Opinion on Motorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard many times and even from the dealer that the motorcraft 15w-40 is a blended synth. I used to let dealer service the powerstroke due to it being under warranty, now I am doing my own oil changes and I want to know about the motorcraft a bit more. its a 6.0 and its always been dealer serviced since new, and when I went to purchase oil the guy working the counter said that going to a non-synth would not be a good idea after many miles of motorcraft. I have not been able to find on the bottle or website about the motorcraft blend. I called shell and they replied that I could use rotella with no prob. since it was the same price as motorcraft, but if the motorcraft is a synth blend(cant find the claim)would it be better? I just bought the motorcraft oil and filter cause thats what has always been in there. What do you guys think? Also the motorcraft filter said on the box that its good to filter 95% down to 18 to 20 microns, isnt that pretty [censored]? should it be more like 5-10 microns? why is this acceptable? hope the oil is better than the filter.

Originally Posted By: wayniac
Also the motorcraft filter said on the box that its good to filter 95% down to 18 to 20 microns, isnt that pretty [censored]? should it be more like 5-10 microns? why is this acceptable? hope the oil is better than the filter.

The Motorcraft oil should serve you well. When Powerstrokes first came out, a lot of people used Motorcraft oil exclusively because of some foaming issue, and the Motorcraft oil dealt with it better than the others. I'm sure that problem has been worked out in the 12 or so years the Powerstrokes have been available, and other oils would do the job just as well.

As for Motorcraft filters, there have been all kinds of debates here as to what the efficiency actually is. None of us knows if these figures are their minimum requirements or actual test data. In any case, they're a quality filter. I've used Motorcraft filters for many years. If you choose to go to another filter, ensure you're getting something of comparable or better quality. Wix or a FleetGuard Stratapore would likely serve you well, too.

Any CI-4+ or CJ-4 oil will suffice in your 6.0L for "normal" OCIs. Sure, MC is good oil, but so are many, many other brands. You can remain loyal to MC, or choose to move to other brands. Performance wise, I doubt you'd ever know the difference, and neither will your engine, as long as you stick with OEM OCI intervals.

Same goes for the filter. Any product that's well made and designed for that application, and is used according to OEM spec's, will do fine.

Of all the known issues with the 6.0L Powerstroke, lubrication will not be it's undoing ...

Last edited:
I have a 2002 7.3 and used the Motorcraft 15w40 with no issues. I am now using Delo 15w40 and also like it. The WM Stores in my area sell the 5 quart jugs of MC 15w40 for $11.50 each and the MC FL1995 Oil Filter for $10.00 (Complete oil change for about $45.00, hard to beat)

When I use my remaining Delo 15w40 during my next few oil changes, I am thinking about going back to the MC 15w40 and staying with the MC Oil Filter. The MC Oil Filter in my opinion is a great choice for $10.00

If memory serves me correctly, the MC 15w40 Oil is made by Conoco-Phillips who make quality products I am told.

Last edited:
for the 6.0 use ONLY the motorcraft/international/racor(all the same filter) there have been many issues with the oil filter fitment issues with the 6.0.
some fram filters are the same as above, the tell tale sign is the patent # on the bottom of the element.

as far as oil anything CI-4 or newer will be fine, 15w-40/5w-40, or 10w-30.
there are many uoa's in the uoa section to help with your decision on brand

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Any CI-4+ or CJ-4 oil will suffice in your 6.0L for "normal" OCIs. Sure, MC is good oil, but so are many, many other brands. You can remain loyal to MC, or choose to move to other brands. Performance wise, I doubt you'd ever know the difference, and neither will your engine, as long as you stick with OEM OCI intervals.

Same goes for the filter. Any product that's well made and designed for that application, and is used according to OEM spec's, will do fine.

Of all the known issues with the 6.0L Powerstroke, lubrication will not be it's undoing ...
No better advise can be given!

I have heard many times and even from the dealer that the motorcraft 15w-40 is a blended synth. I used to let dealer service the powerstroke due to it being under warranty, now I am doing my own oil changes and I want to know about the motorcraft a bit more. its a 6.0 and its always been dealer serviced since new, and when I went to purchase oil the guy working the counter said that going to a non-synth would not be a good idea after many miles of motorcraft. I have not been able to find on the bottle or website about the motorcraft blend. I called shell and they replied that I could use rotella with no prob. since it was the same price as motorcraft, but if the motorcraft is a synth blend(cant find the claim)would it be better? I just bought the motorcraft oil and filter cause thats what has always been in there. What do you guys think? Also the motorcraft filter said on the box that its good to filter 95% down to 18 to 20 microns, isnt that pretty [censored]? should it be more like 5-10 microns? why is this acceptable? hope the oil is better than the filter.
I flip-flop between conventional & synthetic Valvoline all the time on my '04 6.0 PSD-doesn't hurt it at all, usually use syn in winter because I can't plug it in easily & it loads up/wet stacks when you try to start it stone cold w/dino below freezing, now at 198K, still not using much oil (maybe a quart every 5K, which usually takes only TWO MONTHS!).

I personally wouldn't push a 6.0 much past a 5K OCI myself-not without UOAs to watch out for shear effects, also not sure how long Ford's anti-foaming additives would last.

I could not find any info on this "Blended" Motorcraft oil. I just went ahead with the motorcraft 15w-40 oil and the motorcraft filter, thats all my truck has ever had in it, so I will push off anything else till after summer. I am just wondering about the motorcraft oil still, is it a blend as everyone claims, but I cant find the claim? maybe I am not looking in the right place, I have checked the website, the ford website, the bottles and the boxes. I am not sure what to look for to tell in a UOA/VOA. I was also wondering about the filters rating of 95% at 18-20 microns, the bypass systems are used to reduce it down to 3-5 microns, given such a gap why would motorcraft not produce or specify a filter down to at least 10 microns as most companies do? Is there a reason that anyone knows of? Is this perhaps a stats thing? ( ex. after research they show that a 20 micron filter will give a B20 at 250,000 mi, where a 10 micron filter will give a B20 of 350,000 mi) could it be a financial issue given that they think very highly of bypass filtration? I would like my truck to last and going cheap with replacement parts (even if they are Motorcraft) is not the way.

What OCI's do you guys adhere to? The repair manual says anything over 2500mi needs antifoam, The owners manual says 5K, oil companies claim higher, and the dealer where its maintained says "just follow the sticker" thats 3k or time.

My truck is a bone stock 04' (early round EGR) and zero problems as of yet, with 86,000 on the clock used for towing, not a daily driver.

Sorry for so many questions in such a short period of time, thanks for all the replies!

on my 07 its been 7500mi. since new, with the uoa's to back-up my change intervals. the only sub-par uoa i've had was on rotella 5w-40, two in a row. i run deere plus 50 10w-30 now.

i had an 04 6.0 i run to 7500mi. oci's also on deere plus 50 15w-40 with never an issue. uoa's are the key to know how the heui system is reacting with your oil choice along with your driving habits

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I would like the filters i use to be as free flowing as possible...
Which filters do not flow enough?

I was also wondering about the filters rating of 95% at 18-20 microns, the bypass systems are used to reduce it down to 3-5 microns, given such a gap why would motorcraft not produce or specify a filter down to at least 10 microns as most companies do? Is there a reason that anyone knows of? Is this perhaps a stats thing?

This has been argued to death elsewhere, with no real consensus. Some would argue that the Motorcraft filters are garbage. I, on the other hand, agree with those that believe that the Ford listed specs are basically the minimum OEM requirements.

If you look at the Motorcraft website, for example, you'll see that far more attention is paid to part fit (i.e. threads and so forth) and cross referencing than actual performance statistics. My suspicion is that the Motorcraft website is designed for people to obtain the proper parts, not obtain performance statistics on the parts.

If one looks hard enough, no matter what the application, one can find another filter that performs better, at least under one or more criteria. With the Motorcraft, however, you know it will meet all specifications. It won't have a wonky bypass setting, or the bypass in the "wrong" place, and it will flow appropriately.

motorcraft oil and filters are all i will use in my 7.3 ps . i use the napa gold for my fuel filter though.

Any advice on other filters? I want the best fitment and the best filtration avail. I will also look into the bypass filtration.

Any advice on other filters? I want the best fitment and the best filtration avail. I will also look into the bypass filtration.

Personally, for fitment, I'd stick with the Motorcraft. If filtration really concerns you, there are plenty of choices, like Fram Extended Guards, PureOnes, Bosch Distance Plus, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, K&N, Stratapore, and so forth. Stratapores might be the easiest to find for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back