Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for recommendations on oil for my two trucks. I run WIX filters.

2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L 45k 40miles round trip daily driving(Rotating Shift Work)
2008 GMC Yukon 5.3L 85k 20miles round trip daily driving(M-F)

Should I start running high mileage oil in the Yukon?

I currently run the conventional Pennzoil 5w30, WHY? not sure just always have.

Im considering switching to Synthetic Royal Purple, not for any real reason other that Ive heard it's good oil and made in TX.

Neither trucks tow often, and are driven easy.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I would continue using what you're using. PYB 5W30 is a great oil. I used to have a '03 Silverado and used Quaker State conventional 5W30 for 5,000 mile intervals.

I Currently change the oil when the OLM reads around 25%, but I do plan on having some UOA done to see how things are running. my yukon oil is up next, at about 50% now, Ill probably order one for it at about 35%.

High Milage, you are going to have to tell us a lot more details about the Yukon. Driving habits, city to highway ratio, does it leak or consume, do you have to add oil like I do to my car?

At this point you should continue following the manual; ie change PCV at xxx, change all your fluids (brake, PS, anti-freeze, tranny) the belts and so on.

Royal Purple is good oil and will make you and the yukon happy.

Originally Posted By: 285south
High Milage, you are going to have to tell us a lot more details about the Yukon. Driving habits, city to highway ratio, does it leak or consume, do you have to add oil like I do to my car?

At this point you should continue following the manual; ie change PCV at xxx, change all your fluids (brake, PS, anti-freeze, tranny) the belts and so on.

Royal Purple is good oil and will make you and the yukon happy.

Neither vehicle leaks or burns oil. The yukon is my wife's daily driver, we live a 1/4 mile from the highway, she takes the highway about 8 miles at 65mph then exits for another 1/4mile shot to her job. then reverse coming home. she doesnt accelerate hard( though she is [censored] on brake pads)

my truck is highway for 15 miles then 5 city miles.

PYB and make sure your PCV valve is in good working order ... Wix oil filters and a 5,000 mile OCI with PYB - what's not to like in your situation ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
PYB and make sure your PCV valve is in good working order ... Wix oil filters and a 5,000 mile OCI with PYB - what's not to like in your situation ?

Nothing, both run great, just checking some other opinions. thanks for all the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back