oil overfilled 1/2-1 quart??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when i changed the oil on the Accord i put in the full 5 quarts...The oil registers on the dipstick half way above the fill line. Its a k24 Accord. I drove 30 miles and checked the dipstick and there were a few small bubbles right after shut off, no foam (i think) just some small bubbles. I am about to go on a 8 hour trip. Is this safe? or should i drain some. I dont want to0 if i dont have too. If your familiar with the accord k24 the oil is right where the dipstick twists.

Originally Posted By: dernp
You'll sleep easier if you drain some.

well ill sleep fine as long as its safe to do. anyone know if 1/2-1 quart overfill on honda k24 is safe?

I would drain it to the full line. Why chance something so easy on a long trip?

I am not into that exact engine. But a quart is as i remember almost a liter. And that is way to much. You might not blow your engine but there is a good chance that over short time the excessive oil will go to your catalyst converter and kill that one.

I remember the K24 needs 4.4 or 4.5qt of oil, if you really put in 5 qt, you should be only about 1/2 qt above, but of course due to the way you drain the oil, you may have more old oil in it which caused you to see more than high mark on the dip stick.
If it's only 1/2 qt more, I would leave it there and sleep well.
If it's more than that, say 1 qt, I will drain it.

The dipstick is not very accurate, but reasonably accurate as it got bended differently among different owners/ car... but again if it's way over the top mark change it.
I may just unscrew the filter, drain it and put it back, may be easier to unscrew the drain bolt.
Just my opinion.

There's nothing wrong with sticking to the specification. For my uncle's 2000 accord 2.3, I remember seeing the dip stick constantly more than half an inch higher than the top mark, but his car is still running pretty good, so I don't know.

I'm with the group: Drain it out a bit.

With the way the filters are on my cars, it would be easier for me to just loosen the drain bolt, drain a bit and throw it back on. Might get a little splashy but easier than the filter. Again, on my cars. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID

With the way the filters are on my cars, it would be easier for me to just loosen the drain bolt, drain a bit and throw it back on. Might get a little splashy but easier than the filter. Again, on my cars. YMMV.

Yep, way easier to drain through the sump plug. Just make sure that the oil is nice and cool when you do it, otherwise you'll burn your hands and drop the plug.

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID

\

+1
just to be on the safe side. i would do a good drain so u dont have to play with putting the plug back on and off so around 1 1/2 to 2 qts just to be safe then check and top off with make up oil. I recently had to do the same after my sump was overfilled about a quart. I drained about 1 qt and now Im a little over F but i have brand new seals in.

Half a quart is no big deal IMO. Even if you get a few extra air bubbles, it won't due any harm in a low stress engine and using the high quality Ultra oil. More trouble to drain it than it's worth unless you have a long flexible hose laying around that will slide down the dipstick.

A half a quart is nothing, but the oil capacity of your engine is listed by Honda as 4.2 quarts with filter.
Bubbles on the dipstick are not a good thing, as this may indicate that the crankshaft counterweights are whipping air into the oil.
I'd sleep easier if I drained some out.
Next time, put in four quarts and then top up as needed.

I would drain the half quart, but if you are afraid of draining - spill, mess, ..., etc., just put on a new dry oil filter and save the current one for next time.

Most dipsticks have a indicator for 'overfill' level. Sometimes it's a notch, hole or unlabeled line. Some use the top or bottom of the twist. Those with plastic ends may use the top of plastic section or part of the taper. Your owners manual should have some info on this, otherwise the Honda shop manual will.

I'd loosen the drain plug until a small stream is coming out. That will leave a few threads to hold the plug in place while you drain. Take out half a quart and snug it back up. As stated best when cold or a little warm. Measure again and go from there. Some vehicles a few ounces will really send the level up very quick once your over the 'high/full' mark.

I'd like to write more but my cat is playful and meowing like crazy for attention.
(A few minutes later) Okay, petting and all that cat stuff done. I wonder what she'll do next?

The 4cyl 2.4 Accord takes a 4.2 litre oil fill in Canada or 4.4 quarts in the US. It's all in the Accord bible. I am surprised that you don't know that.
Draining the extra oil would be wise.

Meow!!

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd

I'd loosen the drain plug until a small stream is coming out. That will leave a few threads to hold the plug in place while you drain. Take out half a quart and snug it back up. As stated best when cold or a little warm. Measure again and go from there. Some vehicles a few ounces will really send the level up very quick once your over the 'high/full' mark.

This^^^

BTW bubbles in the oil is BAD... You'd be far better off at a quart low than a quart over if it's aerating the oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back