Part six of the SHO oil filter article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice article. Also indirectly explains some possible real reasons for the reduction in viscosity requirements in the newer engines since he shows how tolerances have been going down. I wonder what pressure the by-pass valves on other engines? Another reason to have less pressure and more flow.

After reading this article, it made me think again about my oil filter situation. I was considering going to the K&N oil filter on my Formula, however after reading how a small block Chevy has 60microns worth of clearance anyways, there isn't really a need for a super fine filter in my case, the 25 micron AC Delco filters will probably do just as well, for a lot less money too ($3 up here for those, vs $14.99 on sale for the K&N-$17.99 when not on sale!)

Higher oil pressure out of the oil pump means you RAISE the oil's temps even before it goes to lubricate bearings, etc. Im, with you, I was always a fan for high volume, low pressure feed systems.

I have always believed that higher flows result in more heat carried is carried away by the oil at a faster rate, hence better "internals" cooling.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

I have always believed that higher flows result in more heat carried is carried away by the oil at a faster rate, hence better "internals" cooling.

Problem with that is, if oil is able to flow at higher volumes with less resistance, then when pressure(pistone pushing down on crank) was applied to the bearings, the oil would have less resistance to maintain "back pressure" thus the oil would "shear out" the hydrodynamic properties faster causing more reliance on the barrier additives and less protection from hydrodynamic properties of the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back