Oil filter discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i am a twice cash donor and have been briefly banned for expressing my athiest beliefs in a rather crude manner because frankly that is the way i am. on that note, i also realize after running and participating on forums for over two decades that it is the owners prerogative and not a democracy.

Helen, the owner of this chat board, doesn't go for brash and crude iterations with other members. You guys need to know that going in, or you will find yourself in the Virgin Islands "on vacation" now and then ... and maybe even permanently on vacation. Just sayin' ... I've been to the islands a few times myself.
smile.gif

Welcome back. I'll just make a comment or two on the reasoning based strictly on your reporting. If you are consistently using 'thread starters' to "bash" a brand then it is understandable imo. However, I have not noticed thread starters of that type to be your mo.

Otoh as you allude to(or outright state) I haven't noticed banishment for what 'I would consider' consistent "bashing" of some brands both in thread starters and reply posts (frequently off topic) on this board. 'Based on that' I agree that your situation seems incongruous 'to me'. All that said, bottom line I realize not my rodeo. And fwiw I now utilize another forum resource more often, bypassing the boards on some topics.

My advice, if you choose to stick around just be careful now. Sometimes cryptic, vague, or general comments are still effective without being too obvious or considered flaming.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Fram a sponsor here?

Since you asked, afaik not officially. But that doesn't seem to...... and 'may' explain...... I'll leave it at that.
56.gif

My .02

Thanks to all for the support. I should have taken a photo of the ban message and posted it, but after seeing it I had little intention of coming back. It is good to be back though, and rest assured, I will continue to engage in (friendly) discourse with my fellow BITOGers (even Z06.)

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
If people were banned for bashing Royal Purple the membership would be cut in half.

That is so true (about bashing RP.) Maybe that is why I got put in time out. I use RP, MMO and Purolator. That is the trifecta of death with many here on BITOG!

Sure, the moderators ban only those that use certain brands of oil filter ... it's all a conspiracy!
crackmeup2.gif

You said it...not me....
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
And fwiw I now utilize another forum resource more often, bypassing the boards on some topics.

Can you elaborate? Would like to know of other resources.

jk_636, just a matter of time before you slap on an OCOD on your favorite engine. It's inevitable... you will be assimilated
grin.gif

As much as I love me some Ultra and Tough Guard I try to avoid the extra guard if possible. I prefer silicone anti drain back valve filters as well as higher capacity even if I don't need it.

JK, this does seem strange and doesn't make any sense to me. All I have noticed you doing is posting your opinions, advice, etc about motor oil/oil filters/etc like everyone else ... sometimes joking around about it in a good way (like you said, all in good nature).

Anyway, it's good to have you back.
smile.gif

Welcome to the party!

I used to think Z06 was an authority but recently found out he's just another run-of-the-mill fanboy.

I think you say that because you obviously lost the debate. If you would pay attention, I say way less about the Ultra than many guys here ... so why is the target on my back?
grin.gif

But hey, it's always good to stay sharp in these here technical debates.

Kudos, ZeeOSix, for not taking the bait.

Sure, the moderators ban only those that use certain brands of oil filter ... it's all a conspiracy!
crackmeup2.gif

Food for thought: There is a locked post in the oil additive section about Auto-RX. The reasoning was given, but Auto-RX is obviously protected here from the hard bashing. Obviously Fram is somewhat protected also.
Does it have to do with sponsorship or potential sponsorship? I guess the mods would know, although they seem to be mum at the time.

Bait? What bait? If I want to discuss something with Z06 I'll do so directly, just like I've been doing in another thread.

In that thread, I told Z06 directly that I used to read his posts but after becoming more involved it became evident very quickly that he is nothing more than an Ultra fanboy (That has a nice ring to it). He is very transparent and offers nothing more than regurgitated Internet nonsense. That's why he fails to answer direct questions. He keeps things on his topic where he is comfortable. Same reason his buddies 'Memphis and Nate (and you too, I guess) only participate when they feel it's time for a hug, much like you just did, because they have nothing of technical merit to offer other than links.

Z06 is in fact nothing more than another run-of-the-mill member who really likes the Fram Ultra. If he was anything more he would have said it already.

Originally Posted By: rcy

Hey man.. I have a quick question for ya.. I really like my Fram Ultra. It is the very very small 6607. Can I or should I go 12k miles before changing it? Its just so darn small. Thanks
smile.gif

Last edited:
Bait? What bait? If I want to discuss something with Z06 I'll do so directly, just like I've been doing in another thread.

In that thread, I told Z06 directly that I used to read his posts but after becoming more involved it became evident very quickly that he is nothing more than an Ultra fanboy (That has a nice ring to it). He is very transparent and offers nothing more than regurgitated Internet nonsense. That's why he fails to answer direct questions. He keeps things on his topic where he is comfortable. Same reason his buddies 'Memphis and Nate (and you too, I guess) only participate when they feel it's time for a hug, much like you just did, because they have nothing of technical merit to offer other than links.

Z06 is in fact nothing more than another run-of-the-mill member who really likes the Fram Ultra. If he was anything more he would have said it already.

Originally Posted By: rcy

You're such a troller. Like I'm the only guy here who likes the Ultra or talks about why it's a good filter. Get real ... you only want to troll and bait me for some reason ... pretty simple to see. And for that reason you don't get any respect or deserve any answers to any questions. Go find someone else since you think I don't know anything about filters.

Like I said before, you're still sore from being owned in the WIX XP discussion, so you have to try and dog me somehow. BTW ... the WIX XP is a filter I would never use, even if I got them for free.
eek.gif
Read my signature ... I'm not brand loyal, I'm quality product loyal regardless of the name on it.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey man.. I have a quick question for ya.. I really like my Fram Ultra. It is the very very small 6607. Can I or should I go 12k miles before changing it? Its just so darn small. Thanks
smile.gif

Fram rates it for your application at 15,000 miles and that's probably conservative. I wouldn't worry about running it 15k in a healthy engine. Dnewton has ran cheap filters that far with no issues. The media is dual ply synthetic which has a high capacity for contamination.

I am running the oversized Fram Ultra cross reference compared to my stock filter but I will run it at least 15k maybe even though I change my oil more often I leave the Ultra on for the 15k.

FWIW my oem size filter is a XG3387A which is a tiny filter and is one of the official filters they list for being able to run 15,000 miles which means they tested it for contamination capacity and it's capable even with less actual Media than a big filter.

As many of you may have noticed, I have not been very active on BITOG lately. That is largely in part to serving out my SECOND suspension, levied against me by anonymous moderators. This time, I was banned for 2 weeks for, and I quote, "bashing Fram oil filters." Apparently my next suspension will be permanent. Now, lets be honest here. Everyone has their own favorite oil filter. There are those out there who love Purolator, Fram, Wix, Baldwin/Hastings, etc. and naturally, we give each other a hard time about it, all in good nature of course. Zeeosix and I go back and forth, but it is all in good fun and I hold him in the highest regard for being the leader of the Frampires (thats a joke dont suspend me) and never shying away from a good round of friendly discourse! That being said, am I really to believe that "bashing" any brand of oil filter is grounds for expulsion? And for goodness sake, did anyone else get suspended for bashing Purolator??? Doesn't seem that way!

What position am I in the Frampire?

Thanks man for your insight and help. My car runs great and was very well taken care of by first owner. And I've changed the oil in it every 4k to 6k with either Castrol w titanium, Pennzoil ultra, RP and Havoline. So its pretty darn healthy. Thanks again captain
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
As many of you may have noticed, I have not been very active on BITOG lately. That is largely in part to serving out my SECOND suspension, levied against me by anonymous moderators. This time, I was banned for 2 weeks for, and I quote, "bashing Fram oil filters." Apparently my next suspension will be permanent. Now, lets be honest here. Everyone has their own favorite oil filter. There are those out there who love Purolator, Fram, Wix, Baldwin/Hastings, etc. and naturally, we give each other a hard time about it, all in good nature of course. Zeeosix and I go back and forth, but it is all in good fun and I hold him in the highest regard for being the leader of the Frampires (thats a joke dont suspend me) and never shying away from a good round of friendly discourse! That being said, am I really to believe that "bashing" any brand of oil filter is grounds for expulsion? And for goodness sake, did anyone else get suspended for bashing Purolator??? Doesn't seem that way!

oh oh uh oh oh.... can I be part of the frampire club too??
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors
jk_636, just a matter of time before you slap on an OCOD on your favorite engine. It's inevitable... you will be assimilated
grin.gif

Never. I keep a wooden stake, silver bullets, a crucifix and holy water just for that purpose. To ward off hungry Frampires...

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
JK, this does seem strange and doesn't make any sense to me. All I have noticed you doing is posting your opinions, advice, etc about motor oil/oil filters/etc like everyone else ... sometimes joking around about it in a good way (like you said, all in good nature).

Anyway, it's good to have you back.
smile.gif

Thanks, its good to be back! Just beware of people wearing capes, with sharp fangs and holding OCODs...

Originally Posted By: bbhero
smile.gif

If only there was a way to create a seperate thread in a forum where you could ask such a question...
32.gif

You would have to ask the leaders of the Frampire Nation. I cant tell you who they are though, at risk of being banned...again.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Never. I keep a wooden stake, silver bullets, a crucifix and holy water just for that purpose. To ward off hungry Frampires...

Hummm ... guess you can take it as Frampire as in vampire, or Frampire as in empire. Could be a combo of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back