Oil or grease for rust prevention

Hi Friends.
For the outer surfaces of car where it is exposed to dirt, stones and water splashes regularly, rust prevention may require a little more extensive work,
But most of in my case, there are small areas inside (such as door hinge, footwell, at some cable connectors) that i see sign of rust and want to stop the progress.
I used to think motor oil could do the job, but some people stated that motor oils contain some acidic content which may promote the rust.
Can you please make suggestions about what type of oil or grease can i use as an easy solution?
Mineral Oil or Vegetable oil or Lithium grease ?
I prefer oily stuffs instead of paint, because oil is easy to apply everywhere while paint not. Please do not suggest me things that i may buy from e-bay or amazon as i am outside the US and need home-made things :)
Regards.

Get a piece of metal that is akin to rust. Rub some household things on it, sit it outside for a week or so and see what looks the best.

Butter
olive oil
coconut oil
vegetable oil
shortening
used grease

whatever

I've had 80w-140 gear oil cling to metal surfaces the longest by far. Bar and chain oil lasted a while but not as long as I hoped. Everything else I tried including Fluid Film disappeared shortly after being applied. I spray the oil hot using a handheld electric paint sprayer.

Do you have access to Swedish products?

If so, noxudol 300/700.

Last edited:
If they are semi protected areas I have used wheel bearing grease and a small paint brush to apply a very thin coat. If the area is exposed to all the elements and splashing water I use CRC Marine spray rust prevention, I have not found anyting else that will stay put, it drys clear and forms a waxy surface..

I don’t see the acid causing rust, most engines do not have rust issues on the inside. Could the oil be bad for wires or plastic? maybe? certainly rubber I would think.

I think grease is better, less likely to evaporate or wick away. That said, harder to apply. And real messy if you rub up against it.

I would avoid food grade products that will attract insects, rodents, etc.
They sell fish oil in New Zealand for rust prevention. I presumed the name was a euphemism, but while applying it to our van found that it attracted gulls and cats.

But it did seem to be a good product.

Reactions: JTK
I feel most suggestions here environmentally irresponsible. Depositing wheel bearing grease all over the roads can’t be good for water run off. Most greases, like high temp disk brakes wheel bearing grease are harmful to aquatic life as per material safety data sheets. It disappoints me people have such little regard for these sorts of things.

If they are semi protected areas I have used wheel bearing grease and a small paint brush to apply a very thin coat. If the area is exposed to all the elements and splashing water I use CRC Marine spray rust prevention, I have not found anyting else that will stay put, it drys clear and forms a waxy surface..
CRC works great. Amsoil HD works well too, but it leaves a honey colored waxy film.

I feel most suggestions here environmentally irresponsible. Depositing wheel bearing grease all over the roads can’t be good for water run off. Most greases, like high temp disk brakes wheel bearing grease are harmful to aquatic life as per material safety data sheets. It disappoints me people have such little regard for these sorts of things.
You mean I shouldn't burn my waste oil on my bonfires? :ROFLMAO:

I've used Eastwood's aerosol Anti Rust for years and it helps. It does eventually go away in areas where direct spray is involved, but on other areas it lasts. Try it

Back