Okay to run Mobil 1 and 0w-40 in Minneapolis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
0w-40 being thicker at the freezing point than 0w-20 isn't terribly relevant to an engine being able to start or run in the winter, particularly at the mild 10 F you referenced. For instance, last night, my G37 spent several hours outside in -4 F. It has Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 in the sump (obviously thicker than either a 0w-20 or M1 0w-40). It turned over perfectly fine, started normally, and ran normally. No strange sounds appeared.

No offense intended, but Caravelles were some of the least refined vehicles I've seen in the last forty years. They made a noisy production out of just about everything they did.

Aside from last night's instance, I've used lower VI oils and grades less suitable for winter in far colder temperatures in years past, particularly when that was all that was available. I won't say it was optimal, but none of these dramatic effects were noticed unless there were other underlying problems.

A 5w-XX will work very well in just about any winter temperatures you'll ever see in North America, assuming the vehicle is plugged in when appropriate and in proper mechanical condition, as I mentioned. I stand by my statement. If you're struggling to start your vehicle in the winter, or, even more telling, to keep it running, then you have problems that go beyond the oil. Somehow, vehicles have been moving in this province for many, many winters, long before the common acceptance of 0w-20 (or any 0w-xx).

My old LTD went over 500,000 km. It never spent a night in a garage. It never got anything lighter than a 5w-30 conventional. Yet, I started it on countless -40 days and it never had problems staying running. The power steering pump made excessive noise in such weather. I didn't try to make my best 0-60 time 30 seconds after starting. But, let's not exaggerate. I had a good battery, properly metered fuel, a functioning block heater, and an oil within specifications.

The only vehicle I ever had trouble keeping running in the cold was the F-150 about 3 years ago when the garbage electronic feeback carb gave up the ghost and the choke would function extremely erratically. Oh, and I had trouble starting it once. The battery gave up the ghost, too; it was ten years old.

Lately, there have been way too many threads ascribing way too much to motor oils. I changed grades/brands/base stocks and now I lost 10 mpg. I changed grades/brands/base stocks and now gained 10 mpg. Brand X sludged up my motor in 3000 miles. Brand Y will clean that sludge out before your engine warms up. Brand Z makes my vehicle impossible to start even though it's only marginally thicker than what I used before and it's not even winter. Brand A makes my vehicle run rough. Which is the best winter oil for Death Valley?

A 0w-XX of any sort is perfectly fine for winter anywhere. A 5w-XX is still more than acceptable for the bulk of drivers, although something like -40 C unaided might be a problem (that can easily apply to 0w-XX, too). Even my old Audi's manual allowed for 15w-40 down to -15 C and 10w-40 down to -20 C.

I do pay attention to cold cranking specifications, and a higher VI is certainly nice. But, we do need to stay on the ground here. If I had a vehicle that would barely start at 10 F with a 5w-XX in it and barely run thereafter, I'd be doing some checks into the electrical and fueling systems. And, if it sounded ghastly at such mild temperatures, it's either simply the way the vehicle was, or it's time to send the vehicle to the wrecker.

I have never once needed boutique oils or the thinnest of the thin to start a vehicle in our winters or keep them running. I'm not about to start, either.

Originally Posted By: Garak
For instance, last night, my G37 spent several hours outside in -4 F.

Wait a minute, it's -4 F in Canada already ?
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

shocked2.gif

Obviously you aren't familiar with where Garak lives:

inupiat-eskimo-igloo_438.jpg

grin.gif

Yep, it was that cold last night. And the G spent several hours in it, without Petro-Canada's best Arctic marketed 0w-20, nor block heater, nor oil pan heater, and it and I survived without suffering through silly noises or needing a tow truck or a St. Bernard with a flask.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

grin.gif

Yes, we hate it when our igloos start to melt in July. But then again, we no longer have to go outside to tan then.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: blackman777
0w-40 is thicker at freezing point than 0w-20.
If you're having a problem with starting a vehicle or keeping it running with any 5w-XX (assuming it's plugged in when appropriate) anywhere in North America, it's not the fault of the oil. Battery, fueling, or tune is the issue.

The engine squeeled like a pig. The Delvac 5w-40 was definitely too thick, and the metal-on-metal sound didn't go away for about ten minutes (when it finally warmed up).

shocked2.gif

grin.gif

Yep, it was that cold last night. And the G spent several hours in it, without Petro-Canada's best Arctic marketed 0w-20, nor block heater, nor oil pan heater, and it and I survived without suffering through silly noises or needing a tow truck or a St. Bernard with a flask.

Bahahahaha.
Yep. -26c last night. I've got 0w-40 in my charger and it started up without any effort however I wasn't ready for it.
A 5w is fine even in last nights cold. Sure a 0w might be a bit better but at these type temps I'm letting mine warm up a bit. The seat heater anyways.

shocked2.gif

grin.gif

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

"Runnin' back to Saskatoon" - I like that song, and almost all of their stuff for that matter.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back