Overfill of oil.. What happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a ticking, slapping, knocking, squeaking noise the answer from the dealer is, "that's normal". If the car is out of warranty the classification of the noise changes to "that's $1,500", followed by the phone call that changes the noise to, "that's $2,000", sometimes followed by the follow up call, "that's $5,000". You have to have some sympathy for the service writer. A new car is a lot more complicated than a vacuum cleaner. A vacuum cleaner does not have a hood release or any of those other complicated things like a battery or a spare tire.

My 408 with the dual filters/cooler has a capacity of 7.5qts and we fill it with 8 even. My "rule of thumb" taken from the shade tree bible is simple....after driving it...leave it at idle on level ground...pull the dipstick and if there are bubbles or foam...you got too much oil in it....if not your OK...

Quote:

A brand new SOHC engine. It has 1300 km on it. I drained the factory fill at 1000 km and am noticing the engine is slightly louder now. Especially the tapping noise.

That's the problem, you have to refill it.
laugh.gif

Oh, sorry.

The reason GM recommends adding a quart to the Corvette is at high rpm with the standard fill you will only have 1 quart of oil in the pan the rest is in the upper engine.
The only time that you will need a windage tray is when you consistently run over 6000 rpm. Under 6000 rpm the oil will not foam.
I solved all of these problems by using a deep sump 10 quart pan with oil cooler it holds 12 quarts. The engine has a windage tray plus a crank scrapper and trap doors to keep oil under the pickup under acceleration.
I overfill all of my daily drivers my 4.0 V6 calls for 4.5 and I always dump 5 quarts in it. Since it won't wind high enough to foam the oil it is like patman said.

My oil pan takes something like 3.4 quarts in the Prizm
frown.gif

Now if I only knew for sure if it would accept 4 quarts safely.
hmmmmmmmmmmmm

My chevy 3.1 recommends 4.5 quarts. I run an oversized oil filter and 5 quarts seems to fit perfectly.

Those 5 quart jugs are GREAT.

Get the dealer to take out the extra oil, if they don't listen become a hardass and make them do it, if they still don't listen hire a lawyer and sue them and then sue them for lost wages and court fees! Then never go to the dealership again!!!

My altima said it took 4 1/4 quarts of oil after oil change and new oil filter, but I put 4 in and it was above the full mark by a little bit. Weird, because I let it drain for a good hour or two. It didn't seem to hurt anything though.

My F150 manual says 6 qts. It takes 6.75 qts. to get it to the full line on the dipstick. I keep it at the full line. I always fill the oil fiter prior to starting the engine as well.

I have never been a fan of over filling. I am of the opinion that there is a bit of capacity built in to handle a small amount of overfill, but when you consider that when you fill the car with oil, it has normally cooled down, so the level will be lower than when its hot which will already mean that by the time its at operating temp it is affectively overfilled. Thus overfilling when cool will result in a substantial overfill when hot due to oil expansion.
That is why my Opel/GM states that the level must be checked when the car has stood for 5 minutes after a good drive.
Based on this I in fact under fill by 200ml (3,8l in total), so when the car is hot, its spot on the full mark.
wink.gif

Hey, I have the 3.1L as well, also takes the 4.5 or 4.6 qts. I have seen both amounts listed in different manuals. I was thinking the same, because I always buy the big jug, but am starting to think to just dump it all in. What filter do you buy?? I get the NAPA golds, but what model would be the oversized one? I also looking for oversized one as well

The manual on my 97 Ford PSD says 14 qts. It takes 15 qts
to bring it up to full on the dip stick. I've been using
15 qts for 111.500mi w/o any untoward effects.

Quote:

What filter do you buy?? I get the NAPA golds, but what model would be the oversized one? I also looking for oversized one as well

I sent you an IM with a MUCH more detailed answer, but the short answer is: Oversized 18mmx1.5mm:

Napa 1036, WIX 51036, M1-201, Amsoil EaO23. There are others from the major filter makers, but i dont know the model numbers off hand.

Quote:

I have never been a fan of over filling. I am of the opinion that there is a bit of capacity built in to handle a small amount of overfill, but when you consider that when you fill the car with oil, it has normally cooled down, so the level will be lower than when its hot which will already mean that by the time its at operating temp it is affectively overfilled. Thus overfilling when cool will result in a substantial overfill when hot due to oil expansion.
That is why my Opel/GM states that the level must be checked when the car has stood for 5 minutes after a good drive.
Based on this I in fact under fill by 200ml (3,8l in total), so when the car is hot, its spot on the full mark.
wink.gif

The reason you should wait awhile after you shut off the engine is to wait on the oil to drain down into the pan.
The oil will expand very little but once the engine is running a lot of oil is up in the engine and the level will be much lower than when you checked it with the engine off.
If you hang out on some forums where guy's have Modified engines you will see guy's posting about oil pressure problems this is because 3 quarts will be up in the engine at high rpm and if you corner or accelerate the small amount of oil left will flow away from the pickup. That is why GM advices overfilling a Corvette when driving it hard.
Under normal driving it is not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back