Opinions on Concoco (76) super syn blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a GM parts manager in the process of re-negotiating a contract with an oil supplier. For the last ten years or so we have used Chevron supreme as our bulk oil, but our local distributor has closed and the area we are in has been taken over by a much larger company that quite frankly, I don't care to deal with.

The only other local guy is a Conoco-Phillips distributor. I don't know much about the quality of their product, but they offer a syn blend (they claim 50/50 but who really knows) for essentially the same price as the chevron conventional, and they are a locally based company.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

I work for a local city near you. I have seen a barrel of 76 blend in our fleet shop. Our cars are tools and are driven hard daily. Curious, I use a fast lube in Sherwood (Chevron) that uses Chevron Supreme. Is bulk Chevron not available around here anymore?

Get something in writing that it's a 50/50 blend. Most are more like 90/10 blend. If the above is true, go for it. Your customer vehicles will be happy.

Conoco-Phillips syn blends are all great oils. Getting a syn-blend for the same price as a straight 'dino' is also a great marketing tactic to use. IIRC, in the US Firestone shops use Kendall GT-1 syn-blend.

Originally Posted By: foxer
I work for a local city near you. I have seen a barrel of 76 blend in our fleet shop. Our cars are tools and are driven hard daily. Curious, I use a fast lube in Sherwood (Chevron) that uses Chevron Supreme. Is bulk Chevron not available around here anymore?

Its available still. Its just carried by the walmart of oil distributors in the region.

Conoco-Philips makes a whole series of syn blended oils, including Motorcraft, Philips66 TropArc, and Kendell GT-1 as stated above. I think the add packs may vary but the base oils are probably very similar and seem to be very good overall...

In my region, Kendell GT-1 is their main representative based solely on name recognition and I've used it several times with no problems...

There isn't anything wrong with Conoco oils. They don't market their brands as the big guys do. This keeps cost down, which helps us the customer. Conoco makes the following oils, 76, TropArtic, Conoco, Kendall, Motorcraft. The first four are pretty much the same, Motorcraft is considered a tad better.

CP uses 90% Group II base with 10% Korean group III to meet the SM rating.

What part of Oregon do you live in? I had to order some 76 Full Synthetic 5W-40 for my mothers VW Beetle. I ordered it from the 76 distributor in Hillsboro. When I went down there to pick up the case. I was suprised to see a whole wharehouse full of 76 products. I didn't know 76 was really big in the truck/industrial fluids.

Can't you go with straight Dino or do you need a syn blend? I agree that Motorcraft is excellent.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Conoco-Philips makes a whole series of syn blended oils, including Motorcraft, Philips66 TropArc, and Kendell GT-1 as stated above. I think the add packs may vary but the base oils are probably very similar and seem to be very good overall...

In my region, Kendell GT-1 is their main representative based solely on name recognition and I've used it several times with no problems...

Same here. We get the Kendall which is the same stuff as the 76. Very good oil.

COP makes good oils. As long as it meets SM spec's that's all that will matter. The syn blend (I highly doubt 50/50) should be a selling point to your customers. If it's Motorcraft just don't tell them, some of those GM drivers are bound to think you're trying to damage their engine.

I buy the Trop_artic syn-blend at Sam's Club by the case...I am glad I found this thread because it is confirming stuff I already knew and providing even more info. Although, for some reason, I thought that the Trop-artic tested better in UOA than the Motorcraft???

I can ssure you none of them are 50/50; syn-blend oils are ususally dino with a squirt of syn oil just for the marketing.

Makes me wonder if it is better to use a GP-II+ dino like Castrol GTX instead of a standard GP-II with a squirt of cheap GP-III despite the SM rating for both?

I still think their oils are a heck of a deal and many who have used them have good UOA....

I just need to know if the Motorcraft is really better? ANYONE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back