"Officer, I didn't realize how fast I was going."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
The Canadian TV report has to be a typo..Canada has used KPH since 1977 ..makes sense if the Chevy Malibu was doing 140kph or 87mph..that sounds about right.

Nope, because he wouldn't have had the vehicle impounded and that huge of a fine for 40 over. The linked Canadian article says he was doing 226Km/h.

Originally Posted By: 2sld3kf2bt
You can easily disable those speed governors with a mod chip. Not that I'd ever chance going over 100 in a GM made car, ever.

Prize for the stupidest thing I have read on here. Congrats.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: 2sld3kf2bt
You can easily disable those speed governors with a mod chip. Not that I'd ever chance going over 100 in a GM made car, ever.

Prize for the stupidest thing I have read on here. Congrats.

I don't think it's that stupid. You shouldn't be going that fast in any car -- on a public road. Ok -- he could have left the "GM" thing out.
smile.gif

I too was shocked that a rental Malibu went that fast. Most family sedans are governed way below that. Most rentals are the bare-bones, smallest-powered engine available. Maybe the Canadian flavors have different tunes?

That is not what he meant and you know it. I already said it was stupid to go that fast, meaning on a public road. At the track I do it routinely.

Most vehicles are governed not to exceed the speed rating of the OEM tires. With a tail wind, and a grade a lot of cars can go faster than they are supposed to. Trucks, for example will shut off at 99mph because that is the max "safe" speed of the OEM tire.

Last edited:
Hopefully the car cannot actually do the speed they state.

My cousin got out of a 130MPH out of state ticket in a 1987 Sentra becuase he provided all sorts of evidence that car could not go the speed officer stated. I believe max speed of car was <100MPH so they threw out the ticket. He did this all remotely by mail.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I didn't know a Chevy Malibu could even reach that speed.

if it was slippery, he was probably sliding down the hill.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

My cousin got out of a 130MPH out of state ticket in a 1987 Sentra becuase he provided all sorts of evidence that car could not go the speed officer stated.

now the question is how did he do it?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
I've had it up to 80 and the tach was only about 1900 RPMs.

overdrive, not for top speed.

Unless it is an M-car or equivalent
wink.gif
My top speed is in 6th gear (OD) at 7,000RPM.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I didn't know a Chevy Malibu could even reach that speed.

I am surprised as well.

I can test mine on the way home from work today. Well, maybe
crazy.gif

Haha I didn't mean it as a GM bash, more that the car should be governed for a lower speed. I doubt he programmed a rental car.

When I was younger and stupid, I drive 100 mph five hours straight. In 500 miles, not one cop pulled me over. I was excited to see a girl. 100 is the most I ever did in my life. It was in 87 corolla, the car shook like crazy. I am much wiser and drive like an old [censored] worrying about engine wear

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
When I was younger and stupid, I drive 100 mph five hours straight. In 500 miles, not one cop pulled me over. I was excited to see a girl. 100 is the most I ever did in my life. It was in 87 corolla, the car shook like crazy. I am much wiser and drive like an old [censored] worrying about engine wear
And a piece of tail isn't quite as appealing as it once was either eh? Shut up Hosteen, you're giving your own miserable 28 year old self away.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

I hope she was a supermodel for you to drive at that speed.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
Cripes my 8000lb pickup has hit 140, verified by GPS. Why cant a light car do that, factory speed limiters can be removed with a little programming.

The consumer grade GPS are not really that accurate at higher speeds.

My Garmin recorded my stock LS1 GTO at 174 MPH. Not enough horsepower to overcome the drag to reach that speed, so clearly not accurate.

But I have no doubt the HF V6 could push into the upper 130's.

So, not quite on the topic of the OP, but definitely on the topic of the thread title:

I've been stopped for speeding a few times, and I try not to argue about my speed -- which also means I never admit to what the officer claims. Last time, though, a calm but VERY stern state trooper totally reversed it on me. He said that if I was going that fast AND had no idea I was doing it, that was grounds to tack on a charge of reckless driving to an already large speeding ticket. He then said I needed to think very carefully about the next words I said, because that could make the difference between a speeding ticket and jail time. Gotta say I was impressed, and I wonder why most cops don't take that line. Maybe it's because they can't pull it off without being extremely un-professional...

I think most speed enforcement is a barely-mitigaed racket, but it's always nice to see a cop who -- in a completely professional way -- doesn't take any nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back