Only Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every engine that has piston cooling jets such as an SRT 6.1 Hemi, require synthetic. At least the ones I have seen. I would guess when you have cooler misted oil squirting on the undersides of hot pistons going from small cool(er) droplets to running heated liquid, one might want the most stable fluid out there.
Just thought I would throw that out there.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Okay, so what about all of those tractor trailers that run at near their power peak for hundreds of miles at a time using only Rotella T, Delvac 1300 or some other dino HDEO?
These engines do have huge sumps, but they seem to do just fine on conventional oils.

Isn't Rotella group III oil? AFAIK it is.This is why prolonged OCI are possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Isn't Rotella group III oil?

The North American 15w-40 is marketed as a dino, but does have some ACEA E specs and a reasonably high TBN for long drains.

The North American 15w-40 is marketed as a dino, but does have some ACEA E specs and a reasonably high TBN for long drains. [/quote]

15w-40 are dino over here too and some 10w-40,but not all. Everything else is HC with more or less PAO depending on grade.Full PAO and ester are really expensive,some oils costing over 20€ liter.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Every engine that has piston cooling jets such as an SRT 6.1 Hemi, require synthetic. At least the ones I have seen. I would guess when you have cooler misted oil squirting on the undersides of hot pistons going from small cool(er) droplets to running heated liquid, one might want the most stable fluid out there.
Just thought I would throw that out there.

You're right about wanting the most stable non-volatile oil for any engine. However, Synthetics are not required for all the GM cars that have piston cooling jets, only semi-synthetic dexos1 oils. Ford does not require synthetics for its Ecoboost turbo/DI engines, only conventional dino oil, not even stuff that can qualify for dexos1. Link to Inside Ecoboost Still, you're right they should require synthetics in turbo and/or direct injection engines with piston cooling jets.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
15w-40 are dino over here too and some 10w-40,but not all.

I have even less interest in 10w-40 than I do 10w-30.
wink.gif
If one does find a PAO oil here, there's a fairly good chance it will be a 40 grade of some sort, be it a 0w-40 or 5w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back