Under the Valve covers @395,000 miles Nissan Xterra VQ40

Stunning and iconic 👌😏

Most cleanest VQ

I've noticed with pictures of clean engines, the oil itself looks fairly dirty/discolored, but the metal is clean
But with a heavily varnished/sludged engine, it's the opposite 🤷‍♂️
I've noticed that too after using some of the newer formulations of Mobil1 (regular one - adv full syn) that they really do clean up the engine. The last oil change on the civic was nasty, it was so dark you couldn't even shine a flashlight through it! But the engine had no varnish anymore, just your normal grey-ish aluminum colors! All that cleaned up stuff was suspended in the oil! I really think these newer formulations are cleaning engine up much more than I've ever seen before.

I finally got around to fixing the very leaky valve cover gaskets on my 395,000 mile Nissan Xterra. I bought this vehicle new in 2008 and I have always ran this on conventional or semi synthetic following approximately the factory recommended 3,750 OCI. Latest few runs have been on Chevron Supreme 5W30 semi syn.

Generally I am pretty happy with this.

I am confused however as the right side has a little bit of varnish, and the left side has really none? The PVC is on the right side, that's the only difference I can think of - unless it gets hotter over there or something?

Thoughts?

Left:

View attachment 189549

Right:

View attachment 189550
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I do think you can find a basic synthetic for pennies more to give you better results but it does look very good 👍

I finally got around to fixing the very leaky valve cover gaskets on my 395,000 mile Nissan Xterra. I bought this vehicle new in 2008 and I have always ran this on conventional or semi synthetic following approximately the factory recommended 3,750 OCI. Latest few runs have been on Chevron Supreme 5W30 semi syn.

Generally I am pretty happy with this.

I am confused however as the right side has a little bit of varnish, and the left side has really none? The PVC is on the right side, that's the only difference I can think of - unless it gets hotter over there or something?

Thoughts?

Left:

View attachment 189549

Right:

View attachment 189550
No boutique oil needed.....

Looks great! My family members have owned at least a dozen Nissans over the last 30 years and all have been extremely reliable, especially their engines. Yours looks like a good candidate for a half million mile goal. They don’t seem to get much Love on Bitog for whatever reason.
Did they own those Nissans before Nissan joined up with Renault? If so, that may explain their extreme reliability.

Back