Oil level is 1 inch above the Full dot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pans have the capacity for an extra quart, some don't. You'll wind up with the crank slapping the oil before seal leakage. The seals only start blowing out when the oil level is above them consistently.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: ammolab

Let us know when your rear main seal starts to leak REAL BAD!

I'll let you know when that starts happening on my Vette, but you'll be waiting a while, because after 7 years and almost 100k of overfilling the engine by one quart, it's not caused any problems.

Yep, it's unlikely to cause much.

In the old daze at the road course we routinely overfilled our cars a bit to compensate for oil sloshing around in corners.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's my opinion that oil pans don't have enough capacity on some cars. I'm thinking all cars should have at least a 6 quart capacity for oil minimum. Some of these cars running around with 4 quart oil pans and going 5k OCI's is really pushing it.

4-5qt ha.. 2001 hyundai accent with 3qt pan..
oil change with filter was under 3.5qts.. thats absurd..

to the OP 1/2" is ok. dont OCD about it..(IMO)

next time add the capacity in the manual -.5qt
then drive it for abit.. off ramps etc.. fill up the oil filter .. then check it after 2-3min and finish topping off

Last edited:
I always put in what the manual says. I only use the dipstick to check the oil level in the morning. I put 4.5 quarts in my 1999 Buick Century and 3.9 quarts in my mom's 2010 Honda Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back