PARTS MAN'S LAMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one that annoys the [censored] out of me, is the guy who'se to lazy to off his duff to come to our parts counter and ask for what he needs, rather he sends his wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/bestfriend/ 15 year old down to my parts counter with 1/10th of the info I need to get him the part he needs. And if said person who was sent gets lippy, said person is guaranteed to get the wrong part, causing the lazy SOB who should have come down in the first place to come down, return the wrong part, and give me the info I need to get him the right part. Logic, he wasted my time, I'll make [censored] certain waste his time, anyday of the week. Always help your partsguy help you and you'll rarely make a second trip to parts counter.

Hmmm, Sometimes I'll send Wife, Buddy, 15 year old because I'm up to my elbows in grime, and have to get the Darn thing up and running by tomorrow morning.
It frosts me when my helper comes back empty handed because the Parts guy NEEDED to know if the truck was 2wd or 4wd to get the right oil filter, when if he only looked at the part #'s for each, he would see they were the same!

Quote;"he wasted my time, I'll make [censored] certain waste his time, any day of the week"

If you worked for me and tried that, you'd be soon out of a job!
You got something else to do other than SERVE customers? Go HOME and do it!
Some parts guy's could best be replaced by a vending machine.

Indeed in most cases that guy working on his car would rather come in himself but is up to his elbows in gunk....if the helper comes in and is reasonable I can't believe you wouldn't do your best to help them get the right part..I can understand if the person is testy though....but still that person is probably frustrated because they have limited knowledge about what is needed as well.

Geeze try to be a little understanding parts guy!

Agreed and you know what, parts stores have PHONES which the helper should be allowed to use to call and ask if the parts guy really needs to know a specific question.

We techs had a "love/hate" relationship with our parts guys. Being a "back counter" parts man is a bit different than dealing with the general public, as you deal with the same techs over and over ad infinitum, and familiarity breeds contempt.

It was a bit like the Looney Toons with the sheepdog and the coyote. The sheepdog and coyote would walk into work together, chatting and drinking coffee, but once they clocked in it was war.

I was at my local dodge dealer and they couldn't do anything for you without the VIN. My simple question was "Are the springs and bumpstops for a 95-99 ACR Neon still available, SDK suspension package?"
I guess they don't want my business very badly. I could make up a VIN but there is a check number in it so I'm sure their computer would reject it...

I forgot the best counterperson. We got a new parts manager, a truly sharp guy, no sarcasm intended. Really good guy. He hired a very well endowed girl to 'man" the front counter. Not the best parts person, but had the fewest customer complaints of anyone that was ever on front counter duty. "Four Two Delta Delta, you have a call waiting on line 8XX", always brought a chuckle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
You are the parts guy. You are supposed to know. sheesh!! A good parts guy is hard to find.

Good parts guys and mechanics (technicians) are hard to find. Most of them are just parts "lookers" and parts "changers."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Maritime Storm
The one that annoys the [censored] out of me, is the guy who'se to lazy to off his duff to come to our parts counter and ask for what he needs, rather he sends his wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/bestfriend/ 15 year old down to my parts counter with 1/10th of the info I need to get him the part he needs. And if said person who was sent gets lippy, said person is guaranteed to get the wrong part, causing the lazy SOB who should have come down in the first place to come down, return the wrong part, and give me the info I need to get him the right part. Logic, he wasted my time, I'll make [censored] certain waste his time, anyday of the week. Always help your partsguy help you and you'll rarely make a second trip to parts counter.

Yeah, that's when I vote with my wallet and order it online and it gets delivered to my door at 1/2 the price and no lazy moron parts-looker acting superior or like an asz. The reason AZ, AA, O'Rielly's and all the others do so well is because at least their parts-lookers are polite and don't hand out a bunch of manure to the wives or 15 yr old kids.

I've very seldom been to a "stealer" part dept and was treated even half-way decent. Always condescending, surly, slow, talking on the phone with GF while you wait, apathetic, etc.

My money walks when I get treated that way. Only polite, knowledgeable, and interested get my money for way over-priced parts.

Originally Posted By: punisher
We techs had a "love/hate" relationship with our parts guys. Being a "back counter" parts man is a bit different than dealing with the general public, as you deal with the same techs over and over ad infinitum, and familiarity breeds contempt.

It was a bit like the Looney Toons with the sheepdog and the coyote. The sheepdog and coyote would walk into work together, chatting and drinking coffee, but once they clocked in it was war.

When I worked at the Ford dealer I had to deal with the mechanics in the shop and the walk in customers plus answer the phones. During lunch or extra busy times, and also to cover vacations and sick days, I also floated as a service wirter. I was a jack of all trades. I did some minor wrenching when the shop was down 3 mechanics due to flu and I even did detailing a few times. Only thing I never did was sell a car there.
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

When I worked at the Ford dealer I had to deal with the mechanics in the shop and the walk in customers plus answer the phones. I was a jack of all trades.
coffee2.gif

I wouldn't want to be a parts guy!!

I actually enjoyed it most days. I like cars and working on them so it was not just a job. I actually enjoyed it most times and I was very good at it if I do say so myself( I have a knack for remembering parts, part #'s, and multiple vehicle info ). I will say though that the 2 years at the Ford dealer were rough. 7-6 M-F and then 8-2 Sat. I got REAL sick of that place at times let me tell you.

Last edited:
I forgot the best counterperson. We got a new parts manager, a truly sharp guy, no sarcasm intended. Really good guy. He hired a very well endowed girl to 'man" the front counter. Not the best parts person, but had the fewest customer complaints of anyone that was ever on front counter duty. "Four Two Delta Delta, you have a call waiting on line 8XX", always brought a chuckle.

LMAO...that's just too funny!

its that little thing thats connected to the other thing and sometime it leaks oil but it does have a wire near it, that looks unplugged.
The car is yellow too.
I bought one here last month I know I did.

Last edited:
I remember reading that Chuck Yeager would sometimes help out at the parts counter at his local auto parts store.

I would cut him some slack!

I found it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZKvuSYIykY

Originally Posted By: expat
Hmmm, Sometimes I'll send Wife, Buddy, 15 year old because I'm up to my elbows in grime, and have to get the Darn thing up and running by tomorrow morning.
It frosts me when my helper comes back empty handed because the Parts guy NEEDED to know if the truck was 2wd or 4wd to get the right oil filter, when if he only looked at the part #'s for each, he would see they were the same!

Quote;"he wasted my time, I'll make [censored] certain waste his time, any day of the week"

If your "helper" comes in and actually knows what you are looking for and what you working on I bend over backwards for them. Unfortunately 90% of the time the person they send hasn't got a clue what make of vehicle your working on, let alone what the part is called, or what you're trying to Mickey Mouse. If they at least have an idea what you are doing I can help them. If I or my front parts guys have spend 20 minutes to find what model your working while 10 people are lined behind them, we move on to next person so they be helped. When my techs stand around for 20 minutes not getting their parts, to do the job they're working, so they can make their living because I'm helping one of these people, they are not getting paid, so yes it is a waste of my time, my techs time and junior parts person's time because you couldn't be bothered giving them the information they need to get the right parts for the job you're working on. In that case you're wasting your helpers time as well as your own. Help me help you, because otherwise in the end all you're doing creating frustation for yourself.

Quote: And if said person who was sent gets lippy, said person is guaranteed to get the wrong part, causing the lazy SOB who should have come down in the first place to come down, return the wrong part, and give me the info I need to get him the right part. Logic, he wasted my time, I'll make [censored] certain waste his time, anyday of the week.

Q) Who's time does this waste?

A) Every body's

88-98 chevy and gmc use different filters 2wd to 4wd...

Originally Posted By: expat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back