Oil for Stand-by Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: jkasch
It's powered by a natural gas

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Next thing to do is add a fuel filter if there isn't one or change it to a larger one, and put something in the gas to stabilize it.

ice_cube_wtf.gif

....a fuel filter for natural gas, naturally.

You could try this.

I did it for my gen set and it's the kind you can open up to examine. From what I see it picking up I think it's a good idea.

And as far as the fuel, my natural gas gen set has an automotive gas backup system that is not often exercised so I use a stabilizer. I just thought that maybe that was part of making the system more reliable.

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
We all fail to read into the details. No biggie there. A robust oil like Rotella T5 10W-30 (synthetic blend) would be acceptable even in the cold of Michigan while minimizing oil blowing past the seals. The engine has a starter so it's not like you have to go out and pull start it. 10 weight cold still has a flow point beyond -30 so it isn't a big deal.

If you want to stick to full synthetic, the Rotella T6 5W-40 would also be fine. There may be a little more usage of natural gas, but really... who is counting when it's cold and you need reliable electricity?

This is the best answer.

Changing yearly if it hasn't run other than the self test is dumb though. Change it based on hours run not time in sump. The oil can't tell time. It just doesn't suddenly not become serviceable because a clock ticked by. That's absurd.
Since its natural gas fuel dilution is a non issue as well as carbon.
Aren't there specific oils for natural gas?
If changing yearly and it hasn't run for any length of time I'd use the cheapest hdeo I could find.

A good friend is a Generac tech and uses only M1 5-30 in all his PM service fills.

Last edited:
Do the CATERHAM Blend of (50/50) M1 Euro 0W-40 and M1 EP 0w-20 PLUS 2 ounces of Liqui Moly Cera Tec

Tell us!!

SAE Grade 0W-20
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 8.6
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 44.9
Viscosity Index 173
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 0.8
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 2.7
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -54
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 235
Density @ 15.6ºC g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.839

Mobil 1 0W-40
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 40ºC 75
@ 100ºC 13.5
Viscosity Index 185
MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) 31,000
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.8
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 11.8
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.3
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981) 0.1
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 230
Density @ 15.6ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85

CATERHAM Blend
@ 40ºC 60
@ 100ºC 11
Viscosity Index 179
HTHS Viscosity 3.25

Originally Posted By: jkasch
Thanks for the inputs. Having just re-read the manual, it says I have to use their oil and filters so as to not void the warranty. While it probably won't hold up in court, I'm thinking it may not worth the hassle to try to pick my own.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1974, if you MUST use manufacturer parts/fluids to keep the warranty inforce; they must be provided to the consumer free of charge for the life of the warranty. Normally, they will say something to the effect of "we strongly recommend the use of XXX oil and filters or any oil the meets API standard SX at the recommended viscosity on the accompanying chart".

Most of the disposable things we buy these days quit 1 month after the warranty expires anyway, so why worry about it.

Use a good HDEO (Rotella, Delo, etc.) and quit worrying about the little things in life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back