OEM hubs for $30? I'll take two!

1000002410.jpg
20240430_180850.jpg

1000002406.jpg

1000002407.jpg

1000002408.jpg

Discovered these beauties while researching rear hubs for my Regal. For those unfamiliar: the rear hubs on all Epsilon II based cars are splined, even though most are front wheel drive. Some models based on the Epsilon II platform have optional AWD, so GM used identical bearings on each corner and called it good enough regardless of whether the car actually needed splined rear hubs.

Another fun fact: the Epsilon II cars share their hubs with.... The 5th gen Camaro! Gotta love cost-saving. Armed with that knowledge, I browsed what was available and landed on the FW430's seen here. These are the ONLY non-splined hubs I found, and they're only used up front on '14-'15 Camaro's with the 1LE performance package. As far as I can tell, they're made by Timken.

Hoping to get around to installing them this weekend, in the last couple hundred miles the current hubs went from a dull hum around 40 to a full on buzz and all speeds 🙄

Last edited:
Soooo.... even without a stub shaft holding them together, they don't come apart in use?

Soooo.... even without a stub shaft holding them together, they don't come apart in use?
The stub shaft doesn't hold hub bearings together. If the bearing fails, the axle nut CAN keep the spindle from separating from the rest of the bearing assembly, but that's not their intent.

Reactions: D60
The stub shaft doesn't hold hub bearings together. If the bearing fails, the axle nut CAN keep the spindle from separating from the rest of the bearing assembly, but that's not their intent.
There are 2 types of wheel bearing assemblies....one is held together by the stub shaft, and one is "roll formed" and doesn't require a stub shaft.

Both can have splined holes, or no splined holes.

Some have a cover over the back with a big but to hold the bearing together, some have the hub section longer than (what used to be) normal so that it protrudes through the back of the bearing about 1/2" or so, and is then mushroomed or roll formed over the inboard inner race to retain things and set preload.

Back