Pennzoil platinum in car for 2500 miles why clear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had pennzoil platinum in my 97 jetta for almost 2500 miles now, why is it so clear? i've had valvoline before, and it turned brown after 1000 or so, same thing with valvoline, but this pennzoil platinum is CLEAR! perfect yellow on the dipstick. PP is also priced pretty cheap, does it have a weak detergent or something? My car has 86k HARD abusive miles on it, and has had an OCI of Valvoline every 3k miles / 6months and has never had a drop of synthetic until 2500 miles ago when i was inspired by AAPs buy one get one free. I want to run a 4k intrevel with PP,because it's my first time running synthetic, then i want to run synthetic every 5500. If PP stays clean till the end of the 4k intrevel, i'm pondering not buying it again.
BTW
deadhorse.gif
i know

I'll be the first to say that I HATE Pennzoil. Their oil has had a bad rep for years with regards to sludge buildup inside motors.I've seen the engines apart,and my eyes do not lie.In what your describing here,sounds like some things never change.

Quote:

I'll be the first to say that I HATE Pennzoil. Their oil has had a bad rep for years with regards to sludge buildup inside motors.I've seen the engines apart,and my eyes do not lie.In what your describing here,sounds like some things never change.

So if an oil stays clean, that creates sludge???
smirk.gif

Sorry, the Pennzoil causes sludge is not true.

If you do a little searching here, you would find that out.

*IF* a engine had sludge, its going to have sludge with ANY oil if its changed at its recommended OCI.

Sludge is caused by something else than oil. Like running it too long, Coolant issues, Headgasket leaks, PCV issues.

My last engine I had apart @ 61k and 108k miles had NO sludge or varnish. And it ran Pennzoil 95% of the time.
approved.gif

How could that be?
confused.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Why are you so bothered that the oil is clean? I noticed the same thing with Mobil1 5W-20 even when i extended my oil change interval to 10K miles. Paradoxically, when I tried using Syntec 5W-20 it changed color to dark brown in ~ 6K miles.

Quote:

Quote:

So if an oil stays clean, that creates sludge???
smirk.gif

If an oil does not get dirty,it's not doing it's job. Oil is to lubricate and also provide cleaning within the motor.Say what you will,but thats good enough evidence for me.

Don't sweat it, Kief..

0W30GC in my car for nearly 7000 miles, and it's just NOW starting to turn dark. Perhaps your engine isn't so dirty to begin with, or it's easy on the oil to begin with and isn't causing a rapid breakdown. PP is as good as any other in gasoline-powered passenger car engines, especially small ones. Pennzoil does NOT "cause" sludge, they're owned by Shell now, and all their products, dino and GroupIII syn, meet the SM/GF4 standard, amongst many others. It's fine and dandy. I've run the Pennzoil Dino 5W20 for 5K OCI, and the PP syn for up to 7300 in the past and the engine was clean and bright with no sludge or even a hint of varnish and those were much longer OCI than you're taking yours out to. The Pennzoil is fine. Use it with confidence, verify with a UOA at 4000 miles, if that's your OCI. PP on a 4K OCI is a waste, however. That's a 5000-7500 mile oil if ever there was one.

As for Drags..
Quote:

PoppyCrock.
laugh.gif

Wow,

The more I see responses on these forums just makes me wonder why people even stick around here.Just because some people have different opinions and or experience with oils, filters,etc etc, does that mean it's necessary to be-little members does it?

I was only sharing MY experiences here, that doesnt mean it's The Bible to Live By I've been around engines and cars for all my life as a hobby.If you can't listen and or take someone else's experience / advice or be willing to learn in this hobby then I guess you shouldn't be involved in it.

Quote:

Wow,

The more I see responses on these forums just makes me wonder why people even stick around here.Just because some people have different opinions and or experience with oils, filters,etc etc, does that mean it's necessary to be-little members does it?

I was only sharing MY experiences here, that doesnt mean it's The Bible to Live By I've been around engines and cars for all my life as a hobby.If you can't listen and or take someone else's experience / advice or be willing to learn in this hobby then I guess you shouldn't be involved in it.

Drag, I wouldn't take any of these responses personally. It is just a fact that engine oil color has nothing to do with the oils condition. This is a common misconception that many people have (even myself before coming to BITOG).
http://www.oilsandlube.com/oil-color.htm

Quote:

Wow,

My level of automotive seems to be similar to yours and my experience has been 100% the opposite. My dad was using Pennzoil before I was born,(1967) so I grew up using it. I have used it in dozens of vehicles from big block Chevy's to OHC fours and lawn mowers. So far, zero engine failures, zero sludge issues. I tear down and rebuild engines, (over 50) so I have some perspective. Any of the engines I have maintained that got a steady diet of Pennzoil have always been clean beyond any reasonable expectations. My 87' Olds 3.8 V6 which has 197,000 miles and led a HARD life is so clean inside that you can see the texture of the cylinder head casting when you remove the oil cap. Based on my experience with some other 3.8's, I did a timing chain replacement at 125,000 miles. The nylon timing gear was in perfect condition, the oil pan was cleaned out with a paper towel and the bearings looked great. We have a 40 year old garden tractor with an air cooled Wisconsin motor that has the #@$%! beat out of it. When it was overhauled, (Governor drive gear broke) The guy at the mower shop could not believe how great the motor looked inside. I'm not in any position to make claims about any other motor oil one way or another, but I find it hard to believe any regular retail motor oil could give any better performance than what we have gotten from Pennzoil. Just my
twocents.gif

Easy, Drags, it was a chuckle, didn't mean to cause offense. It's the beaten-down horse all over again. Folks who have forgotten far more than most will ever know about the tribology have stated many times, the color of the oil bears NO relation to performance, color or TBN number, an important factor in determining whether the oil is "worn out". The only true "facts" are those produced by UOA and a decent analysis by the likes of our Mr. Dyson here or another of similar scientific/professional quals. All else is speculation and/or slander of the brand.

As for Pennzoil causing sludge, in the era 1965-present, I've never heard such things until I started reading here a few years back. Pop was a Golf-Arnie/Pennzoil nut and I used to change the family cars' oil from the age of 13 or so, and every 3K, did the filter, Pennzoil (probably 10W40 winter, 20W50 summer). Pop's cars were clean as a whistle under the valve covers and as was the case throughout that era, the bodies rusted and the cars were replaced far ahead of any issues with the engines. Between that experience, and the testimony of many that are actually in the bizz, I find the Pennzoil-Sludge stories to be just that. If there was a sludge situation, I'd want to see OCI records, the application-engine in question, driving habits, etc., etc.. There are other factors besides Pennzoil in a deal like that. BTW, I'm NOT a Pennzoil-employed shill, although I do stash the product and have used it in the past and will again in the very near future.

The blanket statement, "Pennzoil always caused sludge" doesn't fit reality. Nor does it fit any other brand at this stage of the game, assuming correct oil/correct application. Meanwhile, didn't mean to offend.. S.A.T.

My
twocents.gif

we have posts asking "mobil 1 turned black in my car in 2500 miles" freak out and want to change to another brand asap. we have the opposite here.
grin.gif

Two givens:
1> ALL detergent motor oils will darken with time in use.

2> The amount of darkening will vary according the engine and the conditions of use.

Additionally, it's impossible to accurately judge the amount of darkening by a tenth of a millimeter coating on a dipstick that, itself, may or may not be neutral in its own coloration and reflectivity and which may be viewed under differing lighting conditions at each inspection. The amount of darkening in a given motor oil after use may not be truly indicative of the amount of dirt and/or deterioration of the oil itself, either, since some additive chemistries will darken quickly when heated, though they'll continue to provide protection and cleaning for many thousands of miles despite an initial color change. The only reliable test of any motor oil's effectiveness at controlling varnish and sludge is to pull a valve cover or drop the oil pan and view the condition of engine internals first hand. A UOA's insolubles' count will also provide a clue about a motor oil formulation's effectiveness.

(Besides - everyone knows that Pennzoil adds varnish and sludge-prone wax to its motor oils...
wink.gif
)

Quote:

hide.gif
Would you think that their full synthetic would actually cause sludge buildup too?

Quote:

I've had pennzoil platinum in my 97 jetta for almost 2500 miles now, why is it so clear? i've had valvoline before, and it turned brown after 1000 or so, same thing with valvoline, but this pennzoil platinum is CLEAR! perfect yellow on the dipstick. PP is also priced pretty cheap, does it have a weak detergent or something? My car has 86k HARD abusive miles on it, and has had an OCI of Valvoline every 3k miles / 6months and has never had a drop of synthetic until 2500 miles ago when i was inspired by AAPs buy one get one free. I want to run a 4k intrevel with PP,because it's my first time running synthetic, then i want to run synthetic every 5500. If PP stays clean till the end of the 4k intrevel, i'm pondering not buying it again.
BTW
deadhorse.gif
i know

Only a UOA will confirm otherwise it's just your speculation.

Quote:

Your own words betray your claimed knowledge and experience. Post falsehoods here, and usually it won't be long before you're called on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back