Oil Change Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the wife's 1998 Infinity QX4 oil filter changed at WM yesterday. They used the bulk oil (Pennzoil) but I chose the ST oil filter instead of the orange one. After paying the bill I noticed the service sticker stated 5W30 bulk Pennzoil was used, after I wanted 10W30 no big deal. I drove the vehicle about 11 miles when I noticed on the sales slip 4.9 quarts for the oil/oil filter change. I checkeed the oil and it was over the full mark. Knowing the vehicle takes 4 quarts with the filter change, I called WM and advised them of the error. They advised me to bring the vehicle in, and they would take care of the problem without my waiting around. The problem was corrected and I checked the oil again, and now it is at the full mark.I don't think any harm was done to the engine only driving 11 miles with a quart of oil above the full mark? What do you guys think? Oh, and WM gave me a 50% off price next oil change, don't think I will go back there again. I will take it to the Nissan dealer as before.

Ruby
dunno.gif

Very unlikely any damage was done. Most cars can run 1 quart high without any problem. I used to take my cars to WalMart for oil changes, and I always checked the level before I left...never found any problem though. Now I do it myself. It doesn't save any money, but it keeps me in touch with my cars.
quote:

Originally posted by Ruby:
I had the wife's 1998 Infinity QX4 oil filter changed at WM yesterday. They used the bulk oil (Pennzoil) but I chose the ST oil filter instead of the orange one. After paying the bill I noticed the service sticker stated 5W30 bulk Pennzoil was used, after I wanted 10W30 no big deal. I drove the vehicle about 11 miles when I noticed on the sales slip 4.9 quarts for the oil/oil filter change. I checkeed the oil and it was over the full mark. Knowing the vehicle takes 4 quarts with the filter change, I called WM and advised them of the error. They advised me to bring the vehicle in, and they would take care of the problem without my waiting around. The problem was corrected and I checked the oil again, and now it is at the full mark.I don't think any harm was done to the engine only driving 11 miles with a quart of oil above the full mark? What do you guys think? Oh, and WM gave me a 50% off price next oil change, don't think I will go back there again. I will take it to the Nissan dealer as before.

Ruby
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ruby:
....I don't think any harm was done to the engine only driving 11 miles with a quart of oil above the full mark? What do you guys think?....

Ruby
dunno.gif

I agree; Don't lose any sleep over it. It didn't hurt a thing.

Thanks CJH,

I really don't mind changing the oil either but my Ford Power Stroke Diesel is easy to deal with than the wife's QX4. The oil filter on her vehicle is a pain to get at.

Thanks again

yeah, shouldnt be a problem.

maybe give them another shot on the next oil change since they gave you 50% off. i would just check stuff before you leave.

Re: QX4 oil filter placement. I was delighted when I got under my new 06 Mustang GT for the first oil change. The filter is so easy to access that you can actually get both hands on it. Why can't all vehicles be designed as well? Some Hondas and VW's I have seen were almost impossible.

I know what you mean. Like I said, I have a Ford F350 7.3 Turbo Diesel and the oil filter is very easy to get to (under engine driver side)I think some auto-makers design the hard to reach stuff on purpose so you have to bring it to them.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

A number of recent engine designs use a cannister oil filter element that can be accessed topside. Mercedes, BMW, GM's "Ecotec", and the Hyundai "Lambda" series V6 are several that come to mind. There apparently are signs of intelligent life budding on planet earth.

(Actually the idea's nothing new. My dad's '49 Ford flathead V8 had a bracket-mounted Purolator oil filter with a toilet paper roll sized cannister inside. It was a factory installed accessory that added $10.00 to the price of the car. I remember going with him to Pep Boys before every oil change and paying under 40 cents for replacemement elements. Except for pricing, the more things change, the more they stay the...)

[ April 30, 2006, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by Old Mustang Guy:
Re: QX4 oil filter placement. I was delighted when I got under my new 06 Mustang GT for the first oil change. The filter is so easy to access that you can actually get both hands on it. Why can't all vehicles be designed as well? Some Hondas and VW's I have seen were almost impossible.

Include Mazda in this designer's hall of fame as well.

There is never a danger of having to much oil. The only thing that can happen if you put WAY to much in, is that the crank throws will strike the top of the oil pool and cause a little drag. There is also a chance of the oil foaming a little when being struck by the crankshaft, which in rare cases, can cause oil pump cavitation. You would have to put in at least 6 quarts (in your case) for this to happen, but I'm guessing on that figure.

On a side note: I don't know what these manufactures are thinking when they build a car with only a 4 quart sump.

My '05 PIlot is very easy to get to...

You don't even have to jack the vehicle up to change the oil & filter. Just turn the wheel all the way to the rigth and you can reach your hand in, in front of the passenger side wheel and remove the oil filter.

Easiest vehicle I've ever done.

My Ford manuals warn that excessive overfill can cause engine or seal damage, but they allow for about 5/8 inch over full on the stick before that.

Still, Ruby is fine with his brief overfill.

On my '95 F150's inline six I change the oil filter from above by leaning over the fender. Can put a prefilled filter on with hardly a drop spilled even though the filter goes on horizontally.

quote:

There is never a danger of having to much oil.

I would'nt go as far as stating "no danger".

Running more than a quart over for long term is getting into a gray area, as aerated or foamed oil is not a good lubricant.

More oil mist may be generated and produce undesireable amounts of oil in the PCV system and the intake throttle body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back