overfilled is overhyped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8

`Or in Australia ,everything is up side down, I just don't understand how it works!!!
confused.gif
[/quote]

And why thicker oils flow better in AU, as there is less gravitational pull to hold oil in the pan...

I'm sure it's fine, but not ideal. I wouldn't intentionally add that much extra oil.

My grandfather's Jeep with the 4.0L I overfilled because I poured in 6 quarts (what it takes) but I didn't change the oil filter and didn't think about it so it's about 1/2 a quart overfilled. I'm not worried.

My mechanic buddy has a customer with a Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0L and the guy kept adding oil because of a leak and didn't check the level when adding over the course of a couple weeks. My mechanic drained out just shy of 5 gallons of oil, it had 250k+ miles on it and still runs great.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
He clearly stated camshaft lobes, and clearly hasn't a clue where components are located inside a engine as related to the oil...

Haha, soo funny.. I made a typo, I'm old, big woops. Everything else is right.
Yes is the cranck that sits above the sump, happy now? And it has counter-weight lobes that can slush into the oil. Gosh...

ls7_crankshaft.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pontual
No way! 10 quarts overfilled?
Yup, he showed me the 5 gallon bucket he poured the oil into. It was about 2 inches from the rim.

Although there was oil everywhere underneath, the extreme oil pressure was blowing oil from every crevice possible.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I think it is. My Buick 3800 has 5 holes on the dipstick between the ADD line and the FULL line. The other day, only 4 holes were covered up with oil. So mathematically, I'd have to add 6.4 ounces to get the 5th hole covered up. The heck with that, in a another full quart it went. So now I'm probably a little less than a full quart overfilled. I've noticed NO difference in the way the car acts. Fuel mileage is the exact same 18.7mpg that it's always been.

Acceleration is the same as before too. No sluggishness to report. The only difference is maybe a slight improvement in smoothness, but I don't see how an extra quart is gonna do that. Most guys would just simply wait until the oil is down to the ADD line before adding the other quart, but I can't do that. I gotta have plenty of oil in the engine for piece of mind.

I don't think the Buick engine is the only engine out there unaffected by the extra quart. I think there's plenty of other engines out there that would be unaffected too. Maybe even some of those fragile Hondas.
grin2.gif

Keep adding, tell us what happens.

^^^ I agree 100%. Merk is cool. Has a good sense of humor too. Which is needed on here at times on here
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Don't pick on Merk.
He is a valued member here.
He just looks at things a little differently.

He'd be an awesome neighbor.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I just had me a brilliant idea:

I could go rent me a 2015 Honda Accord - drive it home - put it up on Rhino Ramps - drain all the 0W-20 out of it - fill it up with 6 quarts of 10W-30 - drive it around see if it blows up!
crackmeup2.gif

You must have a lot of time on your hands...

My E430 is very sensitive to overfill. Some years ago I checked the oil level before siphon with Mityvac, it was around a half quart low at 8 quarts in the sump and the Mityvac extract all of it(according to the capacity marks on the Mityvac reservoir). I refilled with 8.5 quarts and the dipstick showed the level at exactly full.

The next day after driving I used the onboard computer to check oil level, it said overfill and need to siphon a little. I checked the oil level with dipstick and it was about 1mm over the full mark.

After few weeks of driving the computer was satisfy and dipstick had oil level at full.

Since hen I fill the crankcase with 8 quarts instead of 8.5 quarts as recommended.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
thumbsup2.gif

I agree! I think Merk is an awesome guy! I bet he'd be fun to chill and hang out with. His posts always cheer me up and his positive attitude and happiness is infectious :^) I wish more people were like him.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
thumbsup2.gif

I agree! I think Merk is an awesome guy! I bet he'd be fun to chill and hang out with. His posts always cheer me up and his positive attitude and happiness is infectious :^) I wish more people were like him.
Yes, we all need a neighbor like Merk.

I imagine if he were my neighbor I'd look out my front door and see him washing his car wishing the soap was bubblier, or crouched next to his car after an oil change with his ear pressed to the fender trying to determine the smoothness of the new oil, or kneeled down in his grass trying to figure out how a grass seed works.

I welcome you to move to Arizona Merk, we have plenty of water for your grass here!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My E430 is very sensitive to overfill. Some years ago I checked the oil level before siphon with Mityvac, it was around a half quart low at 8 quarts in the sump and the Mityvac extract all of it(according to the capacity marks on the Mityvac reservoir). I refilled with 8.5 quarts and the dipstick showed the level at exactly full.

The next day after driving I used the onboard computer to check oil level, it said overfill and need to siphon a little. I checked the oil level with dipstick and it was about 1mm over the full mark.

After few weeks of driving the computer was satisfy and dipstick had oil level at full.

Since hen I fill the crankcase with 8 quarts instead of 8.5 quarts as recommended.

You're licking your computers boots?

I put 6.7 litres in the van on the last oil change. It calls for 6. Big whoop. Life goes on
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
An extra quart provides extra heat sink. I don't think oil froths anymore. They put in additives to prevent that.

hmmmmm...as a heat sink, as you'd be aware, you only get to heat it up once, then it's job is done...how much extra heat does a single quart of oil store on warm-up, and how is it relevant 10 minutes after ?

Cooling surfaces like sumps and blocks and rocker covers haven't grown in surface area, so there's little means to move any more heat out of the engine by that extra quart.

A (20%??) improved sump residence time isn't going to mean much if the sump isn't moving more heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back