Oil consumption despite ring job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: berniedd

Cylinder walls were glass smooth.
Shop didn't do a cyl hone,
the oil consumption has reappeared. Same rate as before

Enough said. drive it like you stole it or tear down and hone.

ALWAYS hone for new rings.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your comments. Ring gap was measured with the new ring 2 inches down from the top of the cylinder. Head job was done 2 years and not too many miles ago, so valve condition was not suspect. Piston to ring gaps were within spec, and the piston oil return holes were open and not coked with carbon. Yes, no cross hatching was observed on the cyl walls. Cylinder honing was not done on the advice of a mechanic who opined it would remove more metal. As expat said, maybe the shop found it too messy to do. Looks like I'll drive it hard for the next 2 thousand miles and see if the rings will seat correctly. If not, we'll bring it back for cyl honing. And also have a look at valve guide clearance, and also change the valve stem seals since the head is off anyway. Shouldn't cost too much time and money. The car's body is in very good condition, it would be a shame to neglect the motor.

Slightly different situation. My aircraft engine, a Lycoming IO-360 was overhauled nearly 300 flight hours ago. It's only now starting to have the "very high" compression and ring sealing of a fresh engine. Sometimes, it just takes time.

As mentioned above, I'd load the engine heavily at mid-range RPM's. Too bad about the lack of honing. As that is necessary.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back