Oil filter weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've lifted a few filters and found that the better oil filters seem to weigh more than the lower grade filters. The Fram orange can is a lightweight; the Pure1 is slightly heavier; a factory Hyundai filter is heavier; and the K&N is a heavyweight. These are all for the same application. Does anyone believe, in general, that the heavier the oil filter the better the quality?

That is a very interesting thought and I am sure we will get a lot of good replies.

The simple fact that the Fram orange can is basically a cardboard (sorry..engineered media!) inside filter with little media, it would be lighter than other filters with steel endcaps and more media.

Part of it is the housing itself and K&Ns are pretty hefty cans and heavier gauge metal than most I believe. I sort if feel that weight is a gauge of construction, does it affect flow and filtering capability, ????

IMO, there are too many variables to say anything like this. Some filters, for example, have very beefy tapping plates that comprise most of their weight but otherwise they are lackluster filters. I suggest other benchmarks.

We have a Pep Boys Store in Hempstead, NY where I shop from time to time. They had coupon deals where you could get 5 qts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter for $29.99. It is a very common, in fact almost expected now to find a Mobil 1 box has an OCD filter inside. Thieves put the Mobil 1 filter in the OCD box, and score. I can tell as soon as I pick up the Mobil 1 filter box if the filter was switched or not. So far I'm three for three, knowing the filter was switched w/o even opening the box.

I tend to agree with this logic. I usually look to see that a filter has an anti-drainback valve since a few filters still don't. I also check the weight compared to other filters for my application and I give the can a little squeeze to see how strong the can feels. This gives me a general idea if the filter is well constructed. If the filter has no ADBV or the can feels flimsy I usually pass and choose another brand of filter. This definitely doesn't tell me anything about filtration, flow, etc. but it gives me some confidence that I'm not screwing a piece of junk onto my engine. I definitely would rate the OEM Hyundai filters well in terms of construction.

Totally 100% not true. Canister filter elements are some of the most reliable and weigh almost nothing. Remember most oil filters only have to hold 30-50psi. Canisters can be made of plastic or lightweight cast aluminum and last for decades.

Last edited:
Weight can be an indicator, but it can be a misleading one.

The "weight" of a spin-on filter is predicated by many things, not the least of which is the metal can stamping. And because the world is full of options when it comes to TYE (tensil and yield strength) of metal properties, you cannot make an assured assumption that a lighter material is an inferior material. Etc etc etc ...

"Weight" cannot indicate filtration effiency, nor the type of ADBV ...

"Weight" cannot indicate bypass relief pressure, nor type of spring (coil vs leaf; not that I prefer either ...)

"Weight" cannot indicate the number of metal folds in the base/can junction ....

Get the point?

Last edited:
I agree weight doesn't indicate much of anything, but for cusiousity sake I do have a pretty good assortment I'll actually weigh a few tonight just for fun to see what we get.

Okay, I had seven different new filters on hand for my Jeep that were all FL-1A/PH8A equivalents. I weighed them tonight out of curiosity.

Lightest to heaviest:

Fram PH8A OCOD - 12.24 oz
Fram Tough Guard TG8A - 12.56 oz
Puro P1 PL30001 - 14.53 oz
Motorcraft FL-1A - 15.18 oz
Napa Gold/Wix 1515 - 15.43 oz
Fram Extended (Ultra predecessor) 17.21 oz
Baldwin B2 - 17.55 oz

Doesn't prove anything but it is interesting, apparently the fiber vs metal endcaps is worth an ounce or two difference. I always thought the Baldwin felt like it was built like a tank as well and it turned out to be the heaviest of the lot.

Adding to the confusion is companies that build shortened filters. This is more common at quick lubes and independent auto repair places that buy extremely cheap filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back