old 4 way lug wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have an old 4 way lug wrench. i was my dads, i remember it when i was very small. it is a Blackhawk brand. i think it might be as old as ww2, but not sure. the trouble is it rusted very badly. i know i can get the rust removed, thats known for sure. the trouble is i am thinking of getting it plated. 1. should i plate it? 2. what plate should i get? this is the list i think would be the right plate, nickel,black oxide, other. i come here cause ill get the best ideas i can find. what think?

I like POR-15. I use it all over the place on rusty car bits. Sign up for their emails, they send free shipping codes out around the holidays.

Plated? I think that would be too much bling, and it could still rust from inside out.

If you can do black oxide and then apply a good rustprrofing like eezox, that may be decent.

Or else some 0000 steel wool and then a coating of motor oil may be perfect.

The original finish could be black, steel, or chrome depending on age. This site has full reference. Blackhawk tools
blackhawk_5104_wrench_rim_cropped_inset3.jpg

It's very cool.

Would arrant building a bluing/rusting cabinet...maybe not a molten salt blue.

I'd probably sandblast it to bare metal before doing anything.

For longevity, get it galvanized. For nostalgia, get it blued.

Assuming it has no collector value, I'd simply remove the rust and leave it alone.

If it has any collector value (not likely, but always worth checking out) anything you do as far as changing the appearance may significantly reduce the value.

man o man you cats have the best ideas. i like the black oxide. but i cant get to the project till after the first of the year. ill let you know how turns out. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back