Oil choice before trip; Quick decision

Good morning! Have a emergency and leaving town. Need a oil change before I go. My dealer i normally use is closed. 21 escape 1.5 150,000 miles. Choices are valvolinest instant oil ,pennzoil 10 min, or ford quick lane?? Whats your Choice?

None. Unless if your emergency requires to you put another 4,000 miles onto oil that you already have 15,000 miles on, I would simply get in the car and go.

Plenty of evidence here showing that motor oil simply does not go bad because it has 5k on the clock. Or 10k. If you’re hitting the highway for extending cruising, those are the most gentile miles.

Deal with the emergency, then change the oil with what you wanted in the first place.

I would do the Ford Quick Lane especially if you can find one of the coupons or offers for $39.99. Peace of mind knowing your oil has been changed, tires rotated, and other fluids filled or topped off.

These oil change places are very dependent on who operates them. There is one Quick Lane I will not use in my area, but there are several others I have used and they did a good job. My default is my local walmart. The people there seem to do a good job in making sure the oil change is done properly, and is more convenient that the other choices.

Quick Lane every time...

the one time i used WalMart (because nothing else was open) they did good plus you can pretty much pick your oil and filter from their shelf, id go there before either of your other two.

The OP didn't mention how many miles are on the current, in-use oil.

OP: When would you expect to arrive? If it's not too late in the day, you might get your oil changed once there.
But, today there are 3 NFL games. You're likely to get a skeleton crew of distracted 'children' wherever you go today.
Tomorrow is Sunday.
Maybe just rely on your otherwise great, unwavering maintenance and deal with a common oil change on Monday?

This is a "First World" problem.

None. Unless if your emergency requires to you put another 4,000 miles onto oil that you already have 15,000 miles on, I would simply get in the car and go.

Plenty of evidence here showing that motor oil simply does not go bad because it has 5k on the clock. Or 10k. If you’re hitting the highway for extending cruising, those are the most gentile miles.

Deal with the emergency, then change the oil with what you wanted in the first place.

What he said!

Focus on your emergency. The oil is the least of your concerns. So long as the level is good, send it. Deal with that when you get back.

All of their oils are going to be effectively the same. Choose whichever has the lowest price or is the least out of your way to get to.

Valvoline
I use Valvoline products. I know a guy who'll use no other.

Here, the OP was referring to a Valvoline fast lube place. That they're separately managed was mentioned
The Valvoline quick change I considered had a manager who told me there was no difference among transmission fluids.

You gotta be careful where you take your car....a lot of dog's dirt people in this world who think nothing of lying.
My senses have led me to conclude that being a liar and dishonest in trade is normal -perhaps necessary- to many people.

21 escape 1.5 150,000 miles????
OMG!!

At least you won't have to worry about packing for the trip. You seem to live most of your life inside the vehicle already.

Takes 10 minutes to get the oil changed at any fast oil change place. It probably took you longer to open the tablet - open this website - write your new thread on a keyboard-type device and send it for America to see, than drive to have the oil changed nearby your home.

Have a safe trip and Happy Holidays ahead.

I do live in basically. Deliver medicine. I had 5,000 on some mobil special crap that bell tire put in. I took your advice and made sure it was full and on the road....will be about 700 mile trip. And yes I always have time to ask my fellow Bitog folk a question. Not sure why that bothers you so much but thats all good.....

I use Valvoline products. I know a guy who'll use no other.

Here, the OP was referring to a Valvoline fast lube place. That they're separately managed was mentioned
The Valvoline quick change I considered had a manager who told me there was no difference among transmission fluids.

You gotta be careful where you take your car....a lot of dog's dirt people in this world who think nothing of lying.
My senses have led me to conclude that being a liar and dishonest in trade is normal -perhaps necessary- to many people.
There's so much misinformation in the automotive service industry in general. I think it's that old wives tales are everywhere, but when employees hear it from fellow dealer/OEM trained "experts" the BS sticks because people take that word at face value instead of questioning it. I've met even Master Techs that would spout complete and utter nonsense with full confidence.

Whats your Choice?
DIY FTW with lube and oil filter from local WM. Plenty of sensible and budget friendly choices at WM, including top-tier consumer-grade products. At least you can rest assured that it's done right. Your vehicle is your livelihood, don't mess that up. Either go with the oil you have now and make sure it's topped off, or change it yourself and then go. Or change it yourself after you get back. There is nothing worse than quickie lube.

As long as it's full, deal with the emergency, change when opportunity available.

If you have time, I'd worry more about checking air pressure, fill up the fuel tank, windshield squirter, and quick check of other fluids. Then prepare and contingency issues for the emergency. But I do that anyway normally. I try to not go below 1/4 tank fuel, everything gets checked on 6 vehicles almost weekly.

Emergency = get out and on road ASAP. Since I do all the above normally, we could hop in any car and go at any point. Worst I would probably need would be fuel. Oil would equal one slightly extended OCI and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Back