Overheating in long drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
so, you're getting an overheat message or the temperature gauge is moving to the red?

either air or faulty waterpump.

Did this problem exist before you changed the coolant?

The temperature gauge is moving up but not all the way up.

This happened one year later after I changed the fuild.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Overheating on the freeway means you have a water flow problem, probably a blocked up radiator. When you overheat during slow, stop and go driving, look for an air flow issue.

So what can I do? Clean the radiator and re-installed it?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Replace radiator, heater core, water pump, and thermostat.

I really don't want to replace all of those parts because I'm low on budget. If the water pump is bad then car wouldn't start at all right or that the reason is car overheating and no heat.

Originally Posted By: Rohan
I really don't want to replace all of those parts because I'm low on budget. If the water pump is bad then car wouldn't start at all right or that the reason is car overheating and no heat.

I was summarizing what everybody else said. So basically, if you were to take the advice of everybody in this thread, you would end up replacing all those parts.
grin2.gif

Could be a collapsing "lower rad hose". Start the vehicle...and observe the hose while revving the engine.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I was summarizing what everybody else said. So basically, if you were to take the advice of everybody in this thread, you would end up replacing all those parts.
grin2.gif

Lol okay thank for that.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Could be a collapsing "lower rad hose". Start the vehicle...and observe the hose while revving the engine.

Yesterday while beedling the air I grab the two hoses top and bottom and they both felt cold to me not warm.

Last edited:

To the user above, the car overheat after 30 minutes on the highway then if I press the gas pedal it will go back to the normal temperature. I think it won't do this in the city because we are stopping and keep pressing the gas pedal.

Somehow I imagine your water pump impeller is almost totally kaput. Is there a way to break it down and examine it while only really wrecking its gasket?

You have airlock. Check any of the hoses that may be used to bleed air from the system to the coolant reservoir. They may be clogged. Look for bleeder valves or plugs that may need to be opened when filling the system. Bleed air with heat on maximum.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
You have airlock. Check any of the hoses that may be used to bleed air from the system to the coolant reservoir. They may be clogged. Look for bleeder valves or plugs that may need to be opened when filling the system. Bleed air with heat on maximum.

I think this car does not have the bleeder valves because I did look for it but if you know that my car have one please let me know.

Okay everyone thank for responding back.

I have bad new. Today I went out to the car and burp the hoses and while I was doing that I saw black dirts coming up to the funnel. So tomorrow I'm going to flush the radiator by putting the garden water hose into radiator cap then clean it out after that put the new radiator fuild in.

I have a question. Can I put the water in and drive it for 30 minutes or so and see if temperature gauge rising or not? After that I will put the new radiator fuild in. I know I can drive it with water in the radiator with no air conditioning running but I'm just making sure.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Flush the cooling system.

I'm going to do that tomorrow as soon I get home from work.

I forgot to ask can spark plugs be the reason that's overheating? Because I found a thread on my6thgen.org a user had a problems with overheating and he replaced the spark plugs which solve his problems. I posted his link below;

http://my6thgen.org/f266/overheating-long-drives-still-19964/

I've never heard of spark plugs causing an overhead condition. I can't understand why they would be related.

I flush the radiator and let the car running while pouring water into the radiator then I put the lower hose back on. After this fill the water up and still I didn't get no heat and yes I bleed the system correctly. I was getting really little heat but not like it will burn our hands. Tomorrow I'm going to drain radiator then put 50/50 antifreeze.

Which brands is cheap synthetic oil??? I have Mobil one synthetic oil with Mobil one oil filter in it but I would like to change it because I have 6k miles on them for one year. I was thinking if I change the oil then maybe it will solve overheating problem. I would like to buy with advance auto part, autozone, or orielly ads oil deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back