overfilled is overhyped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: surfstar
This dipstick's story is full of holes.

Perfect...
10.gif

I like my piece of mind with a little chianti...

I usually over-all to just above the full. I have more than whole quarts lying around, so why not only add what's needed and save the rest for next time?

Older cars typically won't have an issue with a slight .5qt to 1qt overfill. Some of them may even benefit from it, depending on driving style.

Newer cars on the other hand, ehh... 1qt overfill might cause issues.

That reminds me - is (auto) tranny fluid the same way? Can a slight overfill cause frothing in a tranny sump?

~ Triton

There is far less margin for error in a automatic trans than most any engine, too high of level will have the clutch drums spinning in the fluid...

On my mitsubishi 4g13 engine..overfilling by 1/2 quart causes a rough idle. Drained the extra till the max line and engine idles great.

Last edited:
Ain't nothing compared to the guy I saw in 1987
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1579813/Re:_Repercussions_of_18_qts_of#Post1579813

A more recent update, my neighbour serviced his car the other day, a subaru forrester.

Took off the filter, drained the sump, replaced the filter and sump plug, and put in the right amount of oil.

Car ran funny, and wouldn't move off.

Turns out he'd drained the tranny, and filled the engine with two charges of oil.

"I would have just added 1/2 quart in order to save the other 1/2 quart for later."

Glad to see that someone here has common sense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I think it is.

Or you are just lucky that you drive only on flat land, no long slopes...

The reason is a "max" level on stick is not that the engineers where conspiring to confuse us.
The reason is that the given sump that they had design, filled at the "max" level, leaves a certain distance between the camshaft lobes and oil level. That distance has maintained even when car is driving on the maximum slope that is supposed to (by design) and probably, even the, the engineers left a little bit of "safety" room there.
The danger is not over pressuring the system.
The real danger is that when the cam lobes will start splashing in the oil with 2000-3000 rpm, they will start to mix air with the oil, and the oil will start frothing. Well, the froth (air) will eventually reach the oil pump suction (sure is all the way on the bottom, so it will take a while for the froth to build up to that level).
And when you will try to lubricate the main bearings with a mix of air and oil, you will have finally a catastrophic failure. It will be sudden, probably while driving on a steep incline for a while (mountain road).

Until that point (froth reaching the oil pump suction) it will be almost nothing to notice on drivability. Only if you open the oil cap you will see some froth.
So... is it over-hyped? I guess it depends of how much you need that engine.

Last edited:
Merkava is a known troll on other forums. Just leave him be.
It's about all you can expect from an internet warrior who averages over 1000 posts a year on this forum alone. Obviously spends more time inside on the computer than in the real world.

I just had me a brilliant idea:

I could go rent me a 2015 Honda Accord - drive it home - put it up on Rhino Ramps - drain all the 0W-20 out of it - fill it up with 6 quarts of 10W-30 - drive it around see if it blows up!
crackmeup2.gif

No way the starter would be able to turn over the engine with 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: SoNic67
I think it is.

The reason is a "max" level on stick is not that the engineers where conspiring to confuse us.
The reason is that the given sump that they had design, filled at the "max" level, leaves a certain distance between the camshaft lobes and oil level. That distance has maintained even when car is driving on the maximum slope that is supposed to (by design) and probably, even the, the engineers left a little bit of "safety" room there.
The real danger is that when the cam lobes will start splashing in the oil with 2000-3000 rpm, they will start to mix air with the oil, and the oil will start frothing. Well, the froth (air) will eventually reach the oil pump suction (sure is all the way on the bottom, so it will take a while for the froth to build up to that level).
And when you will try to lubricate the main bearings with a mix of air and oil, you will have finally a catastrophic failure. It will be sudden, probably while driving on a steep incline for a while (mountain road).

Until that point (froth reaching the oil pump suction) it will be almost nothing to notice on drivability. Only if you open the oil cap you will see some froth.

Is this more of a concern in pushrod engines or were you referring to the crank?

I think it is.

Your engine must be installed upside down, never seen one that camshaft was below the crankshaft center line...

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Is this more of a concern in pushrod engines or were you referring to the crank?

He clearly stated camshaft lobes, and clearly hasn't a clue where components are located inside a engine as related to the oil...

The motor in the '93 civic calls for 4.5qts. Every single time I change it, it's low. The last half takes it to middle of the fill zone. A quart over and I would probably be trying to check for aeration at every stop.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Your engine was better off being six ounces low of oil, rather than 26 ounces overfilled.

Why's that?
35.gif

No flow restrictions.
Ever wonder why manufacturers put maximum volume indicators on that dipstick? If it was good for your engine to have that extra 26 ounces, they would recommend it.

Why chance harm to a (hypothetical) 30K purchase? Your six ounces low is nothing. No harm to that engine even a quart low, in an average five quart sump. But you can harm it overfilling.

Also, you should check the dipstick when the vehicle is new, to know where the maximum level is. Sometimes the maximum level is not where you think it is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TFB1
I think it is.

Your engine must be installed upside down, never seen one that camshaft was below the crankshaft center line...

`Or in Australia ,everything is up side down, I just don't understand how it works!!!
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back