Pending UPS strike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For $120k a year and their benefits I (and tons of others) are willing and ready to sign up.

I work in management and much of my time is spent in a warehouse that gets well over 100 degrees all summer and I still don't make as much as my UPS driver. I also used to have to drive a truck wirh no AC 12 hours a day years ago and do heavy lifting. It really isn't that bad.

In fact, it's good enough where UPS constantly has guys trying to get hired on for FT. Hence, the strike
There is no strike
(except in the media)

I reread the thread, I don't think anybody is saying they already get paid enough - although IMO they really do get great pay and benefits already. It really is a big fight to get in, I've only heard of one or two people out of a group of ~10 getting hired on after the seasonal work ends. If they want to strike then by all means let them strike, their union should be the ones fighting for them as all UPS delivery drivers are union after a year.
No I'm not saying this thread, I meant public perception. That what many comments on news stories were in both of these instances which makes it hard in the court of public opinion to not look greedy.

Reactions: Pew
No I'm not saying this thread, I meant public perception. That what many comments on news stories were in both of these instances which makes it hard in the court of public opinion to not look greedy.

Ohhhh gotcha sir (y)

Yeah, I mean, these are delivery truck drivers and paid among the highest in the industry. SO they got their deserved AC moving forward and existing part timers will get a raise...

It is NOT the amount their paid, IT IS WHO IS PAYING THEM? Usually the CEO pay is approved by the BOARD OF DIRECTORS, of said company, and they have agendas. The major stock holders SHOULD not install board members.
These are small numbers today, but remember when Grasso was fired from the NYSE, he got 300 mil as his golden parachute. People questioned this figure and he said I’ve got two girls in college so I need this money.

Then the other guy who comes to mind is Bob Nardelli. He gets fired from The Home Depot, 210 mil golden parachute, and becomes CEO of Chrysler. I’m sure there are men who ran 3 companies into the ground consecutively, but none come to mind.

Already checked with our Fedex Ground guy and his response about what will happen if they strike.... "We'll be crushed". He said he's already refusing extra package pick-ups from customers. I presume he means a place that consistently ships, say 20 pieces per day now magically wants to ship 40-50 pieces per day. He knows they're shifting away from UPS, just in case.

Already checked with our Fedex Ground guy and his response about what will happen if they strike.... "We'll be crushed". He said he's already refusing extra package pick-ups from customers. I presume he means a place that consistently ships, say 20 pieces per day now magically wants to ship 40-50 pieces per day. He knows they're shifting away from UPS, just in case.
There would have been a time in the past where it was a business opportunity . Today seems people don’t want extra work. They want less work in reality.

For $120k a year and their benefits I (and tons of others) are willing and ready to sign up.

I work in management and much of my time is spent in a warehouse that gets well over 100 degrees all summer and I still don't make as much as my UPS driver. I also used to have to drive a truck wirh no AC 12 hours a day years ago and do heavy lifting. It really isn't that bad.

In fact, it's good enough where UPS constantly has guys trying to get hired on for FT. Hence, the strike

They earn every penny of that $120K the hard way, not an easy job.
They also end up with back, knees and shoulder problems after 25 years as a delivery driver.

For my small business I use FedEx, UPS and USPS.
I’m in favor for a month long strike. ✊

Last edited:
They earn every penny of that $120K.

They also end up with back, knee and shoulder problems after 25 years as a delivery driver.
I always said to myself moving and storage would not be a job for me, at any rate. No offense to anyone in that business but I do envision physical injury eventually…..

While I live on a farm, my community is small-town and it's an "everybody knows everybody" type of living. I know my regular UPS driver well and we both have each other's numbers in our phone contact list. Since I live about 15 minutes from town, I'll gladly save him 30 minutes of delivery time if he can deliver to the area I'm working. ANYWAY, I get a call from him about a package that I'm receiving today and we talk a few minutes as he's getting his packages loaded and sorted on his truck. I jokingly ask him if he's got his picket sign all ready to use and if he's been working out so he's in shape to walk the picket line 12 hours a day. :LOL: (If nothing changes, UPS will go on strike on July 31st) He just laughs and says he just wishes he can keep working. He actually doesn't want AC in his truck as it would just shock his body as he gets in and out. (I could have mentioned that he could just keep the AC off at all times, but....)
Anyway, my post is a reminder get all items needed to be shipped before the end of the month. It will probably all be sorted out by then, but who knows? I do know that I need some custom pistons made by a company in California, but that's going to have to wait until this is all sorted out.....
As a 50 year member in a union think its sad that your driver is only thinking of ac. Not pay, health insurance, vacations, sick leave, new hires just him or her. There's 340k union workers. Being a rural driver isn't the same as a big city driver delivering to high rise offices with hundreds of packages. As for as ac in trucks their not going to retrofit old trucks only new will have it. Love or hate unions have a better way negotiate for 340k drivers?

As a 50 year member in a union think its sad that your driver is only thinking of ac. Not pay, health insurance, vacations, sick leave, new hires just him or her. There's 340k union workers. Being a rural driver isn't the same as a big city driver delivering to high rise offices with hundreds of packages. As for as ac in trucks their not going to retrofit old trucks only new will have it. Love or hate unions have a better way negotiate for 340k drivers?
As a 50 year union member, you know that individual members of the union tend to talk only about their particular issues.

Not every union member fairly, accurately, or comprehensively represents the union’s negotiating position.

There is more to a strike authorization, and the failure of the parties to reach negotiated agreement, than the press, or particularly BITOG, has discussed.

I’ve only been in a union for 26 years, and these things are never simple.

Last edited:
Delivering packages?
It's a choice they make, every job has an occupational hazard.
I'm afraid to say what our new per hour contract is, but I will say just because I've never worked for UPS I don't know the full scope of everything they do for work. Railroading I understand. I've done it for 7 years for 2 railroads and I know many think we just sit on trains. Sometimes you get lucky and do that. Some of the time as a conductor it can be very physical work. I used to walk 4 miles a day with my job every single day, on my feet for 12 hours and constantly moving. I do not know about UPS or any shipping company, but you can walk in off the street to a railroad job and have a 6 figure income depending on the railroad, but only about 30% of new hires stay. The schedule is stupid because there is no schedule. I could go to work every 12 hours or wait around 3 days for a call. When the phone rings I have 2 hours to get to work, or 4 hours if I get sent to an outlying point that has me driving up to 150 miles one way to get there.

I will say for anyone looking to get to 6 figure income without further education it's a great option, but just be ready to miss every major event every year of your life until retirement unless it happens to land on your scheduled 48 hours off every 6 days, so your days off shift by one day every week. On top of that you may not be back home by the time your days off hit. All I can say is it can make more than UPS, but at minimum you're guaranteed $100,000 per year regardless of what you work for my railroad. Just a little insight to the industry because I doubt anyone that doesn't work for the railroad or know a railroader is aware of it. I didn't know before I started. That's the only reason why I mention I don't feel comfortable passing judgement on UPS because don't really know the ends and outs of the job.

Last edited:
They earn every penny of that $120K the hard way, not an easy job.
They also end up with back, knees and shoulder problems after 25 years as a delivery driver.

For my small business I use FedEx, UPS and USPS.
I’m in favor for a month long strike. ✊
They earn way more than most people with physical jobs. I hate unions, though. Truly detest them if I'm honest. I have had too much experience working with union guys and all the BS amd red tape to go through just to get a job done.

In my area UPS drivers earn more than many doctors. It is ridiculous. There are tons of jobs that require manual labor and hard work. I really do like using UPS but their pay scale is just bonkers.

On top of that, we have tons of guys , year after year, sign on as seasonal or temp at our UPS facility who get strung along being told they have a chance to join the union. Yeah... right....

They earn way more than most people with physical jobs. I hate unions, though. Truly detest them if I'm honest. I have had too much experience working with union guys and all the BS amd red tape to go through just to get a job done.

In my area UPS drivers earn more than many doctors. It is ridiculous. There are tons of jobs that require manual labor and hard work. I really do like using UPS but their pay scale is just bonkers.

On top of that, we have tons of guys , year after year, sign on as seasonal or temp at our UPS facility who get strung along being told they have a chance to join the union. Yeah... right....
Their pay would be absolute garbage if they didn't have unions. Hate unions all you want, but there's a reason for the red tape. You have to keep companies honest, because once a company is big enough the personal angle is gone. People don't get seen as people on a numbers spreadsheet. My pay now is 40% higher than working for the non union railroad I worked for before. You're picking the wrong bad guys. I just don't see how anyone can hate on the worker trying for a better situation.

Also I don't know what you think a doctor makes, but they don't make less than a UPS driver.

I'm afraid to say what our new per hour contract is, but I will say just because I've never worked for UPS I don't know the full scope of everything they do for work. Railroading I understand. I've done it for 7 years for 2 railroads and I know many think we just sit on trains. Sometimes you get lucky and do that. Some of the time as a conductor it can be very physical work. I used to walk 4 miles a day with my job every single day, on my feet for 12 hours and constantly moving. I do not know about UPS or any shipping company, but you can walk in off the street to a railroad job and have a 6 figure income depending on the railroad, but only about 30% of new hires stay. The schedule is stupid because their is no schedule. I could go to work every 12 hours or wait around 3 days for a call. When the phone rings I have 2 hours to get to work, or 4 hours if I get sent to an outlying point that has me driving up to 150 miles one way to get there.

I will say for anyone looking to get to 6 figure income without further education it's a great option, but just be ready to miss every major event every year of your life until retirement unless it happens to land on your scheduled 48 hours off every 6 days, so your days off shift by one day every week. On top of that you may not be back home by the time your days off hit. All I can say is it can make more than UPS, but at minimum you're guaranteed $100,000 per year regardless of what you work for my railroad. Just a little insight to the industry because I doubt anyone that doesn't work for the railroad or know a railroader is aware of it. I didn't know before I started. That's the only reason why I mention I don't feel comfortable passing judgement on UPS because don't really know the ends and outs of the job.
Well said, if you think about it the job is like many others except like you say they can make a six figure income with no college.
As far as days off you say they are guaranteed 2 days off for every six days, and all kinds of overtime plus incredible benefits.

Yet many health care workers work far more hours, had to go to school, work nights, buried in student loans, work weekends and holidays many times 24 hours straight. No such thing as overtime and on call all the time, no holidays.

UPS or the RR people you speak of make more than newer dentists, always more than nurses, my niece now a doctor and in her internship at a very desirable well known NY medical center has those hours BTW. 24 hours on and 12 off … Tons of loans, shares an apartment with 3 others. Her part of the rent is $1500 and as someone can see it’s a long curve before her life will have the income she works for and never be as easy as delivering packages but one day her hard work will get rewarded and rightfully so.

8 years of schooling with no income and now a Dr internship working those hours and just enough money for another 3 or 4 years to make rent and student loans until she gets here doctorate/ fellowship which takes 3 to 8 years at residence salary
This is a general overview don’t quote me exactly by specific terms

I’m only typing this to repeat, we all have choices. But others in here have to stop complaining for UPS workers LOL my god!!
This country is like media driven drone people.

The vast majority of UPS love their job they make a living delivering packages and possibly double or more the salary of a hospital technician such as imaging MRI, all specialized technology technicians in offices like cardiology ect ect

My nieces loves being a doctor too, we all have choices in life … this isn’t N Korea

Last edited:
Electrical switch (light switch type toggle switch) quit working. Electrician called. Electrician arrived. Electrician stands there doing nothing. Union plant. GM where my former brother-in-law worked who is also standing around waiting on switch to be fixed. Unsure how many dozens of guys are standing around, being paid mind you, waiting for union electrician to fix switch. Why? Unions. BS unions who got it put in place that removing the screws sunk into the wall holding the faceplate is carpentry work since it involves walls and screws. So they all got an hour break until the union carpenter arrived to remove the faceplate and free the faulty switch so the union electrician could fix it. And the union carpenter got paid for an hour or so to stand and do nothing until the union electrician finished and pushed the switch back into the wall opening so the union carpenter could do the carpentry work of screws into woodwork to hold it in place and replace the faceplate. Unions are formerly somewhat good things that evolved into total bogus BS. That was in an OKC GM plant in the 90's.

All workers want (need) better wages, retirement, vacation, health insurance, benefits, etc…

I worked a non union job and got the identical benefits of the union members, the company decided to give us the exact same pension just to avoid having to deal with a union.

35 years at my employer and I get a pension over $6K monthly (not bragging, fact). I’ve spoken to many non union employees and they all openly admit the pension kept them working at the company, not to mention it wasn’t a difficult job with low stress.

My dad was a union member at an airline for 33 years so I can see both sides.

If union at any company can negotiate a very good contract / deal, that great. Company should spread the wealth and keep the employees happy.

Off Topic:
Long time ago I worked in a supermarket with 100% non union employees, the store manager would say unions are……. “Similar to outlaw motorcycle gangs, very militant and difficult to deal with.”
🤣 🏍️

Last edited:
Well said, if you think about it the job is like many others except like you say they can make a six figure income with no college.
As far as days off you say they are guaranteed 2 days off for every six days, and all kinds of overtime plus incredible benefits.

Yet many health care workers work far more hours, had to go to school, work nights, buried in student loans, work weekends and holidays many times 24 hours straight. No such thing as overtime and on call all the time, no holidays.
UPS or the RR people you speak of make more than newer dentists, always more than nurses, my niece now a doctor and in her internship at a very desirable NY medical center has those hours BTW. 24 hours on and 12 off … Tons of loans, shares an apartment with 3 others. Her part of the rent is $1500 and as someone can see it’s a long curve before her life will never het as easy as delivering packages but one day her hard work will get rewarded and rightfully so.

8 years of schooling with no income and now a Dr internship working those hours and just enough money for another 3 or 4 years to make rent and student loans until she gets here doctorate ( forgot the right word I think )

I’m only typing this to repeat, we all have choices. But others in her have to stop complaining for UPS workers LOL my god!! The vast majority love their job
For sure. My only point with railroading is if it moves it’s big enough to be fatal. I think railroading is fairly simple, but I’ve had a very unique experience getting into the intricacies of switching cars. I really worry about new team members though. They’re in a huge rush to get them certified and I’m worried they don’t quite understand the mechanics of the job. Fatalities used to be very high in the railroad but the Federal Railroad Administration has added a lot of regulation. Some of its annoying but I understand why it is there.

My only experience is a cousin that works for UPS. He’s in Phoenix and the only complaint I’ve heard is in the heat of the summer. He always told me of the fun of seeing what was available at the Rolex and sunglass dealers. I’m a huge watch and sunglasses nerd which we both share as a hobby. Overall he seems to enjoy the job.

As far as the 6 on 2 off of the railroad that just depends on when you go out based upon call. If you work into your days off when you tie up(railroad speak for finish work) the 48 hour clock starts. At the end of that you go onto the boards. It’s just dependent on who is available and when the trains arrive. I can see what is projected 24 hours out but it shifts based upon arrival times. That’s probably the worst part of the job. The boards change at midnight based in schedules and no matter how good you get at reading the forecast it’s easy to be off. The only guarantee is when you finish work they can’t call you for 10 hours.

I really appreciate the process though. I learned from guys that retired in 2020 that spent 40 years in the industry. Many of those practices I’ve learned have been phased out due to regulation. I’m thankful for the experience, but I’d lose my job to use many things I learned due to current rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back