Passat 1.8T - under the valve cover (before/after)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the elephant in the room is the PCV. The M1 0w-40 probably saved your bacon while the PCV was bad.

I have a 1.8T but a different configuration (Jetta) which isn't known for PCV problems. It is sparkling clean, with Rotella (sometimes synth 5w-40 and sometimes non-synth 15w-40).

The problem with the longitudinally placed 1.8T engines is two prong. The orientation of the engine resulted in smaller oil pan capacity and the early Passats had 3.75L oil capacity. The solution was change of spec for the oil filter that mandated larger filters which increased the total oil capacity to 3.9L. I use Mobil 1 M1-301 filter in my son's B5.

Second change was the VW mandate to switch from dino to synthetic oil on the longitudinal 1.8T. This was done around 2000 when the first sludge problems reared it's ugly head.

Since your car is 2002 it came with synthetic oil from the factory, and IF it was serviced at the dealer then it most likely never had any dino in it. You may obtain the service records for the earlier times from the dealer. If the car was serviced on schedule it's in their records and if they did their job then it had synthetic oil every 5000 miles OCI specified by VW.

For good info on anything about Passat check Passatworld.

In sweden most wag products fails if run on long ocis...
well they last the first owner, maybe the second one also.
But those who really survives are those who just like we always do in sweden change atleast annually.
Note that you can substitute wag with volvo, saab, or what ever.

Unfortunately VW dealers , at least up to a few years ago were clueless about synthetic . I asked a service writer at a local VW dealer for their price for an oil change - when he quoted a price I asked what brand of synthetic they used he stopped and said Oh , you want synthetic and quoted a higher price . This was years after the VW letter .

Originally Posted By: bruno
Unfortunately VW dealers , at least up to a few years ago were clueless about synthetic . I asked a service writer at a local VW dealer for their price for an oil change - when he quoted a price I asked what brand of synthetic they used he stopped and said Oh , you want synthetic and quoted a higher price . This was years after the VW letter .

Idiots...
33.gif

Yup. I remember the local VW dealer kept feeding my wife's Jetta mineral oil as recently as 2007. Thankfully, it had the old 2.0 NA engine, so mineral wasn't such a big deal.

Our 1.8t ('04 A4) looked similar at 40 k miles w/ 5k m1 0w40 oci's. complete PCV overhaul at about 35k after it popped the dipstick out, and again at around 60k. Hoses would disintegrate when touched. Check valves didn't seal, jet pumps didnt, etc. the PCV system is so complex, it is ludicrous. It ran great though.

Guys, stick with GC 0W30 in this engine. It has good fluidity, it is full synthetic, high flash point (234c).
These engines do not have problem in Europe bcs in Europe dealers alays used synthetic oils. I am from Europe, living now in Alabama. I just find amazing what dealers do here.
I had 1.8T in Passat B5. Engine was in top condition bcs I always used GC. Never had any issues, and changed oil every 7-8000 miles.
Now, I use GC in CC 2.0T. It is not energy conserving oil, but gives ultimate protection.

I don't see any sign of real sludge in the first picture, just a bit of varnish which is normal for an engine of this age.
What did the sump and very important oil pump pick up screen look like? If they were similar, then there is no need to be concerned.
You must use a major brand fully synthetic oil and an 0/40 or 5/40 would be best, change it at 5K miles and do a single UOA (With TBN) to check how the oil is performing etc. I expect if all is well with the engine and you don't spend too much time in traffic, the OCI can then be extended to 7500 miles or more. If you drive mostly on the highways then 10K miles might be good, but as always DYOR.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back