Oil study observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
What we found was the engines that showed the most or largest wear numbers were the ones we would switch from brand to brand of oil. The lowest wear seemed to be from the engines that stuck with one brand of oil for the life of the vehicle running either Dino or synthetic oil sticking with one brand no matter what brand of oil it was.

There is a phenomenon called "change in texture". This is a term loosely used in the transmission industry that describes transmission failure due to a delay in changing transmission fluid until long after it's service life. When transmission fluid is allowed to remain in use for 60, 70, 80,000+ miles, then changed, the "change in texture" to the new fluid can (and usually does) cause transmission failure of some sort. This may be what's happening with the use of different oils. Different formulations causing a "change in texture" regularly and repeatedly.

Just a hunch. My 2 cents.

I'll buy you a steak dinner at Ruth's Chris if you can point to one technical paper that documents "change in texture".

Originally Posted By: RamAir5
There is a phenomenon called "change in texture". This is a term loosely used in the transmission industry that describes transmission failure due to a delay in changing transmission fluid until long after it's service life. When transmission fluid is allowed to remain in use for 60, 70, 80,000+ miles, then changed, the "change in texture" to the new fluid can (and usually does) cause transmission failure of some sort. This may be what's happening with the use of different oils. Different formulations causing a "change in texture" regularly and repeatedly.

Just a hunch. My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back