Pennzoil Platinum vs. Amsoil annual cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would always use PP. With the kind of driving you do I would think that more frequent changes might help eliminate some of the possibility of dirt in the oil. The only way to solve that is to remove it, and the only way you're going to get potentially very small particles is by taking the oil out and putting new in.

My .02

Thanks for the replies. Cost isn’t the issue, more like which will protect my engine the best. Let me add that I live in So. CA where summers can get pretty hot 100+, as for winters, let’s just say that I can count the number of days that we don’t reach the 60 degree mark (daytime high) on one hand. So I’m looking at all year protection too. It’s a brand new truck that never gets warmed up, I pretty much start it and go.

The real question is this. Which would be better (overall) to protect my engine against wear, deposit, sludge?

Run Amsoil 5W-30 100% syn with the Amsoil filter in my truck for 1 year (20,000 miles)?
Or
Change it twice a year using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with new Wix filter at each oil change?

Well, since you say cost isn't an issue, neither one of your options would be the best overall, IMO.

The best overall would be to run the Amsoil and change it and the filter at 10k( twice a year). It prolly wouldn't matter too much which filter you ran, the EaO is a better filter, but the Wix is good, and at 10k OCIs either would work well.

It's my 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew with a 5.3L V8. Once I start it, it's off for a 25 mile (stop & go) trek to work. And the same back from work. And on weekends there are some short round-trips (a few under 1 mile (grocery store) and the reminder about 8 miles. The rest of the weekend trips are 25+ miles round trip. We pretty much always take my truck on weekends.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Well, since you say cost isn't an issue, neither one of your options would be the best overall, IMO.

Well, the annual cost was based on the Amsoil 25,000 mile or 1 year Syn oil and filter claim.

If your recommending that reduce this OCI to 10,000 miles, then I'll stick to PP.

Originally Posted By: gnet158

Well, the annual cost was based on the Amsoil 25,000 mile or 1 year Syn oil and filter claim.

If your recommending that reduce this OCI to 10,000 miles, then I'll stick to PP.

So cost is an issue?

Everyone commenting how the Amsoil or PP performs in your app is congecture. Try the PP and Wix 2X a year and do UOA's if it's good rest assured your good to go......or try this with the Amsoil and wix and do a UOA at 10k and see what's going on.

Originally Posted By: jerseygeorge
Everyone commenting how the Amsoil or PP performs in your app is congecture. Try the PP and Wix 2X a year and do UOA's if it's good rest assured your good to go......or try this with the Amsoil and wix and do a UOA at 10k and see what's going on.

+1 well said

Originally Posted By: harrydog

So cost is an issue?

Nope, it's more like not getting what you paid for. If somethings advertised to last a certain amount and doesn't then why spend the money on it rigth?

Originally Posted By: jerseygeorge

Makes sense, I was only wondering which route would be the best for my engine based on my driving habits and annual mileage. And the prospect of only doing one oil change a year was very tempting too.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
No.

I change the oil once a year in my 1996 Volvo and the engine is spotless and UOA's are great. I certainly don't go 20,000 miles per year anymore (more like 12K) with this car, but I have done a 20K UOA and the oil was in good shape.

32.gif
I'm coming up on my 12 month OCI (I'm using SSO) - and just for sport I may run Pennzoil YB 5W-30.....uh but I'm not even thinking I should go 6 months.

OK, this confuses me. If you're having good UOI's with Amsoil, why would you go to Pennzoil YB? It strikes me odd that you would want to try something different.
crazy2.gif

Which would you run if cost were no issue? I just did the math (loosely) based on my annual driving (20,000 miles per year) in stop and go city driving (50 miles round trip to work daily). Add alot of short trips and offroading in between and that pretty much sums up my drving. I’m not too sure about leaving any fluid in my truck for 25,000 miles but Amsoil is highly regarded. Which will protect my engine the best based on my driving habits? I’d love to hear your thoughts. And I’m not trying to start anything I just want to know because the annual cost is so close.

Here’s how the cost of each breaks down.

Amsoil 5W-30 (long OCI) 25,000 miles (I’d change it at 20,000)
7 quarts of oil: $62.30 (extra quart for burn off)
Oil Filter: 23.20 (long OCI) 25,000
Total $85.50 + shipping (I’m guessing $20-25?)

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 – 9,000 mile OCI (18,000 miles total)
6 quarts of oil: $39
Wix Oil Filter: $6.80
Total: $45.80 each oil change (2x which equals $91.60 for the year)

If you dare to go 20,000 miles on any oil you might need to factor in a UOA or two...If not you shouldn't go that far on oil without one...I know of an engineer at SWRI that said you ahould go no more than 2X the OCI recommended by the owners manual with a synthetic...

Based upon my expereince with Amsoil products and a binder full of UOA I would not go anything over 15,0000 with any Amsoil product unless it is 75% or more highway driving. I have done the 12-15,000 many times and the oil is just too beat up for me to feel comfortable going to 20,000. So much depends on the engine ( some just cannot handle long OCI period, my sons Izusu is one of them) and an even greater emphasis needs to be on the driving habits and climate you live in. However, on the other end it will not make any difference in 200,000 miles or so, the engine will still outlast the rest of the vehicle. So, whatever lets you sleep at night.

i feel that regular changes to get muck out is probably better than running 20k intervals. the by products just stay there along for the ride...

(note that I said FEEL) I have no way of proving this and I don't pretend to know much about oil, but that is my thought on the subject.

And here is the hypocrite (me) running M1 :D

I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving any oil/filter combo past 15,000 miles for the mixed driving I do, no matter how good the combo is. I would also think that 3 OCI's in 15,000 miles with an oil like PP is going to be better than letting a top tier oil be in the sump for the full 15,000 miles. Granted if I lived where highway driving on nice open roads with no traffic was the norm, it would be another story.

I guess I'm still old school, even 10,000 mile OCI scares the H*ll out of me!!!!!!!!!!

JMO
Frank D

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: harrydog

So cost is an issue?

Nope, it's more like not getting what you paid for. If somethings advertised to last a certain amount and doesn't then why spend the money on it rigth?

But you said your concern was using what would protect your engine the best. If using Amsoil and 10K OCI's means less engine wear than either PP at 10K OCI's or Amsoil at 20K OCI's, why not do that? Unless cost is an issue.

Choose whatever gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling inside... you know the feeling..

I've been reading bitog for a couple of years now, and I've come to one conclusion. It doesn't matter what you use. Just stick to a reasonable oci and use whatever you like.

I still can't believe that subaru wants oil changed every 3750 miles up here to stay in warranty. We fall under 'severe' service due to those 3-4 months of winter cold
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back