfors - I'm using $19 for 5 quarts Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in my 08 Subaru Legacy GT for 3750 mile OCIs due to warranty concerns. It is ridiculous, but there it is. Pennzoil is probably the best synthetic at it's price point for shorter OCIs while still running a synthetic.

OP - I'm someone who just ran ~15,000 miles on AMSOIL SSO 0w30. I literally have the sample sitting in my car awaiting shipment to blackstone. So I say this as someone who was "walked the walk"...

Do you do lots of highway driving? Are most of your regular driving events for 20-30 minutes or more? Do you actually drive this truck for 20,000-30,000 miles a year (or will you?)?

Will you be doing lots of idling? Towing? Anything out of the norm?

Will you be operating in a dusty environment or doing alot of city driving (especially in a city like LA, with it's more polluted air)?

If you are doing primarily highway driving for 30+ minutes most days of the week and you don't want the hassle of changing your oil more frequently than necessary, then AMSOIL is probably your best bet. If you are cost conscious and fit any of the criteria I listed above in my questions, you will most likely want to go with a lower cost oil that you change more frequently to help remove contaminants/fuel/etc.

I personally chose AMSOIL because it allows me to only 2 oil changes a year (running ~15,000 miles per change) which is great since my oil changes are a real PITA due to the filter location. On top of that's it's a quality oil which keeps my engine wear down and helped reduce my car's consumption. But...each oil change honestly costs me about $90.....5 quarts of SSO, plus 3 quarts of top-off oil, plus a filter.

That's alot of money put into oil for 15,000 miles.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. Are you planning on using Amsoil after your warranty expires?

My driving habits:
25 miles on way to work in stop & go traffic (50 miles)
Weekends are mostly 25 miles (round trips)
No towing
Light off roading once a month

I drive a lot so that 20,000 miles per year is accurate. After much thought I’m going to stick with Pennzoil to avoid any warranty issues and change it when my DIC (Drivers Information Center) tells me to (which looks to be about 7-8K). And the fact that my truck has the 10/100,000 mile power train warranty, which we all know how the dealer tries to get out of fixing stuff, always looking for something to blame.

If you’re running 15,000 miles on Amsoil, then that $90 isn’t bad at all

Hey Gnet,

Just saw your response....I'm going to see how my blackstone analysis of SSO 0w30 comes back after 14,500 miles. If it's rock solid, I'll stick with AMSOIL. If it's at all questionable, then I can't rely on the oil to last me over 12-13k miles and it won't be worth it to me...I'll just do PP every 8-10k.

"If you’re running 15,000 miles on Amsoil, then that $90 isn’t bad at all "

The biggest thing to me is that means I don't have to change my oil except every 6 months. This saves me 2 changes a year. That is usually roughly 180 minutes of my life saved a year....due to how much my oil filter is a PITA (it's located in an area I can barely fit my hand into and which results in oil spilling all over the steering rack, cv joint, and undercarriage). So 3 hours of life and less spilled oil....= worth some extra money as long as the oil protects the engine well :)

Joe

Originally Posted By: JoeFromPA

Just saw your response....I'm going to see how my blackstone analysis of SSO 0w30 comes back after 14,500 miles. If it's rock solid, I'll stick with AMSOIL. If it's at all questionable, then I can't rely on the oil to last me over 12-13k miles and it won't be worth it to me...I'll just do PP every 8-10k.

Don't intend to bust your bubble, because I'm betting you'll get back great results, but if SSO has a hard time going 12-13k in your application, I wouldn't be so sure PP is going to necessarily be just dandy at 8-10k without a doubt.
Just a perspective. I run SSO, too -- in a turbo application.

Last edited:
IMHO, Amsoil isn't worth it these days. They have gone so much up in cost plus shipping that I ditched them after using them for years for Penzoil Plat or Ultra now. I have been saving money doing that and the oil performs just as good in my book.

Originally Posted By: G35_TX
IMHO, Amsoil isn't worth it these days. They have gone so much up in cost plus shipping that I ditched them after using them for years for Penzoil Plat or Ultra now. I have been saving money doing that and the oil performs just as good in my book.

Retail, I can see how you'd say it is expensive. PC or Dealer pricing, even with shipping, you can get less cost per mile with it. And if you will find a dealer in your area that stocks a bit you can probably nix 75%+ of the shipping cost.

Well I was a dealer that got it at the discounted price. It still came out way more than PP or Ultra and I couldn't justify the costs anymore for it.

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter

Retail, I can see how you'd say it is expensive. PC or Dealer pricing, even with shipping, you can get less cost per mile with it. And if you will find a dealer in your area that stocks a bit you can probably nix 75%+ of the shipping cost.

Well I was a dealer that got it at the discounted price. It still came out way more than PP or Ultra and I couldn't justify the costs anymore for it.

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter

Sounds like you don't drive enough for it to work out or there's some funny math in there. Just an educated guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back