Oil for Tecumseh powered snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very very old 4 stroke Tecumseh powered Snowbird brand blower. Its a two stage model.

My question is what oils are good for this in an Iowa winter. It does not have electric start, which sucks for me, but it was free. So I was thinking a nice 10w-30 synthetic would be best.

Last edited:
If it's the 5HP one like my old one, use 5-30. You want that lower viscosity on the cold starts...
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah this one can be a pain to pull start. I had to rebuild the carb yesterday. Today I want to run it and get it hot and flush out the oil.

I think I have a bottle of old SL Mobil 5w30 kicking around.

I agree with the above recommendations. I use Mobile 1 5W30 synthetic in my snow thrower. Not the same engine. Mine's an 11 h.p. B&S. Pull starting is a breeze with the synthetic. Usually fires up on the first pull.

As long as it's indexing remains stable and the 5 weight aspect isn't compromised, can't see why it would'n work.

I ran M1 in my 5hp Tecumseh in John Deere green. They didn't recommend multi-visc's back in 1995. If I were going to get enough hours out of it in a season I'd probably use ACD or HDD in it.

Well I ended up using some SL rated Mobil 1 5w30 I had laying around. Started well today, but we shall see when it gets cold.

I put 5w20 in mine. I figure that oil really never really gets up to a sustained 100c. When there is snow on the ground.

Originally Posted By: wapacz
I put 5w20 in mine. I figure that oil really never really gets up to a sustained 100c. When there is snow on the ground.

But, you should also count on the fact that if that is true, the people who designed the engine also know that and yet specified what they did.

I contend that snowthrowers are the hardest working OPE out there, at least in any locales that see wet, heavy snow and salty end-of-driveway mounds from the plow. People want to get their driveways cleared as quickly as possible and ram these things into the snow until they almost stall with the throttle wide open. I don't see this much from lawn mowers, power washers, line trimmers, blowers, generators, water pumps etc... many of which have "designed" loads (pumps can only pump so fast, generators have a maximum output) which only load the attached engine to, say, 70-80%.

I want as heavy protection in there as I can get which isn't "too thick" at startup. GC is almost a 40 weight @100C and has high HTHS but still earns a 0W cold rating. I think this would work well even in very cold climates. In my specific climate, it's usually "warmer" if there's snow heavy enough for the thrower so I could probably even get away with a syn 5W40.

I've read that Tecumseh's are more sensitive to oil level than the competition and have been severely damaged by being "a little low" or spending too much time tipping back riding up into snowbanks or EOD.

At any rate, in a nutshell, I wouldn't recommend that the general public go thinner than the manual says for the above reasons. You may not notice effects right away, but I wouldn't take the chance. I certainly wouldn't feel that I was doing the machine a "favour" by going lighter, especially in a Tec.

The engines on snowblowers are shrouded to keep heat in the engine.
While the crankcase is exposed to the weather, the engine itself runs fairly hot.
5W-20 is a bit thin IMHO.
I use 0W-30.

The reason for the shroud/cowling is to keep the carb warm. Otherwise, it will build up condensation and freeze. That's why they don't have air cleaners and they're classified as snow engines.

I ran a couple 10 h.p. Tecumseh L head engines in two different snow throwers for twenty years. Use proper viscosity oil (Synthetic preferred in cold conditions) and make sure you keep the level topped up. As previously mentioned, Tecumseh L heads self destruct if the oil level drops. Keep them properly oiled and they'll last longer than the machine they are on. At least they did on the two Craftsman machines I had owned.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: wapacz

But, you should also count on the fact that if that is true, the people who designed the engine also know that and yet specified what they did.

I contend that snowthrowers are the hardest working OPE out there, at least in any locales that see wet, heavy snow and salty end-of-driveway mounds from the plow. People want to get their driveways cleared as quickly as possible and ram these things into the snow until they almost stall with the throttle wide open. I don't see this much from lawn mowers, power washers, line trimmers, blowers, generators, water pumps etc... many of which have "designed" loads (pumps can only pump so fast, generators have a maximum output) which only load the attached engine to, say, 70-80%.

I want as heavy protection in there as I can get which isn't "too thick" at startup. GC is almost a 40 weight @100C and has high HTHS but still earns a 0W cold rating. I think this would work well even in very cold climates. In my specific climate, it's usually "warmer" if there's snow heavy enough for the thrower so I could probably even get away with a syn 5W40.

I've read that Tecumseh's are more sensitive to oil level than the competition and have been severely damaged by being "a little low" or spending too much time tipping back riding up into snowbanks or EOD.

At any rate, in a nutshell, I wouldn't recommend that the general public go thinner than the manual says for the above reasons. You may not notice effects right away, but I wouldn't take the chance. I certainly wouldn't feel that I was doing the machine a "favour" by going lighter, especially in a Tec.

Did they even have 20 weights readily available in the late 80s to early 90s.

I just have a hard time seeing that the oil is kept at 100c through out the engine. On top of that does a current 5w20 synthetic have a higher htts than a 5w30 did back in 1990.

The owner's manual for my 1976 ariens with a 7 hp tecumseh (still original engine) calls for 5W-30 below 40 degrees F. Ive been using Shell Rotella T 5W-40 in it for several years now. Michigan winter's are brutal. On another note, i use the same oil in both my John Deere garden tractor's (214,216) with the old cast iron kohler engine's year round with no issue's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back