Oil for a known fuel diluter - 5w30 Ford 2.0 ecoboost

IMO Stay with mobil 1 EP 5w30 Change every 5000. Add lubromoly injector cleaner. Berryman, or Techtron to your fuel every oil change. be sure your crankcase ventilation system is working properly. Use the proper octane fuel that the engine requires. To low an octane will increase cylinder peak pressures and add to oil dilution. If you have gas /oil dilution your level should rise some at first and then may start using oil as it gets more and more contaminated. Are you using oil at any point during the OCI? If not and your oil level is consistant, it probably isnt a deep concern however these engine do get a work-out.
Here is the link to fords site. To simplify it calls for 0w30 or 5w30 oils API SP Including the WSS-M2C961-A1. Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP meets these specifications and is one of the newest ratings for oil.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro L is a perfect match for what you need, and is very reasonably priced.
Be careful whats recommended. this oil does not meet the SP rating. Its only SN rated and will void your warrantee on the 2.0 eco. Please, Look here.

The wally world site. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-L-Full-Synthetic-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5-Quart/495194903

And the pennzoil site. https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...WRhcHAuc3RhdGljL2luZGV4Lmh0bWw_bGFuZz1lbi1VUw

They both agree SN rated oil. Mobil 1 esp 27 and change at wally world.

I have been using the valvoline EP for the last two to three OCIs.

How much does a euro oil differ from an EP oil such as M1, Valvoline etc? Protection wise I should say. I can see the paranoia about the calcium getting into the cat of the engine burns oil and that is a legit concern, even tho her motor doesn’t
Depends on approvals. Euro L or Mobil1 ESP 5W30 (it would be my choice) are higher HTHS oil with minimum HTHS of 3.5cP (compared to around 3 in EP). They are borderline 5W40 oils.
European approvals are MUCH more stringent than API, wear wise, deposit, evaporation loss etc.
For example Pennzoil Euro L has HTHS around 3.6. Mobil1 0W40 has HTHS 3.6. You are basically buying 30 grade with HTHS (which is WHAT matters for protection ) of 40 grade oil.
I would still go Mobil1 ESP 5W30 bcs. you need API SP for warranty and that oil is IMO better than Euro L. Both have Mercedes MB229.51 approval (ESP has MB229.52 too) and generally MB approvals are comprehensively most stringent in industry.

My wife’s engine seems to now be adding fuel to the oil. Not sure if it’s the age/mileage on it or what. It has maybe 80k on it and is driven mostly highway. But the last drain smelled like fuel somewhat, so I’m guessing it’s getting in there. It’s a DI engine but never really noticed this before. It’s under warranty still so we follow the OLM but I’m thinking of doing it sooner going forward.

Is there an oil that is better at handling fuel dilution than any of the other run of the mill brands?
I have an oil diluting. D.I 2.0 litre N.A. Ford.

I run 10w30 QS FS Spring thru Summer. Had been running 5w20 in the Winter. I may run 5W30 this season
I put on less than 3k miles from early Spring thru late Fall. Lots of short trips. Engine is noisy and raps when the oil get diluted.
- Ken

Depends on approvals. Euro L or Mobil1 ESP 5W30 (it would be my choice) are higher HTHS oil with minimum HTHS of 3.5cP (compared to around 3 in EP). They are borderline 5W40 oils.
European approvals are MUCH more stringent than API, wear wise, deposit, evaporation loss etc.
For example Pennzoil Euro L has HTHS around 3.6. Mobil1 0W40 has HTHS 3.6. You are basically buying 30 grade with HTHS (which is WHAT matters for protection ) of 40 grade oil.
I would still go Mobil1 ESP 5W30 bcs. you need API SP for warranty and that oil is IMO better than Euro L. Both have Mercedes MB229.51 approval (ESP has MB229.52 too) and generally MB approvals are comprehensively most stringent in industry.
Thank you. You are correct about M1. I owned a 2006 Sprinter 5 bucket diesel and ran the 0w40 euro formula for years. it was Benz approved ran great. Stayed clean the longest. The API rating is where its at higher rating are backward compatable (SP insead of SL for instance. I run other oil in other engines like kirkland (warren product) without issue. Some engine just need a tickle of extra attention for whatever the reason. M1 ESP saved the day for me on a tired Subie is all I know.

Thank you. You are correct about M1. I owned a 2006 Sprinter 5 bucket diesel and ran the 0w40 euro formula for years. it was Benz approved ran great. Stayed clean the longest. The API rating is where its at higher rating are backward compatable (SP insead of SL for instance. I run other oil in other engines like kirkland (warren product) without issue. Some engine just need a tickle of extra attention for whatever the reason. M1 ESP saved the day for me on a tired Subie is all I know.
When it comes to Euro specs, API is irrelevant. Castrol Edge 0W30 is still API SL and IMO best Euro oil. Phosphorus limits on 30 grade in API SM and later are too low.
As for 0W40, you could use that in 2005 Sprinter. 2009 and later had DPF, so bad idea.

Here is the link to fords site. To simplify it calls for 0w30 or 5w30 oils API SP Including the WSS-M2C961-A1. Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP meets these specifications and is one of the newest ratings for oil.
So what if the oil is WSS-M2C962-A1 (hence the 2)

Does that oud the warranty too or is that just an updated ford spec ( the 1 to a 2 )? Make sense?

Be careful whats recommended. this oil does not meet the SP rating. Its only SN rated and will void your warrantee on the 2.0 eco. Please, Look here.

The wally world site. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-L-Full-Synthetic-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5-Quart/495194903

And the pennzoil site. https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...WRhcHAuc3RhdGljL2luZGV4Lmh0bWw_bGFuZz1lbi1VUw

They both agree SN rated oil. Mobil 1 esp 27 and change at wally world.
The OPs vehicle is a 2015, and API SP was not released until 2020. OPs OM recommends API SN, so be careful on making recommendations based on emotions and not facts. The Euro L meets all recommendations from his vehicle manufacturer. 👍🏻

Last edited:
The OPs vehicle is a 2015, and API SP was not released until 2020. OPs OM recommends API SN, so be careful on making recommendations based on emotions and not facts. The Euro L meets all recommendations from his vehicle manufacturer. 👍🏻

There you go.
I would still go ESP, though Euro L is definitely cheap and just more accessible.

BTW Thank you for your service!

I would second a full synthetic 10w30

I have a car that destroys 5w30 oil in under 2000 miles, 10w30 Platinum withstands the dilution much better than the 0w40 or 5w30 and actually allows a semi reasonable fill duration.

I would second a full synthetic 10w30

I have a car that destroys 5w30 oil in under 2000 miles, 10w30 Platinum withstands the dilution much better than the 0w40 or 5w30 and actually allows a semi reasonable fill duration.
Cant since its under warranty.

Are you saying to get the PP Euro L just based on a cost to benefit ratio, and with it being affordable... or is it something that you like for a certain reason versus what edyvw recommended ( the M1 ESP )

Considering that fuel contamination is primarily just a simple dilution of a higher viscosity fluid by one of a lower viscosity, I can’t see how that’s possible. I’d suggest you’re just seeing varying amounts due to climate, driving conditions or sampling parameters, or the particular UOA provider having difficulty making an accurate determination.

That’s the recommendation for a 2021 Ford Bronco. The OP has a 2015 Ford Edge.

Back