Oil for a known fuel diluter - 5w30 Ford 2.0 ecoboost

It was always go to oil in that category. It has MB229.52 approval.
Euro L is much older oil. In ESP you are getting latest additive pack etc. Also, M1 always used in ESP best base stocks they have.
Im wodnering if its worth the extra 12$. I get it, 12$ more an OCI... but over hte life of the car, I guess really it doesnt end up being much more.

Are you saying to get the PP Euro L just based on a cost to benefit ratio, and with it being affordable... or is it something that you like for a certain reason versus what edyvw recommended ( the M1 ESP )
Not really. They’re both good oils, but ESP will be more difficult to source, and no real benefit over the Euro L at sensible OCIs. The Euro L 5w30 is at the very top of the grade in viscosity and will offset some dilution without dropping into the 20 grade window. But yes, Euro L will be cheaper as well.

I just re-checked the on-line pricing and its still valid. I have been purchasing Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 on-line (not to mention names just search you will see it) $27.97 plus tax, for a 5 qts jug to the door easy. Less 5% if you have a store card. A major retailer is the same as they source a great deal of items from them (I know because their name has been on more than one item I had shipped to me). Other sources are all over the place cost wise. The I see the Euro as cheap as $26.44. Get the 5 quart or more for the best deal. Dont bother with the quarts or keep a old one and refill it with the larger one if you like the 1 qt handiness. Keep an eye out for deals and rebates. Use whatever oil you belive is the best choice and then try another and settle on just one. Stay with it as much as is reasonable to keep this one crankie vehicle happy. Just remember a piece of equipment in Hawaii and one in Vermont may benifit from slightly different cold and hot flow rates.
No they wont test for oil quality if you have a failure and they will not be able to prove anything because the oil left in the crankcase after a falure will more than likely be untestable for numerous reasons. They may ask for receipts but that is doubtful. More the frequency of OCI. so keep records of some sort in your glove box.

Sounds like it hasn't been a fuel diluter before and with driving being mostly highway, that should alleviate a good amount of dilution. Better make sure something isn't wrong, like a bad injector (?).
or a bad HPFP. Warning folks, especially with top-mounted, cam-driven piston pumps. once the seals go bad, they drop fuel into the crankcase and kills your engine.

Considering that fuel contamination is primarily just a simple dilution of a higher viscosity fluid by one of a lower viscosity, I can’t see how that’s possible. I’d suggest you’re just seeing varying amounts due to climate, driving conditions or sampling parameters, or the particular UOA provider having difficulty making an accurate determination.
But does not the VM loading come into play? I recall a discussion where base oil viscosity was a major factor in HTHS of a fuel diluted lubricant. Maybe just speculation.

I too have had a similar experience of "perceived robustness" with a low VM 10W30 in my signature vehicle.

Would love lab confirmation, though I don't think a simple KV100 test of a
"treated and heated" VOA sample would satisfy.
I do not really reading and discussions where labs performed HTHS at a reasonable cost.

- Ken

I just re-checked the on-line pricing and its still valid. I have been purchasing Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 on-line (not to mention names just search you will see it) $27.97 plus tax, for a 5 qts jug to the door easy. Less 5% if you have a store card. A major retailer is the same as they source a great deal of items from them (I know because their name has been on more than one item I had shipped to me). Other sources are all over the place cost wise. The I see the Euro as cheap as $26.44. Get the 5 quart or more for the best deal. Dont bother with the quarts or keep a old one and refill it with the larger one if you like the 1 qt handiness. Keep an eye out for deals and rebates. Use whatever oil you belive is the best choice and then try another and settle on just one. Stay with it as much as is reasonable to keep this one crankie vehicle happy. Just remember a piece of equipment in Hawaii and one in Vermont may benifit from slightly different cold and hot flow rates.
No they wont test for oil quality if you have a failure and they will not be able to prove anything because the oil left in the crankcase after a falure will more than likely be untestable for numerous reasons. They may ask for receipts but that is doubtful. More the frequency of OCI. so keep records of some sort in your glove box.
link https://www.amazon.com/mobil-1-esp-5w30/s?k=mobil+1+esp+5w30

I see someone recommended SN rated oil on an ecoboost engine. That is ignorant and funny at the same time especially the justifications for why you should be using it. Do yourself a favor and abstain from ever putting anything less than SN+ in any Ecoboost.

My wife's car is a fuel diluter too and gets lots of short trips.
What I do is change the oil in the winter, only run up 3,000 to 4,500 miles on a recommend 7,000 mile oil change.
It ain't 7,000 mile oil if the oil is 5% fuel content at less than 4,000 miles.
So I fill the oil to just past the low mark then add abou a quart of 20w-50 oil a few ounces at a time over the life of that oil change. That keep the viscosity up even with a few percent fuel in the oil.

I see someone recommended SN rated oil on an ecoboost engine. That is ignorant and funny at the same time especially the justifications for why you should be using it. Do yourself a favor and abstain from ever putting anything less than SN+ in any Ecoboost.
Why not? The 2015 Ford Edge 2.0 specified Ford WSS-M2-946A or SN. There is a link provided in an earlier comment.

Those are just links to Amazon searches. Best price per quart is about $10, no availability on five quart jugs.
I just ordered 2 more 5 qt jugs to replace stock still $27.97 to my eyes.. Unless differant states have differant Amazon products. Look down furthur it has to be there. No joke!

Attachments

• thumbnail_image0.jpg
    thumbnail_image0.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 13
Back