Overfill Corvette if racing?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that they wanted the faster oil warmups and such that come with having less oil in the sump. But the extra is useful when on the track to avoid oil starvation. So basically, they're having you run it a quart low on the street.

They want you to overfill a bit because at sustained high RPM, oil gets stuck in the heads and does not have a chance to drainback down to the sump.

I did not realize this was as big of an issue with the LS motors as it was the Ford Modular engines. I remember reading Sean Hyland made plexiglass timing and valve covers for a DOHC mod motor and most of the oil was in the heads at high RPM, it could not drain back through the block fast enough to keep oil in the rest of the engine.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
They want you to overfill a bit because at sustained high RPM, oil gets stuck in the heads and does not have a chance to drainback down to the sump.

No That simply would be a poor design. It's the g force that makes the oil ride up the side of the pan and block.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

No That simply would be a poor design. It's the g force that makes the oil ride up the side of the pan and block.

That was a major design change when Ford came out with the Coyote 5.0L. They revised the oil drainback hols and made them significantly larger to solve the problem. Like the holes went from normal like 1" holes, to massive oval shaped ones.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I began overfilling at road courses over 40 years ago on the advice of the old timers there.

Conversely we always used to underfill at the strip!

Most higher performing cars that are truly track ready have extensive baffling in the pan to address this. I do not have to do a thing to the 6.1, it comes ready to race...

See my post above, not to be critical, but your SRT8 is not capable of the road handling performance of a Late model Corvette. The overfilling is due to oil not draining from heads when kept at high rpms and applies to all cars/engines, except those with dry sumps. Corvettes have baffles in their oil pans for normal road racing and are capable of pulling over 1g on skid pads!

Excuse me, but my performance envelope is right there with a standard model up to the C6. I have extensive road course experience in this sedan, exactly as delivered! NO OILING ISSUES at all. It easily pulls more than a full G in track trim with Michelin pilot street rubber. It also has a top speed in excess of 180 mph, which is faster than either of my C5's that I raced for almost a decade. Plus it actually has much better brakes. The only thing the Vettes have on me is weight, which allows them a clear advantage at the strip if the driver is any good.

I sure hope to see you at the track someday, you'd really enjoy a lap in my luxury sedan!

It's a driver's race, the advantage is not as large as you might think...

Last edited:
I began overfilling at road courses over 40 years ago on the advice of the old timers there.

Most higher performing cars that are truly track ready have extensive baffling in the pan to address this. I do not have to do a thing to the 6.1, it comes ready to race...

See my post above, not to be critical, but your SRT8 is not capable of the road handling performance of a Late model Corvette. The overfilling is due to oil not draining from heads when kept at high rpms and applies to all cars/engines, except those with dry sumps. Corvettes have baffles in their oil pans for normal road racing and are capable of pulling over 1g on skid pads!

Excuse me, but my performance envelope is right there with a standard model up to the C6. I have extensive road course experience in this sedan, exactly as delivered! NO OILING ISSUES at all. It easily pulls more than a full G in track trim with Michelin pilot street rubber. It also has a top speed in excess of 180 mph, which is faster than either of my C5's that I raced for almost a decade. Plus it actually has much better brakes. The only thing the Vettes have on me is weight, which allows them a clear advantage at the strip if the driver is any good. Another friend had a 2 seat 289 Cobra, which he road raced.

I sure hope to see you at the track someday, you'd really enjoy a lap in my luxury sedan!

The top speed of your SRT8 is listed as 173 mph, my 1998 Corvette is 176 mph with only 345 HP, aerodynamics is an advantage here. The cornering is listed as .89 g, not sure what your "race trim" is, but a stock Corvette pulls over 1g. I don't even consider my 1998 as a late model.

I must give you a "wave" as a past C5 owner though. In my younger days. A friend had a 1958 Chevy with Dyno Don Nicholson's 408 Chevy engine in it. He carried a spare set of spark plugs with him (always fouling), but could pull wheelies on the street. So I'm know a little about racing (York, PA US Route 30 Dragstrip). Another friend had a 10 second Corvette in 1968!

Last edited:
The only thing the Vettes have on me is weight, which allows them a clear advantage at the strip if the driver is any good.

Weight is everything when going around corners. A 4400 pound car is going to be a handful.

I'd like to see some on track pictures. Not that I doubt your veracity.

We could start a new thread and i'll post some of mine in the ole turtle.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
The only thing the Vettes have on me is weight, which allows them a clear advantage at the strip if the driver is any good.

Weight is everything when going around corners. A 4400 pound car is going to be a handful.

I'd like to see some on track pictures. Not that I doubt your veracity.

We could start a new thread and i'll post some of mine in the ole turtle.

A lot of it depends on the driver, unless its a GTR than even a poor driver is fast...

My buddy used to track his modified E55 a lot and said in his group their was a guy with a slightly tuned bonzi S65 AMG which used to embarrass a lot of super fast cars. The S65 driver was just good and had no fear, also its a very fast car which helped.

My uncle races his car a lot at Limerock and passes some pricey and on paper faster iron all the time, a lot of it comes down to the driver. Except GTR's...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: typ901
I am thinking about acknowledging my midlife crisis and buying a Corvette. I downloaded a 2008 owners manual and noticed this:

Except Z06: Be sure to check the oil level often during racing or other competitive driving and keep the level at or near 1 quart (1 L) above the upper mark that shows the proper operating range on the engine oil dipstick. After the competitive driving, remove excess oil so that the level on the dipstick is not above the upper mark that shows the proper operating range.

Yep. It's been SOP for guys tracking their LS-equipped cars to overfill the sump. I've been doing this on my Camaro for 10 years, but have found that at 1 quart over full, the oil carries over into the PCV system, and I get a big belch of oil smoke out the exhaust on the next startup. So I just overfill by 1/2 quart, and check/top-up the oil before every session. But I never have followed the instruction to pump out the excess oil for street use. It burns down the excess eventually.

SAME HERE, NO problems at all after 15 years of beating on it at the track, and driving it every day as well.
smile.gif

That said, the next time the pan is down, it is getting the Improved Racing baffle/windage tray.
wink.gif

The top speed of your SRT8 is listed as 173 mph, my 1998 Corvette is 176 mph with only 345 HP, aerodynamics is an advantage here. The cornering is listed as .89 g, not sure what your "race trim" is, but a stock Corvette pulls over 1g. I don't even consider my 1998 as a late model.

I must give you a "wave" as a past C5 owner though. In my younger days. A friend had a 1958 Chevy with Dyno Don Nicholson's 408 Chevy engine in it. He carried a spare set of spark plugs with him (always fouling), but could pull wheelies on the street. So I'm know a little about racing (York, PA US Route 30 Dragstrip). Another friend had a 10 second Corvette in 1968!

I loved my two C5's. One was easily a lower 12 second car even on real street tires if you could just hook it up. But at their best track ready trim they could not run with this 4 door sedan in anything but a straight line.

You may note that the only Vettes new or older that can pull a full G on a skidpad are equipped with Michelin Pilots, generally Sport Cup 2's which are not even a real street tire IMO. I run regular Pilot SS on mine after trying everything else.

Buy the lower trim Vette with all seasons and you'll understand why the bench racing cornering spec you quoted is almost meaningless. I was on factory [censored] tires. Skidpads are not triple digit corners with bumps and apexes!

My car came with a factory speed limiter at 173 which has been disabled, the car runs to 160+ in 4th gear very fast, then you hit 5th and its charge slows considerably but it still can top 180 and is completely stock except for the tuner. And while it has a poor drag coefficient it has extensive functional aerodynamic stuff all over, even has gills in the rear inner fenders to vent air at speed and a nearly smooth underbody. Rock solid at speed.

It has a beautiful fabricated aluminum oil pan on it with full baffling ready for track use. Factory Bilsteins. 14 inch 4 piston Brembos on all corners, surprisingly good. At Homestead I outbrake my friends trailered- in Porsche GTS at the entrance to the infield raceway starting from about 155 mph. I also easily embarrass my other friend in his newer M3 V8, which can run with me for top speed but cannot brake and turn in like my car can. Admittedly I can knock a few tenths off their lap times in their cars but they are both older experienced drivers. Where the big girl excels is in transitioning, it is one of the most stable platforms you will ever experience, especially if the track is not super smooth.

Not too many folks really know why the staff at Skip Barber preferred the 300c variant to any other LX SRT8 for track use. I do, I was present when they received their very first one at the SRT Track Experience. It would surprise many folks to know that the best handler is not a Charger or a Magnum.

Enjoy the Vette, I hope to see one at the auction soon with 3-4 k miles on it that scared somebody. If it's a ZO6 so much the better!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I thought the new C7 was dry sump?

The OP is talking about the C6 range that the Z06 was the only one with a "dry" sump. The C7 has optional "dry" sump with I think checking the Z51 box, you can still get one with wet sump.

Originally Posted By: Quest
I'm sorry blue but the logic simply doesn't make sense.

So, you are saying that GM sez overfilling 1qt (or 1Litre) poses no harm but you must(?) drain it out after racing; then ordinary "full" mark must be 1 quart low and that's considered normal?

In other words: GM designed that engine/oil pan to be underfilled as normal?

Given that logic: why not ordinary owners simply "overfill" it by close to 1qt above "full" mark and consider that the regular normal?

*confused*

Q.

Because overfilling one quart leaves no room for error in another quart ends up going in by mistake

I loved my two C5's. One was easily a lower 12 second car even on real street tires if you could just hook it up. But at their best track ready trim they could not run with this 4 door sedan in anything but a straight line.

You may note that the only Vettes new or older that can pull a full G on a skidpad are equipped with Michelin Pilots, generally Sport Cup 2's which are not even a real street tire IMO. I run regular Pilot SS on mine after trying everything else.

Buy the lower trim Vette with all seasons and you'll understand why the bench racing cornering spec you quoted is almost meaningless. I was on factory [censored] tires. Skidpads are not triple digit corners with bumps and apexes!

My car came with a factory speed limiter at 173 which has been disabled, the car runs to 160+ in 4th gear very fast, then you hit 5th and its charge slows considerably but it still can top 180 and is completely stock except for the tuner. And while it has a poor drag coefficient it has extensive functional aerodynamic stuff all over, even has gills in the rear inner fenders to vent air at speed and a nearly smooth underbody. Rock solid at speed.

It has a beautiful fabricated aluminum oil pan on it with full baffling ready for track use. Factory Bilsteins. 14 inch 4 piston Brembos on all corners, surprisingly good. At Homestead I outbrake my friends trailered- in Porsche GTS at the entrance to the infield raceway starting from about 155 mph. I also easily embarrass my other friend in his newer M3 V8, which can run with me for top speed but cannot brake and turn in like my car can. Admittedly I can knock a few tenths off their lap times in their cars but they are both older experienced drivers. Where the big girl excels is in transitioning, it is one of the most stable platforms you will ever experience, especially if the track is not super smooth.

Not too many folks really know why the staff at Skip Barber preferred the 300c variant to any other LX SRT8 for track use. I do, I was present when they received their very first one at the SRT Track Experience. It would surprise many folks to know that the best handler is not a Charger or a Magnum.

Enjoy the Vette, I hope to see one at the auction soon with 3-4 k miles on it that scared somebody. If it's a ZO6 so much the better!

I definitely believe the SRT8 300 will run in excess of 180mph only because I've had my charger do 160mph. Of course the speed limiter has been disabled and I run a high octane tune but that's it.
On stock sized tires too.
The LX based hemi cars are something special. Right out of the box they are extremely high speed capable yet mild mannered grabbing this weeks groceries.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Because overfilling one quart leaves no room for error in another quart ends up going in by mistake

Sorry bud, don't buy it.

Try giving me proper mechanical explanation?

Q.

Excuse me, but my performance envelope is right there with a standard model up to the C6. I have extensive road course experience in this sedan, exactly as delivered! NO OILING ISSUES at all. It easily pulls more than a full G in track trim with Michelin pilot street rubber. It also has a top speed in excess of 180 mph, which is faster than either of my C5's that I raced for almost a decade. Plus it actually has much better brakes. The only thing the Vettes have on me is weight, which allows them a clear advantage at the strip if the driver is any good.

What is the new Corvette's oil capacity? I recall the Hemis hold seven quarts.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
LT1 is wet sump?

Actually it can be both. The Z51 options include a dry sump. I assume that oil capacity would be greater, used to be around 8 quarts.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I thought the new C7 was dry sump?

The OP is talking about the C6 range that the Z06 was the only one with a "dry" sump. The C7 has optional "dry" sump with I think checking the Z51 box, you can still get one with wet sump.

The C6 ZR1 also had the same dry sump system from the factory.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back