Oil study observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get well soon!

I would guess the construction company buys 2 or 3 different grades of Mobil conventional in order to meet mfrs specs. While conventional and synthetic yield similar wear, would synthetic not keep engine internals cleaner?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Basically....

Use any brand oil, change at necessary intervals and there is nothing to worry about.

grin.gif

Motor oil is motor oil

Originally Posted By: Camprunner

I would like nothing more then to get you all more info on this subject unfortunately last week I was diagnosed with cancer and I will be going under the knife real soon then treatment

Oh my.... You'll be in my Prayers.

Hang in there!!
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
What we found was the engines that showed the most or largest wear numbers were the ones we would switch from brand to brand of oil.

I found this to be the most interesting. There is something to this. I'v read several articles about the negatives of switching brands and mixing oils. Ideally I try to stay with one brand, but that can be difficult when you like to test other brands.

I don't not like mixing different brands together though.

The lowest wear seemed to be from the engines that stuck with one brand of oil for the life of the vehicle running either Dino or synthetic oil sticking with one brand

What makes this really interesting,is that I've heard to do this as long as I've been driving. Maybe it's one of those myths that's true?

Just because oils are compatible, doesn't mean you should start blending your own version. IMO. Stay within the same brand if you're going to do that. It's common sense.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The lowest wear seemed to be from the engines that stuck with one brand of oil for the life of the vehicle running either Dino or synthetic oil sticking with one brand

What makes this really interesting,is that I've heard to do this as long as I've been driving. Maybe it's one of those myths that's true?

When I started driving I was taught the same way.I stuck with PYB for conventional oil and Mobil 1 10W30 for synthetic for a lot of years. I've gone full circle and plan [at least I hope] to stick with the same brands.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Basically....

Use any brand oil, change at necessary intervals and there is nothing to worry about.

this.

I doubt sticking to one brand produces better results, that just doesn't seem logical to me, its like saying you will have a build up of some magical additives over time because the so called chemistry is the same...Oil companies change their formulas regularly enough for that theory to not hold up.

Don't forget the premise is that you get more wear when changing brands not "no wear when not changing brands". A change in formula may result in more wear when compared to previous but overall less wear when compared to change in brands.

If i read this right, the study was based completely on uoas. I'm under the impression that unless you do a teardown, you really don't know how much wear is on an engine. Comparing uoa's is not a valid measure of comparing wear from one brand to another. You can judge how the oil holds up.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
How was engine wear measured?

Was explained in the first paragraph...

Oh, ok. I guess there are 2 paragraphs there. Wear as measured by UOA? Is that valid?

Was thinking through that the other day, as there's a position that a friend is looking at which involves a number of heavy equipments in quarries, dump trucks, cement trucks etc., and the position requires the business to be run cost effectively.

I advised to use UOA judiciously to identify firstly mechanical problems, and secondly for lubricant life/gross unsuitability, and from that to choose a bulk product (Delvac 1630??) that met the goals.

Wear as measured by UOA? Is that valid?

Yes, for normal wear with small particles that are measured by UOA. Abnormal/catastrophic wear with large particles will be missed by UOA. Then you look for particles in the oil filter. Capish?

I thought this was interesting and I just thought I would share.

Thanks for sharing. It makes a lot of sense. We do know that change of brands can produce oil consumption that takes a couple of OCI to go away. So, oil brand change can have some mechanical impacts for sure.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Interesting.

I'd like to see the charts, p-values, etc.

See if you can get them & post please.

I would like nothing more then to get you all more info on this subject unfortunately last week I was diagnosed with cancer and I will be going under the knife real soon then treatment so I will be quite tied up. I am sorry I could not get you all more info. This forum as well as others will keep me busy while I am recovering.

Positive vibes, beat this thing!

Initial post seems to support the theory that changing oils may strip off additives from the previous oil....additional cleaning from that, so the engine stays sludge free, but additional wear since there are less additives for a time.

Until the data is seen it is all conjecture; however I tend to believe the fleet manager...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Wear as measured by UOA? Is that valid?

Yes, for normal wear with small particles that are measured by UOA. Abnormal/catastrophic wear with large particles will be missed by UOA. Then you look for particles in the oil filter. Capish?

Are you trying to say the Italian word "capice"?

I am in sales (office equip.) and one of my long term customers is a good size construction company. Last week I was talking with there GM and being an oil nut like so many of you here making small talk I asked what oil do you run in your fleet of construction trucks, dump truck, dozers, loaders, and the many pick up trucks you use? He replied its funny you should ask as we just finished a rather long intense study of oil and engine wear based off of some 50+ Different types of vehicles running a variety of different oils at different lengths. This study took us several years and cost us quite a bit of money in UOA tests and what we found was it did not matter what you ran for oil as long as it met the manufacture specifications. Running Dino oil or synthetic did not seem to show much difference what did seem to make a difference in wear numbers that was clear was we had 12 vehicles of different types that we just used one brand of oil the entire test meaning we would pick an oil for an engine and stick with it for that engine for the test length. What we found was the engines that showed the most or largest wear numbers were the ones we would switch from brand to brand of oil. The lowest wear seemed to be from the engines that stuck with one brand of oil for the life of the vehicle running either Dino or synthetic oil sticking with one brand no matter what brand of oil it was. Anyway the end result we picked an oil distributor that had oil that met all our needs for gas and diesel that met our engine specifications and we get the best price and just buy in bulk and stick with one brand. Right now that happens to be Mobil oil all in conventional.

I thought this was interesting and I just thought I would share.
Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Prayers sent for a speedy and complete recovery!

I just went through this over the last year. Hopefully, you have a good wife to help you through this. Keep a good attitude and don't take your anger out on your wife. This will be difficult on her too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back