Pending UPS strike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
All workers want (need) better wages, retirement, vacation, health insurance, benefits, etc…

I worked a non union job and got the identical benefits of the union members, the company decided to give us the exact same pension just to avoid having to deal with a union.

35 years at my employer and I get a pension over $6K monthly (not bragging, fact). I’ve spoken to many non union employees and they all openly admit the pension kept them working at the company, not to mention it wasn’t a difficult job with low stress.

My dad was a union member at an airline for 33 years so I can see both sides.

If union at any company can negotiate a very good contract / deal, that great. Company should spread the wealth and keep the employees happy.

Off Topic:
Long time ago I worked in a supermarket with 100% non union employees, the store manager would say unions are……. “Similar to outlaw motorcycle gangs, very militant and difficult to deal with.”
🤣 🏍️
Son in law is a bricklayer/mason. Worked non union till he got married to my daughter. Told him to work for one company to get benefits etc. Company was Union based. First day on job(block) he got reprimanded because he ran out of mud(mortar) so he got his own. He was told not to do that anymore. its not his job. 2nd day he layed his usual 90 block(8 inch block)outpacing the other block layers, he got reprimanded and told if he did it again he would get fired, he was not allowed to lay more than 30 some block a day(forget exact amount) He kept at it for about 20 yrs to get his pension/benefits and retired and started his own non union company. He was a husky guy but got "fat" working for the union, but the pay was very good. Now he is lean again and happy.

My dad was a mason sub contractor and I remember growing up the joke was that if there was a cloud in the sky the Union workers could not lay brick/block because it might rain. I worked many days in the rain and my son in law experienced the same. I guess due to OSHA requirements, who knows?

Yes I agree unions are good( I was in a Union for 26 yrs before I became management and I can see and understand both sides. But some things just don't make sense.

For sure. My only point with railroading is if it moves it’s big enough to be fatal. I think railroading is fairly simple, but I’ve had a very unique experience getting into the intricacies of switching cars. I really worry about new team members though. They’re in a huge rush to get them certified and I’m worried they don’t quite understand the mechanics of the job. Fatalities used to be very high in the railroad but the Federal Railroad Administration has added a lot of regulation. Some of its annoying but I understand why it is there.

My only experience is a cousin that works for UPS. He’s in Phoenix and the only complaint I’ve heard is in the heat of the summer. He always told me of the fun of seeing what was available at the Rolex and sunglass dealers. I’m a huge watch and sunglasses nerd which we both share as a hobby. Overall he seems to enjoy the job.

As far as the 6 on 2 off of the railroad that just depends on when you go out based upon call. If you work into your days off when you tie up(railroad speak for finish work) the 48 hour clock starts. At the end of that you go onto the boards. It’s just dependent on who is available and when the trains arrive. I can see what is projected 24 hours out but it shifts based upon arrival times. That’s probably the worst part of the job. The boards change at midnight based in schedules and no matter how good you get at reading the forecast it’s easy to be off. The only guarantee is when you finish work they can’t call you for 10 hours.

I really appreciate the process though. I learned from guys that retired in 2020 that spent 40 years in the industry. Many of those practices I’ve learned have been phased out due to regulation. I’m thankful for the experience, but I’d lose my job to use many things I learned due to current rules.
Oh I can certainly understand Phoenix heat …
I was into watches is a long time (mostly value stuff) and I kind of miss them but I wear an Apple Watch now🥵
I have a collection of three Maui Jim and one Costa. All of them using the ultra thin glass no plastic lens.
I’m on the fence what I’d like the most and sometimes can’t make up my mind which player to wear LOL

I do have a number of Oakley and a Ray-Ban or two but they just sit in the drawer now because I definitely consider the ultra thin glass of the Maui Jim and Costa a significant step up including the frames.

I do have one old pair of Pursall (?) I have no idea how to spell it, but they’re probably a decade old, maybe more and I never much wore them because they just felt more like designer glass, then real sunglasses if that makes any sense …

I’m so upset that Maui Jim has now lost its independence like every single other major quality brand of sunglasses and is now owned by an overseas corporation.
I wonder how many people know even Sunglass hut controls the marketing in this country and they’re owned by crap I’m having to see me in the moment …oh Luxotica which owns just about every major sunglass in this country, except for Maui, Jim, which was just bought by another overseas firm, frustrating!!

Last edited:
I had/have 2 prs of Persol's and bought a pr of Maui Jims about a yr ago to try something different and did not like them. So now I have 3 prs of Persols. MJ just didn't feel right if you know what I mean.

If my upcoming cataract surgery eliminates anything but reading glasses I'll get a pair of Ray-Ban like I had in the 70's-90's in my contact lens phase. Hopefully they'll be as good now as they were then.

Oh I can certainly understand Phoenix heat …
I was into watches is a long time (mostly value stuff) and I kind of miss them but I wear an Apple Watch now🥵
I have a collection of three Maui Jim and one Costa. All of them using the ultra thin glass no plastic lens.
I’m on the fence what I’d like the most and sometimes can’t make up my mind which player to wear LOL

I do have a number of Oakley and a Ray-Ban or two but they just sit in the drawer now because I definitely consider the ultra thin glass of the Maui Jim and Costa a significant step up including the frames.

I do have one old pair of Pursall (?) I have no idea how to spell it, but they’re probably a decade old, maybe more and I never much wore them because they just felt more like designer glass, then real sunglasses if that makes any sense …

I’m so upset that Maui Jim has now lost its independence like every single other major quality brand of sunglasses and is now owned by an overseas corporation.
I wonder how many people know even Sunglass hut controls the marketing in this country and they’re owned by crap I’m having to see me in the moment …oh Luxotica which owns just about every major sunglass in this country, except for Maui, Jim, which was just bought by another overseas firm, frustrating!!
We might be one in the same. I hope Maui Jim does not fall apart with this acquisition. I love their lenses. I'm a big fan of their frameless lenses and wore Lighthouses the last few days. Persol is awesome. That's definitely my next brand to explare. My absolute favorite is Randolph Engineering Aviators and I honestly dispute anyone that doesn't agree that anyone disagrees that Randolph Engineering is the high quality sunglasses on the market. They obviously love the art of the sunglass.

I do need to explore Costa. The owner of Toxic/Ute NATO straps is a friend of mine and a huge Costa fan and swears by them. I need to try a pair.

If my upcoming cataract surgery eliminates anything but reading glasses I'll get a pair of Ray-Ban like I had in the 70's-90's in my contact lens phase. Hopefully they'll be as good now as they were then.
Love it! My wife had Lasik a few years back and I went crazy buying sunglasses for her. I did all I could to share my love for sunglasses with her now that she could buy off the shelf sunglasses and we had a blast shopping. I think I might have been even more excited than she was. She's a fan of Dolce & Gabana, Ray Ban, and Prada sunglasses.

Ray Ban is part of the Luxottica Group. They pretty much make most of the branded eye wear.

Ray Ban.
Oakley.
Essilor.
Persol.

They also own Pearle Vision, Sunglass Hut and LensCrafters

Given how far off topic, political and times we've had to moderate this, its stopped here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back