Ouch! Michelin Destroyed Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
My rear end is ELD and we are talking 4/32" (1/8" or is it 1/4" for both sides?) difference in the OD--that could be made up with varying air pressure. I am not sure that it will create that much of a problem--right?

If you have an ELD then you don't really need to worry about it. You shouldn't be driving around in Texas with the diff locked anyhow. If you are, you're probably spinning the rear tires and in that case all slightly different size tires might do is either confuse traction control a little or make the rear want to slide/pull to one side. As long as you're running the diff unlocked it shouldn't matter.

Note that not all limited slips use clutches. varying designs have different requirements. I'm sure the diff will be ok on this one.

Scary accident! Just shows you how quick things can go wrong. One bounce and that thing could have speared the cab!

Glad everything turned out ok and no one is hurt. And how about that treadlife! That tire was going to last a LOOOOOONG time...

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Was this on the North or East Loop? I have been close to, or nearly involved in, some very scary experiences. I most definitely know what you are talking about.

It was I-10 West between 610 and Beltway 8. This happens with such frequency that I fully agree with the "safety net" law that CA has; in fact, every state should have it. In another life, I was a maintenance superintendent and I have now forgotten how many pounds per foot an I-Beam of that size weighs, but the damage it could cause moving at 65mph (in combination with the potential wrecks) is quite scary.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Note that not all limited slips use clutches. varying designs have different requirements. I'm sure the diff will be ok on this one.

Scary accident! Just shows you how quick things can go wrong. One bounce and that thing could have speared the cab!

Glad everything turned out ok and no one is hurt. And how about that treadlife! That tire was going to last a LOOOOOONG time...

Thanks Steve! I was really never a big fan of Michelin, BUT I am now (as long as they are not OEM Michelins). 4/32" in 46,000 miles with the towing that I have done is amazing and represents a fantastic value. For reference, the OEM Pirelli Scorpions only lasted 51,000 before the belts were showing on the inner edges of the tread (the alignment was not off as indicated by the wear of these Michelins).

Originally Posted By: JRed
My rear end is ELD and we are talking 4/32" (1/8" or is it 1/4" for both sides?) difference in the OD--that could be made up with varying air pressure. I am not sure that it will create that much of a problem--right?

If you have an ELD then you don't really need to worry about it. You shouldn't be driving around in Texas with the diff locked anyhow. If you are, you're probably spinning the rear tires and in that case all slightly different size tires might do is either confuse traction control a little or make the rear want to slide/pull to one side. As long as you're running the diff unlocked it shouldn't matter.

Right; my thoughts exactly. I have only used ELD in the mud or snow (in CO/WY/MT) and when not engaged, it should behave as an open axle (although, when both rear wheels are off the ground they will both spin the same direction if one of them is spun).

I'd move the new one to a front position and try to have 2 evenly worn ones on the rear. but thats just me.

In Washington State dropping a load is a gross misdemeanor with a possible penalty of 364 days in jail and a $5000 fine. Contact your state legislators and see if they have any interest in making this the serious matter it needs to be. If any of the media outlets have consumer reporters, try to get them interested and interview law enforcement about why truck load lashings aren't checked regularly.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.655

In Ohio they have State troopers with vehicles marked Motor Carrier Enforcement. They always have trucks pulled over.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I'd move the new one to a front position and try to have 2 evenly worn ones on the rear. but thats just me.

What difference would it make? I am just curious about your thoughts. All tire manufacturers state that new tires ALWAYS go on the rear of the vehicle no matter if it is FWD/4WD/AWD/RWD. Discount Tire would not install the new one anywhere but the rear so there has to be merit to it--i.e. no spin-out in a wet curve, etc.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
In Washington State dropping a load is a gross misdemeanor with a possible penalty of 364 days in jail and a $5000 fine. Contact your state legislators and see if they have any interest in making this the serious matter it needs to be. If any of the media outlets have consumer reporters, try to get them interested and interview law enforcement about why truck load lashings aren't checked regularly.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.655

I agree with you; I have the e-mail addresses of my congress persons, so I think I will drop them all a line. This happens with far too much frequency in Houston and I have to think it is happening all over Texas--this is not just a Houston thing.

Wow, good thing it was just the tire and edge of the wheel and you were able to get off the road safely.

I had a similar incident happen a few years ago. I was on an interstate doing about 70 MPH when a pickup one lane over and slightly in front of me dropped a large metal car bumper into the road. It bounced over into the lane I was in, directly in front of my Explorer. My options were to hit it directly, swerve into the car to my right, or go for the grass median to my left. I picked the median. Flying down a bumpy grass median in an Explorer at 70 MPH is an "oh [censored]" moment to say the least.

Yikes! That was too close. Glad it was just a tire.
I came around a corner on the interstate once and found a massive piece of steel square tubing-I want to say it was a leg off of a semi trailer because it had a foot on one side. I had to dive for the fast lane about as fast as I could. At 75mph, that wouldnt have been pretty. Im sure it would've torn my suspension clean off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Seems to me the police could track down where the I-beam came from and where it was going. Some building site is going to be missing an I-beam.

One would think, but in a metro area of nearly 5 million, I suspect the overworked/understaffed police departments have more than enough to do already. Requiring safety nets on these type trucks would go a long way to preventing incidents like this. My tire was cheap--vehicle damage and personal injuries are not. It just happens all too often to be ignored.

1 - Glad you are ok. That is the most important thing. My Dad actually had a very similar thing happen years ago that almost killed him. He was following a plumbing truck with an improperly secured load of pipes. When the truck went over a bump one of the pipes came lose and came flying back right through the windshield like a spear. Just barely missed hitting him in the head.

2 - JMO but you should take the time to report this to the Police. Either local or state or sheriff or whomever would have got the report if another motorist saw it and reported it( varies so from state to state on who handles what these days ). You don't have to expect anything to come out of it but you never know.

Maybe there is a report so they know about it and they already found out who was driving. If you add in the damage to your vehicle, and the fact it could have killed you, plus you being a witness at a trial it could give them the extra they need to charge the SOB with something so he/she will learn they have to secure their load.

Take 5 minutes out of your day and report it. What is it going to hurt? It might just lead to that driver getting what for.

Last edited:
Seems to me the police could track down where the I-beam came from and where it was going. Some building site is going to be missing an I-beam.

One would think, but in a metro area of nearly 5 million, I suspect the overworked/understaffed police departments have more than enough to do already. Requiring safety nets on these type trucks would go a long way to preventing incidents like this. My tire was cheap--vehicle damage and personal injuries are not. It just happens all too often to be ignored.

I think the police would probably do nothing. Not to say there isn't a lot of good ones out there, but many would rather not go through the effort or do not have the time. At least it would be on record though.

Personally I think the safety net is both a good and bad idea. I see it more as a bad idea though. Why? Simple. It's like any other idiot proofing device. Now that there is a safety net there, people will be even more lazy about properly securing their loads. The net isn't going to hold everything back either. It is a good thing for the accident every once and awhile. Sometimes there is a screwup.

I would guess in Houston there is a lot of poor quality truck drivers. However most of the stuff that gets spilled on the road comes from consumers hauling junk with little to no securement.

Union truck driver, union job, union cop, yeah sure. Only if someone was killed or injured badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back