oil dip stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you noticed this? I bought a 2008 Checrolet Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L engine. The owners manual states the oil capacity is 6 quarts with a filter change. I just changed the oil and filter and after completion and running the engine for a leak check I checked to oil level only to find it was about 3/4 of a quart high on the stick. I have had several 5.3L engines and always installed 6 quarts of oil. It always came to the full mark on the dip stick.
I called the dealer parts department and asked them what the part number was on the correct dip stick for my engine. It was the same number that is printed on the stick installed. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks for your input.

westex

I had the same thing happen to me with my Toyota. OM calls for 6.1 quarts of oil, so I put in 6 quarts and then checked it after running, and it was already above the full mark.

After talking to a few people about it, I decided I was just going to call that good, so I took a centerpunch and made a new "full" mark on my dipstick
grin2.gif

Consider driving to the dealer and bring in your dip stick to to the parts counter for a comparison, Asking the service tech, oil change guy, some questions as well. Don't forget to compare the lines on the dip sticks as well as the length of the dipstick.The napa filter specified for your vehicle is 7060, an alternative is model #1372 napa which is .690 larger in diam. and .737" longer, giving you little larger capacity, by pass xlve setting is only 1# higher, 16# instead if 15# I would try it on for clearance next time you change the oil. I would like extra capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back