oversize filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you guys finding the correct oversize filters? is there a cross reference site? I'd like to run on on my escape fl820s/pureone pl4006

I use an oversize filter whenever I possibly can. There are few things to bear in mind when doing this; like warrantee violations, and bypass valve pressures. You must approach using over-sized filters with a degree of caution. Some vehicles have built in bypass valves and use filters without bypasses. That being said I will tell you what I do when sizing a larger filter. First I measure the sealing flange on the oil filter to determine the mounting area. That way I know how large a filter gasket will fit. The Fram website will allow you to cross reference the thread size and gasket size. After that you cross reference what filters, and manufacturers that you speculate will work. When you do mount the larger filter you need to watch with the engine running to verify that no leaks or pressure problems exist.

Good Luck ~ Radman

Here is a starter list; Fram PH3593A, SuperTech ST2808, Pure One PL24458 & PL24459, Mobil 1 M1-105.

Just a few suggestions as you will have to eyeball them. Check Wix 51372 & Wix 51087 also.

Good Luck ~ Radman

Oversized filters...a cure in search of a problem.

If you do choose to install one, as said above, you must find a listing so you can match the thread, the gasket diameter, and the bypass pressure. And make sure that there is room for it. And be aware that you've tossed away any chance of warranty compensation from the filter maker in case of a defective filter damaging the engine. The filter makers only guarantee their filters if you use the filter listed for your engine.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
...And be aware that you've tossed away any chance of warranty compensation from the filter maker in case of a defective filter damaging the engine. The filter makers only guarantee their filters if you use the filter listed for your engine.

Good point, but could you argue that the filter that blew up, would have blown up anyway, on the "right" engine, if the flow rate, and burst pressure rating were the same? I mean if the filter was defective it was defective no matter where it was used.
Now if the parameters didn't match, and it was a bad choice for an oversized replacement, then no.

I know, it would end up in court to try to argue that, but just a thought.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Good point, but could you argue that the filter that blew up, would have blown up anyway, on the "right" engine, if the flow rate, and burst pressure rating were the same? I mean if the filter was defective it was defective no matter where it was used.
Now if the parameters didn't match, and it was a bad choice for an oversized replacement, then no.

I know, it would end up in court to try to argue that, but just a thought.

No, a lawyer would only laugh at not following manufacturer’s specifications. ;P

Quote:
Good point, but could you argue that the filter that blew up, would have blown up anyway, on the "right" engine,

But it wasn't on the right engine and that's the point, owner negligence.

From Purolator's website. I'm sure all the manufactures have similar statements:

From: http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Pages/FAQs.aspx

"Q: I want a bigger oil filter so I can maximize my filtration potential. What filter can you recommend?

A: We only recommend the OEM replacement part number for your specific vehicle. Any use of a filter not on our OEM recommended list will void the warranty we provide for our filters. Purolator filters ar built for each specific vehicle. Even if the oil filter can looks the same or is the same thread length it doesn't mean it will fit the application you are trying to use it on. Any custom oil conversion kits or relocator kits should have a filter size recommendation on the instruction sheet. Use that number to then find a cross-reference to a Purolator part number."

Yeah. 99.9% of the population would buy a filter with the right threads...maybe...but no regard to gasket diameter, flow rating, bypass setting, ADBV, or burst strength. Can't blame the filter makers for that restriction.

Filter makers are CYA on this.
Most filters have a oversize alternative, but finding one/it can
be a chore. But they are correct, if the very rare instance of a oil system failure, the right filter will keep the OEM warranty and the filter makers warranty in effect.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
But they are correct, if the very rare instance of a oil system failure, the right filter will keep the OEM warranty and the filter makers warranty in effect.

True.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back