Oil for 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe v6 Knocks When Cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have a start up knock in our 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe v6 3.5 it now has 2100 miles and i am bringing it to the dealer i got it from to change the oil i will bring my own oil because they use bulk 10w30 (cheaper) Should i get Quaker State 5w20 like the manual recommends by name or get pennzoil yb 5w20
I am having them do the oil change because there is the smell of Lemon Law in the air if they don't do something about it..
I have heard other knocking 3.5 engines brand new in the dealer lot (they say thats normal) Its not! And had so far two people come into my engine shop with the same problem... Let me know opinions...Thanks

I use Quaker State Synthetic 5W20 in our Hyundai vehicles. The 3.5 liter engine takes 5.5 U. S. Quarts of oil. Highly recommend that you have the dealer change it and use an OEM filters.

I have the 3.5 liter engine in my Santa Fe and have no issues with it.

You can find 5 Quart Jugs of 5W20 oil at Wal-Mart at a good price.

I have the same vehicle with the same engine. Mine has just over 6000 miles and I use Hyundai filters, I dont think there is an aftermarket one for it now anyway, and Mobil Clean 5w30. I have no knocking whatsoever. The engine is smooth as can be.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I use Quaker State Synthetic 5W20 in our Hyundai vehicles. The 3.5 liter engine takes 5.5 U. S. Quarts of oil. Highly recommend that you have the dealer change it and use an OEM filters.

I have the 3.5 liter engine in my Santa Fe and have no issues with it.

You can find 5 Quart Jugs of 5W20 oil at Wal-Mart at a good price.

And if you have a Pep Boys nearby they're running a $20 rebate on 6 quarts.

What filter? Is it piston slap (common on some engines and no big deal) or a knock due to an oil filter issue (common in some oil filter orientations and makes).

Knocking or ticking?. . .I have the 3.3 in my Santa Fe and it does tick for a few seconds when started cold--it did it with the OEM filters and it does it with the FRAM 9999 that I now use. I've posted before that I believe it is the variable valve timing in these engines that makes the clattering as they come up to pressure, although no Hyundai mechanics have verified this theory. Once the engine has run a few seconds, it's quiet and runs great!. . .all the 3.3s I've heard about have done this without any ill effect. Hope this helps. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back