Oils for V8 SBC and Fords

Status
Not open for further replies.
1: First there were issues about Syn oils with Rolla bearings

2: Now there are issues with Modern SM rating oils and Flat Tappet Cam's

3: There are always comments about how ultra modern, ultra light oils are EPA oils not engine oil.

I think it's far to say "I've seen the oil of the future.
It's a high quality mineral 20w 50, and if your engine can't use it, UNLUCKY!"

I think it's fair to say "I've seen the oil of the future.
It's a mineral 20w 50, and if your engine can't use it, UNLUCKY!"

Quote:

I think it's fair to say "I've seen the oil of the future.
It's a mineral 20w 50, and if your engine can't use it, UNLUCKY!"

If your engine needs a mineral 20w-50 to live, I'd say you have a POS engine.
laugh.gif

Apparantly synthetic or semi-synthetic route can cause problems with film breakdown due to shear loads on older wider-tolerance engines.

Quote:

Apparantly synthetic or semi-synthetic route can cause problems with film breakdown due to shear loads on older wider-tolerance engines.

What? That doesn't even make any sense. If you're talking about bearings, viscosity needs will be determined by surface finish and clearances amoung other variables. A quick run through the bearing design equations will make this obvious.

I'll let all the guy's a COMP CAMS, Crane, and Crower know that their engine parts and guy's they build engines with must also be POS. Gee they must of got it wrong after all those years of building engine parts.

I can only go by what I have been told from them in emails when asking the question what oils do you get the best results with.

"We have found typically we get the best results with oils that end in a 50w"

This all comes back to my original question that I cant get my head around.

You guy's mock 20w 50's to the ground, BUT guy's like Crane, Comp and Crower, only to list a hand full I have asked and been told. 20w 50s are what they Recommend.

I can't understand how so many people here will say to run oils like a 5w 30 Full Syn oil in an 1970's - 80s Chev V8's.

This is either ends of the scale here. Some ones got it massively wrong.

Back in the 70- 80's guy's were all running 20w 50's from new, now your telling me if an engine is using that grade it must be a POS.

What you "technically" have to run is not always what's best.

IF you don't know that then that's your problem not mine. I can only go by what I have been advised by many major engine companies, not what the EPA or sponsor ship has told the marketing department to print.

Quote:

I can't understand how so many people here will say to run oils like a 5w 30 Full Syn oil in an 1970's - 80s Chev V8's.

Most of the more knowledgeable guys here won't make a blanket recommendation like that without asking a few questions first.

Quote:

Back in the 70- 80's guy's were all running 20w 50's from new, now your telling me if an engine is using that grade it must be a POS.

No they weren't. I was there. Smart people used the appropriate grade for the application at hand, even back then.

Quote:

IF you don't know that then that's your problem not mine. I can only go by what I have been advised by many major engine companies, not what the EPA or sponsor ship has told the marketing department to print.

So there you have it. You made up an answer, and now you can't defend it with references.

Quote:

Quote:

Most of the more knowledgeable guys here won't make a blanket recommendation like that without asking a few questions first.

Quote:

No they weren't. I was there. Smart people used the appropriate grade for the application at hand, even back then.

offtopic.gif

Quote:

Quote:

So there you have it. You made up an answer, and now you can't defend it with references.

What?

OK:

#1 I have spent 5 years speaking with engine builders from all over the world. From NASCAR - V8 SUPERCAR and SPEEDWAY.

#2 I have spoken extensive with the head tech guy's from all the major oil companies in Australia, not just one or one person

#3 I have only ever made reference to 70-80's style V8 engines not EVERY engine, so I don't believe I have made a blanket recommendation like that without asking a few questions first.

#4 YOU said any engine that runs a 20w 50 is a POS and your thoughts that my comment relating to the oils used in the 70-80's. Well I was making a general comment about the high sales of 20w 50's in that era and how they were used more extensive. These engines that were new and using 20w 50s' had no problems,

#5 I have only shard what I have been told. I have been very detailed to make sure I was not professing to know or derogative towards any one persons thoughts. (unlike yourself)

I can see why some people here have not bothered to get in to deep discussions with you, as no matter what your right and unless it's there in direct day light printed in big bold letters in every hand book there's no way it could be right.

If that's your view to engine oils then why come here asking questions and looking to learn. If every engine manual or broacher you read must be right or you don't want to see out side the square there's not much else for you here.

I don't want to start a war, but your POS comment does not sit right with me when your suggesting that major companies like Competition Cams are Wrong!

I have posted links, so have others that show these companies suggesting 20w 50's I'm not going to bother listing them again.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What?

Quote:

OK:

#1 I have spent 5 years speaking with engine builders from all over the world. From NASCAR - V8 SUPERCAR and SPEEDWAY.

That's considered "heresay" and thus is not valid evidence.

Quote:

#2 I have spoken extensive with the head tech guy's from all the major oil companies in Australia, not just one or one person.

So what? Unless we know the details of the questions asked and the replies in context, you can repeat this until you're blue in the face.

Quote:

#3 I have only ever made reference to 70-80's style V8 engines not EVERY engine, so I don't believe I have made a blanket recommendation like that without asking a few questions first.

The 'style' isn't the determining factor here. You can take a BBC, use modern materials, machined to tighter clearances/tolerances with much improved surface finishes, and add rollerized components throughout the valvetrain and other areas and the viscosity needs are changed significantly.

Quote:

#4 YOU said any engine that runs a 20w 50 is a POS and your thoughts that my comment relating to the oils used in the 70-80's. Well I was making a general comment about the high sales of 20w 50's in that era and how they were used more extensive. These engines that were new and using 20w 50s' had no problems.

As mention way earlier in this thread, that is such a general comment as to almost certainly be wrong in some situations. Anybody trying to run 20w50 in their street BBC during a Chicago winter in the 70's, didn't do it for long. And yes, if today you buy a brand new shiny street BBC and it's machined with the clearances/tolerances/surfaces of 70's rebuilt, it's a POS.

Quote:

#5 I have only shard what I have been told. I have been very detailed to make sure I was not professing to know or derogative towards any one persons thoughts. (unlike yourself)

I can see why some people here have not bothered to get in to deep discussions with you, as no matter what your right and unless it's there in direct day light printed in big bold letters in every hand book there's no way it could be right.

Sorry...but the problem I have is that people like you come around every so often and profess that they have it all figured out. In your case, you profess 'engine style' determines basestock/viscosity requirements. All my engineering, racing, and mechanic wretching education and experience tells me you're flat out wrong. There's many more variables to consider than just 'engine style'.

Quote:

If that's your view to engine oils then why come here asking questions and looking to learn. If every engine manual or broacher you read must be right or you don't want to see out side the square there's not much else for you here.

No. It's more like you need to take a reading comprehesion class. Let's take one of your links:

Use of Synthetic Oils
Crower does not recommend the use of synthetic motor oils in any racing applications, particularly hydraulic and flat tappet camshafts. The minimum gains in horsepower are offset by the excessive wear to cam and lifter surfaces. Crower recommends Kendall GT-1 (20W50) Petroleum based motor oil in all high performance applications. If your manual suggests running synthetic oil, then do so. We have found, however, that the benefits do not outweigh the costs.

Note, first it says "racing applications", Second it says "hydraulic and flat tappet camshafts". Third it say "If your manual suggests running synthetic oil, then do so"

So in summary, it says "don't use synthetics in a racing engine with flat tappets unless your builder tells you to, but we recommend Kendall GT-1 (20W50) Petroleum based motor oil". That's quite a bit different then saying all "V8 type engines should use 20w50 mineral for all applications".

Quote:

I don't want to start a war, but your POS comment does not sit right with me when your suggesting that major companies like Competition Cams are Wrong!

I didn't say they were always wrong. I'm saying that when YOU take things out of context, YOU'RE wrong.

Quote:

Thanks for that link.

It's just one of the many I have found by major companies making reference to the same thing I've stood by that and will continue to do.

Heres another: http://www.crower.com/misc/faq.shtml#h
(Last paragraph)

Let's take another look at this link. It says "For additional information click here. "

Follow that link, and you end up at a 'Antique Tractor' website. Further, here's their disclaimer:

Any information you may receive related to this web site is provided merely as friendly suggestions, not as expert opinion, testimony or advice.

Wow, that should instill some confidence in Crower's expertise in Tribology.
laugh.gif

Well, unless Aussies are perpetually driving @ WOT and everyone is hopping up their stock hp to ultra high per ...

somehow our domestic stock survives the "thin is in" revolution.

The image I keep getting from Austrailia is that everyone took Road Warrior way too seriously. I'm kidding, naturally, but somehow, just being on the bottom hemisphere appears to alter physics a bit.

But- most of the weekend racers that I know ..many in the 800-1000 hp range do use a 25w-50. Some of the milder engines do get a 40 weight synth.

Naturaly, anyone really using these engine are tearing them down every 2 - 3 racing seasons anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back