Oil for Toyota MR2 4AGE, 240K+ miles ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New-to-me car, I tend to put a LOT of miles on cars. The Subaru has been running Motul and Elf in the last 50K miles (took under 12 months!) and I have really liked it, even "fixed" a small front main seal leak after about 10K miles of use.

The MR2 is a 1988 model with the 1.6L DOHC 4-cyl 4AGE, non-supercharged. 60 miles daily commute, mixed traffic. Will be autocrossed semi-regularly. Climate is warm in SoCal, but we might be moving to Texas in the summertime.

I put 10w-30 Valvoline Max Life blend and a Bosch filter for a few hundred miles, then snapped the timing belt. Replaced belt and tensioner and everything has been okay since (non-interference type). I ran some engine flush (don't kill me, Motul brand) and then have been running Motorcraft Blend 10w-30 and ST filter with about 4oz of the LubroMoly MoS2 additive just for fun. I will drain that shortly after a relatively short OCI, and then go for my permanent fill.......and do UOA's of course.

Any suggestions for this permanent choice? The manual recommends a wiiiiide range of oils for my temperatures, SH-rated. There is a little bit of valve tick currently with the 30-wt, but I am not afraid to go higher or lower, but better fuel economy and power would be nice.

Video of an autocross just after replacing the timing belt here--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT5XmTn0B5U

Cheers,

JW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back