Oil or gun grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a video that shows how to maintain a SIG P226. The man who made the video is a well known competition shooter and professional gunsmith. He recommends that a gun grease be used to lubricate a handgun, except in very cold weather when he says that oil can be used.

I had some problems with gun ramming when I used Breakfree. I decided to use gun grease (TW25B) to lubricate the gun. The gun seems to work pretty good with the grease and the grease stays put. What do all of you think about using gun grease instead of gun oil?

I use gun grease on the slide and rails of my Sig, and oil for the rest. I use the grease mainly because the gun oil always seaps out when I use enough for the slide/rails.

I just use the hoppes oil and cleaners and haven't had any problems. Granted I haven't tried shooting the thing at -30F (dunno if that makes them stiffer, I only shoot at the range), I've never had a problem, and never had a single misfire or jam in more than 1500 rounds through my g23. If there is a reason to switch though I would...?

I am trying to decide whether to stick with grease (TW25B) or go with something like Militec-1 gun oil which is supposed to work really well and make gun cleaning easier. Sometimes I wonder if a guy is just as well off using good old Hoppes to clean the gun and Hoppes gun oil to lubricate the gun. But I will never use Breakfree again-it caused my gun to jam twice.

I have a coated SIG 9 mm. I don't know how well the Militec-1 would work on a coated gun. The grease is available locally and seems to work okay, and it stays put. It is supposed to work well even in the cold. I have now heard from three different gunsmiths that they like to use grease (except maybe in very cold weather). Of course in Iraq something like Militec-1 would probably be better because of all of the dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back