Okay, bought newer truck, question on anit freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 1996 GMC 2500 4X4 7.4/454 motor 4L80E transmission,219.000Km/137.000 on it.
I looked at the coolant in it when I drew some out with a hydrometer to check freezing point, I got -20°F but my question is that it appeared almost to be maybe yellow or real light green?
It sure does not look like the orange/pinky Dexcool we use in our C5500 shuttle buses, so am wondering if previous owner changed it out, and now I am wondering what I should use in it.
Any help?

What year did GM start putting in DexaCool. I know that it had to be at least 1998, because my Mom's 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo came with the pink stuff.

When they brought the car home, I thought someone put ATF in the coolant recovery tank.

Okay, here is what I ended up picking up at our local SuperStore it was $5.29CDN for a 3.78Litre container.
The Prestone® team takes the guesswork out of knowing which antifreeze to choose from with our newly re-formulated Antifreeze/Coolant that is compatible with ANY Antifreeze/Coolant found in ANY make or model car or light-duty truck on the road today. Prestone’s full line of car care and appearance products are also available to make your driving experience the best it could possibly be.
New Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. This patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum.

prestoneAntiCool3.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back