Oil age doesn't seem to matter

I stumbled across this article describing how Blackstone tested old(er), low mileage oil and determined that miles matter way more than time.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/motor-oil-age-doesnt-matter-as-much-as-mileage-study

Anyway, what other forum would I link it? Now argue!
Well ya, but when it comes to a maintenance regime using time as a component is useful because other things can also be addressed at that time (ex, Engine and Cabin air filters, Fuel filters (diesel)). It's also worth noting that in the US a lot of automakers use the lesser of 1yr/X miles for oil changes. Not adhering to this could be an issue with a potential buyer of the vehicle because most people who are interested in vehicle maintenance don't believe in adhering to the factory OCI.

I never understood how something that's been in the ground for over a million years could go "bad" after one.
Fully formulated motor oils have been in the ground for over a million years?

An oil's performance isn't just the base stock molecules. Even so, not all those molecules are the same either especially considering the environment in an ICE or other engine.

Fully formulated motor oils have been in the ground for over a million years?

An oil's performance isn't just the base stock molecules. Even so, not all those molecules are the same either especially considering the environment in an ICE or other engine.
I don’t really understand how wood can rot sitting outside after only a few months… I mean the tree it came from was sitting outside for 50 years, right?

I tend to agree; the oil's properties are "used up" by driving it, not by sitting dormant.

SO IF YOU ONLY DO 1K/YEAR, DOES THE ADDATIVES DROP OUT, STAY SUSPENDED, DISAPPEAR?

SO IF YOU ONLY DO 1K/YEAR, DOES THE ADDATIVES DROP OUT, STAY SUSPENDED, DISAPPEAR?
Check out your own thread about that:

Check out your own thread about that:

LMAO

I discovered on my own about 15 years ago that in my mom's VW Golf she could go 2 years between changes, I was running GC 0w30 in her car and she was only driving 3k a year (all short trips too) The UOAs showed the oil to be in good shape still after two years. I also did a two year interval in my old C6 Corvette as well, I believe it was somewhere between 7-9k on that oil. UOA also looked good. I'm not sure I would want to do more than a year in a direct injected engine though, not without having done a UOA to show that fuel dilution isn't a concern.

stays suspended, if drops out additives mix up as soon as you start the engine..........If I change yearly, I will change in the spring of the year, I think that makes the most sense to eliminate engine wear.

I think climate has a lot to do with how long an oil will last in an engine that sits. An engine sitting in a climate controlled garage will be much different from one sitting outside in the elements. The biggest hinderance to oil life would likely be water dilution from condensation. It would also be affected by the conditions the last time the engine was run or how it was used during. Moving once a week for 5 minutes is likely much worse than moving once every 3 months for 1 hour.

Last edited:
I don’t really understand how wood can rot sitting outside after only a few months… I mean the tree it came from was sitting outside for 50 years, right?
but if the tree eventually rots and falls, will it make a sound if no one is around?

Back